New Wrinkle Regarding CUSA

UNTflyer

I know that the few hardcore blazer fans are pretty dejected right now. The problem is, there arent many hardcore fans.

Ive been to Uab to watch marshall twice. The first time, 2009, there might have been 15k in the stands. The second time, llast year, I think all of them could have come on about five buses.

Basically the BOT did the fiscally responsible thing and said no to 75 million that Uab could never ever get back in its current state. If Uab becomes even a respectible program I think they will revisit the stadium issue.

I know that the few hardcore blazer fans are pretty dejected right now. The problem is, there arent many hardcore fans.

Ive been to Uab to watch marshall twice. The first time, 2009, there might have been 15k in the stands. The second time, llast year, I think all of them could have come on about five buses.

Basically the BOT did the fiscally responsible thing and said no to 75 million that Uab could never ever get back in its current state. If Uab becomes even a respectible program I think they will revisit the stadium issue.

Ouch! That does sound a lot more likely than the big, bad BOT from Alabama was scared of UAB competing for recruits as I keep reading from UAB message board posters. Do you think this causes them to drop FBS ball any time soon? That would mean just 8 schools which worked great for the old Big 8 for over three decades.

While "If you build it, they will come" may not necessarily be true, "If you don't build it, they won't come" is much more true. On the surface, it does seem suspicious. But Troy was able to upgrade their stadium within the past 10 years, and is surviving. Is Troy not under the same Board of Trustees? What about South Alabama upgrading their program to FBS - again, are they not under the same Board of Trustees?

What if UAB was in the SunBelt, or was FCS - would they be allowed to build a new stadium then? I know, there's no answer for a hypothetical question like that.

It makes me even more thankful that we finally have Apogee Stadium.

I really feel for the hardcore UAB fans, however many there may or may not be. It's tough to build a following when you play off campus in the venue that they do. It's a big gamble, I can see why the board would be concerned. Look @ Akron's new stadium, that definitely didn't pay off for them. They've got a great hoops program and they are definitely part of why I want UNT to be in CUSA.

I dont think UAB will drop to FCS, but I do think that the Blazers are right where the Tide want them... At the bottom of whatever league they are in.

The only way Uab will get a chance to grow there program is by winning. If they can even win five or six games per year and gain some interest they might be able to justify 75 million.

I'm so glad C. Dan and our board did not take this approach when the Apogee vote results hit their table...

Any moron knows that in order to be successful, you have to spend money. I'm sure the Alabama BOT are fully aware of this. So to me it sounds like they are knowingly resigning any expectations for UAB to be successful.

I dont think UAB will drop to FCS, but I do think that the Blazers are right where the Tide want them... At the bottom of whatever league they are in.

The only way Uab will get a chance to grow there program is by winning. If they can even win five or six games per year and gain some interest they might be able to justify 75 million.

$75 million by the time UAB would break ground will not build much. A handful have said that Apogee Stadium would cost $100 million (minimum) if we started from scratch next week.

Even Chuck Neinas in my signature below below said we were getting a whole lot of stadium for just $78 million and truth be known......we are.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of steps between "keeping the status quo" and borrowing $75 million you can't possibly pay back.

Who decides this? Wasn't it public perception that a $78 million stadium was a huge mistake for UNT?

Did you read the story?

An excerpt: " The stadium funding has been structured to be at worst case revenue neutral. No student fees are necessary. UAB has already raised $15 million and sold 25 of 33 luxury boxes nine months before the 1st shovel was scheduled to contact earth. Land has been acquired, major concessions by the city of Birmingham attained..."

• Upvote 1