UT - Arlington (11/22/11)

UTA fan here. Not gonna talk noise because I respect UNT and their fans and appreciate ya'll let me talk hoops with ya'll every year. But I must admit, this felt good.

UTA is not real tall, but a very athletic team. UNT looked tentative from the opening tip. UTA applied serious full-court pressure--double-teaming the ballhandler and after about 6 or 7 possessions (and UTA making everything we put up, or at least getting the rebounds for what we and UNT missed), the Mean Green could tell they were in for a long night. Coach Cross has been saying for several years we needed to get better defensively, pull down rebounds, get tougher and more athletic. Coach Cross has players that can do that. A lot of UNT turnovers turned into easy points.

The one thing, though, that I've wondered the last few years though...with the size ya'll seem to usually have...why don't ya'll play more pick-and-roll or try to establish more offense in the paint? Seems like UNT shoots a lot of 3-pointers and long jump shots, which tend to be easily rebounded. UTA can shoot the 3, but I think just penetrating and getting to the free throw line really helped tonight...Butler, Catlett, Reed, Redmon, Miller, etc. UNT got into foul trouble fairly early, and we didn't really have to shoot the 3 unless it was open. And for UTA, it was nice to see our two big centers Reves and Lagerson blocking shots and getting into the offense.

We've got Baylor tomorrow night, so what happened to ya'll tonight could very easily happen to us tomorrow. So I'm not gonna talk noise, but good luck the rest of the way. You've got a young team that can shoot the 3 very well...good stuff in the future for ya'll.

Thanks for stopping by. It must be painful to not have many UTA fans to talk basketball with.

I wouldn't be so sure about being a small team. you are plenty tall, and plenty athletic. We don't play pick and roll because at any given time we had 3-4 guys out there who aren't used to playing with each other, and when we did pick and roll, your guys knew it was coming and stepped in front.

We were a good 3 pt shooting team last year. This year, we don't know what we are or what we have. Disarray at this point, hopefully we will be a team by the time this road trip is over.

Also while we were down by 40 points I was slightly amused when UNT was able to score a bucket somebody had a sign saying "You mad bro?" I dont know why but it made my chuckle.

And after the game while I was heading out I noticed a few UNT young people getting in match some some of the UTA band members. The UNT folks were yelling something along the lines of "we go to a real school and we actually have the #1 ranked music school!!!!!" I must admit it was quite weird.

The one thing, though, that I've wondered the last few years though...with the size ya'll seem to usually have...why don't ya'll play more pick-and-roll or try to establish more offense in the paint?

We have some tough guys in the paint, but our veteran big guys are pretty much on the short side, and aren't really what I would call great offensive players. Most of our young size seems to want to play the 2-Guard. At least for the moment.

We have some tough guys in the paint, but our veteran big guys are pretty much on the short side, and aren't really what I would call great offensive players. Most of our young size seems to want to play the 2-Guard. At least for the moment.

How is 6'8" on the short side.....? We have three vetren bigs at 68"

• Upvote 1

I think UNT fans that went tonight got to experience the mystique of Texas Hall...but also that UTA will never have the same home-court advantage once we move into the new arena. College Park Center will be nice, but the noise level and intimate atmosphere of Texas Hall will be hard to replace. Look up Vanderbilt's facility sometime--they play on a stage too. The crowd was 1388--at least 500 UNT fans. They were very vocal but luckily we took them out of the game early. The UNT fans sitting around me and on the way to the parking lot were really nice and had some nice things to say about the team and our campus. Very classy fans as always.

I think UNT fans that went tonight got to experience the mystique of Texas Hall...but also that UTA will never have the same home-court advantage once we move into the new arena. College Park Center will be nice, but the noise level and intimate atmosphere of Texas Hall will be hard to replace. Look up Vanderbilt's facility sometime--they play on a stage too. The crowd was 1388--at least 500 UNT fans. They were very vocal but luckily we took them out of the game early. The UNT fans sitting around me and on the way to the parking lot were really nice and had some nice things to say about the team and our campus. Very classy fans as always.

Glad we conducted ourselves well. Now that yall seem to have a new board up and running I'll try and stop by sometime like I used to.

Good luck on your season.

