Tidbits from Mac Coaches Show Tonight

Harry

Troy game moved to noon.

Thompson landed on his helmet causing the concussion.

States CLEARLY Thompson is number 1, McNulty 2 and Osborn 3. Doesn't pay attention to outside; knows who can play through evaluation as does Chico.

Cut blocking by ASU was a big issue, most were clean some were not but all in all we didn't handle it well.

3rd and 4th stringers will get a lot of time in off week.

No practice Friday or Saturday.

Coaches will get off on Saturday first day off since July.

Daughter Melanie coming into town this weekend. Looking forward to spending time with her.

Team has never quit, proud of that.

Goal to get to 6 wins.

November is important to recruiting, selling the future.

Wants to break all time attendance record this season.

Recruiting for assistants

16 schools in DFW for each coach. Heart and soul will be Texas high schools. Scotty Conley is point person for leads.

Wants players that will help us win in non conference not just the Sun Belt.

This post has been promoted to an article

Then maybe a better "knows who can play through evaluation as does Chico" process can occur when wasting a scholarship on someone you obviously don't feel is a football player on the DI level. Honestly...all coaching accolades aside. What has AM showed you that reinforces your ability to "know who can play"? We are all wondering and very few of us think he is the answer.

I have a question for those that know football better than I. This may just be semantics, but if you have a scholarship on a D-1 football team, why would you not be considered a D-1 football player even if you don't see the field?

I have interviewed a few guys and girls that included collegiate scholarship athlete on their resume. I am confident they all sweat, miss a lot of school for which they are held responsible and put in a great deal of hours in practice, weight room, film prep, team and position meetings, travel and game duty, whether they ever play or not.

I like to see kids, and adults for that matter, work for what they get. Those that don't blame their coaches/bosses for their failures, and are don't give them a great deal of credit for their successes, are the folks I want on my team. Accountability and self worth without self adoration are important on a team, in an office and in life.

And I believe most, if not all, of our players fit that mold.

Take some time to heal, get better and FINISH.

GMG

Then maybe a better "knows who can play through evaluation as does Chico" process can occur when wasting a scholarship on someone you obviously don't feel is a football player on the DI level. Honestly...all coaching accolades aside. What has AM showed you that reinforces your ability to "know who can play"? We are all wondering and very few of us think he is the answer.

Didn't you read...through evaluation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Through evaluation?

States CLEARLY Thompson is number 1, McNulty 2 and Osborn 3. Doesn't pay attention to outside; knows who can play through evaluation as does Chico.

I'm going to take Coach Mac's evaluation over anyone on this board till I see someone with the football credentials to match him.

Please tell me how many times you have seem McNutly throw a pass? Now how many times have you seen Osborne throw a pass?

Now compare those answers to how many times Mac and Chico have seen them in action over the course of Spring Ball, Summer Workouts, Fall Camp, and all the practices since the season started. I'm going to guess it's not even 1/100 of the amount they have seen.

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Agree H-town. I trust my players, and my coaches.

They don't "mail it in" on the road.

They do their best every day, and do so, proudly, for their school, for their families and for themselves.

Sometimes that is not good enough, but I don't question their effort, their heart or their intent.

Players, coaches: if I have given you too much credit, please come tell me I am wrong.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm going to take Coach Mac's evaluation over anyone on this board till I see someone with the football credentials to match him.

Please tell me how many times you have seem McNutly throw a pass? Now how many times have you seen Osborne throw a pass?

Now compare those answers to how many times Mac and Chico have seen them in action over the course of Spring Ball, Summer Workouts, Fall Camp, and all the practices since the season started. I'm going to guess it's not even 1/100 of the amount they have seen.

Garret Gilbert was the better QB at Texas during spring ball, summer workouts and fall practice, but he didn't get it done during the games so a change was made. People just don't understand why Osbourne isn't getting a chance when McNulty has proved to be completely ineffective.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Garret Gilbert was the better QB at Texas during spring ball, summer workouts and fall practice, but he didn't get it done during the games so a change was made. People just don't understand why Osbourne isn't getting a chance when McNulty has proved to be completely ineffective.

I don't get what else people don't get about this situation. McCarney has stated very clearly for 2 weeks in a row that one guy is simply performing head and shoulders above another guy week in and week out. Both guys know when they are being evaluated (in practice) and on what they are being evaluated.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unless Number 3 is physically or mentally deficient in some way, our Rivals 3 Star QB should at least see mopup duty. We certainly need this "special person" to get some reps in case our Number 2 future HOF'er gets injured, because it's pretty clear that our talented Number 1 is a bit injury prone. Since the chosen Number 2 has been chosen without ANY chance of reconsideration, I guess all we can do now is pray for the health of Number 1.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Hell.... Mac's been watching McNulty throw passes since he was in diapers....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think that we're totally missing the boat on who should be getting PT under center.

Who has the highest completition percentage, who has the highest QB rating, who is averaging the most yards per completition, who is the best runner?

This guy is clearly the best option. This guy is James Hamilton.

• Upvote 2

Look at the stats. Is McNutly really performing that poorly when compared to everyone else? He had 2 int's in his first start, which isn't that surprising when talking about a True Freshman.

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT

Derek Thompson 104 192 1151 54.2 6.00 7 3 113.4

Andrew McNulty 28 51 352 54.9 6.90 1 3 107.6

Brent Osborn 13 21 127 61.9 6.05 2 0 144.1

Decision making, McNulty has 3 INT's = 2 returned for TD's and the other was thrown in the Red Zone.

Outside of garbage time McNulty did nothing against Tulsa and ASU, he also bungled the AL drive headed by Osborne inside the Red Zone.

Also how many plays Mcnulty has compared to Osborne is very telling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I got stories too.

There was a kid named Tim Tebow who was a 3rd string QB. The coaches said that he was clearly the 3rd string QB, and that it wasn't even close. He got in a few times in mop up duty and did ok. The fans start ranting and raving. This goes on for weeks/months on end. Coaches continue to say "we see the competition everyday in practice and we're staying with the pecking order we have". Fans continue to ask for the "chosen one" to be brought up the depth chart. How's that worked out for everyone?

• Upvote 2