I made the trip, my thoughts about things unrelated to our crappy play and UTA's great night:

The officiating was shitty and even when the game was decided (EARLY ON), they found a way to insert themselves into it.

If anyone wants to debate Denton's support of UNT, go to a UTA game and feel good about Denton.

This brings me to my last point. The city of Arlington sucks ass. It's unfortunate that it has to be in the name of an otherwise reputable institution.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

How is 6'8" on the short side.....? We have three vetren bigs at 68"

Last I checked, Holmen listed at 6'8", Zo listed at 6'7", Hogans listed at 6'7", and I think that's stretching it a bit unless at least 2 of those 3 have suddenly grown. That's pretty short when you consider that only Hogans is a proven commodity down low, and he has not exactly been devoid of injuries through his carreer. If they can somehow stay healthy and improve throughout the season, I think they're big and tough enough to get the job done. Especially with the addition of TM.

Officials were not an issue!

No they weren't, and we didn't lose the game because of them, but that was some of the worst, home cooking I have ever seen. Needless to say UTA was ready to play and they drilled us. We just flat out stank tonight. I just hope the team learns from this quickly.

• Upvote 1

That was an easy call, williams clearly pushed through the screen while the shot was being released! The officiating was pretty good considering what kind of game they had.

Actually the officiating was horrible and inconsistent (not even between the teams). Here I thought UTA didn't have a football team, but the five guys they put out there last night didn't seem to know that. Our play was brutal and the refs didn't cost us the game, but they were so bad they should be kept in the middle school ranks from now on and that might be generous.

• Upvote 1

Actually the officiating was horrible and inconsistent (not even between the teams). Here I thought UTA didn't have a football team, but the five guys they put out there last night didn't seem to know that. Our play was brutal and the refs didn't cost us the game, but they were so bad they should be kept in the middle school ranks from now on and that might be generous.

Spoken like a true fan of a team! Placing partial blame on the refs. Sad but I guess that's just how it is, hell even the uta fans were yelling at the officials while they were up by 40. Fans are idiots & I guess ours are no different! 19 turnovers for unt, how many turnovers did the refs have? 5 of 25 shots in the 1st half, let's be real people we just sucked last night.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Spoken like a true fan of a team! Placing partial blame on the refs. Sad but I guess that's just how it is, hell even the uta fans were yelling at the officials while they were up by 40. Fans are idiots & I guess ours are no different! 19 turnovers for unt, how many turnovers did the refs have? 5 of 25 shots in the 1st half, let's be real people we just sucked last night.

You have popped off with several statements that are only slightly based in reality (seeing things in incoming recruits that no one else does) and then call other people idiots...um, ok. :blink:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This was the first time I've ever turned off a game. 41-6 is when I quit... it sounded like the guys had given up, so why shouldn't I?

Let's hope this is a blip and not a precursor. Actually, let's hope this is a galvanizing, turning-point, don't-ever-let-this-happen-again kind of game.

All the talk of the top 30 recruiting class is valid. These guys will be good and there's a reason these guys are so highly regarded, but please be prepared for them to struggle this season while learning the ropes. Especially prior to Mitchell riding in.

I'm looking forward to a much better showing against MS St. & Texas.

It might have been an easy call. I just don't know that I've seen it before. It seems like they usually wave off the basket. I usually don't complain about officiating and there's no doubt that it didn't affect the outcome. In the second half we got away with a few calls. It probably evened out in the end. But it was sure called tight at the beginning and it seemed we couldn't get a break. I think everyone here knows why we lost.

You are a fan of our team as well. We're happy to have you so you don't have to try to distance yourself. You have to understand that army of dad and army of mom are very tough on officials. Embarrassingly vocal sometimes, but they go to damn near every game and we are happy to have them too. Fans arent idiots. They spend a lot of time watching games. Are you a player or coach?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You are a fan of our team as well. We're happy to have you so you don't have to try to distance yourself. You have to understand that army of dad and army of mom are very tough on officials. Embarrassingly vocal sometimes, but they go to damn near every game and we are happy to have them too. Fans arent idiots. They spend a lot of time watching games. Are you a player or coach?

Or a ............ referee!!! duh duh dunnnnn

tumblr_litifscFve1qzztv7.gif

• Upvote 1