CBS Reporting SMU and UH next two

Harry

With the expected addition of Boise State, Air Force, Navy and UCF and the defections of TCU, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, that would leave the football membership at 10 schools, two shy of the 12 members the league said on Monday it was seeking.

Houston, SMU and Temple are being considered for the final two spots. However, one source said Houston and SMU are expected to get the final two spots because of Villanova’s concerns about adding Temple into the league.

Boise State, Air Force and Navy would join as football-only members. UCF, Houston and SMU would join as full members.

The Mountain West source also told CBSSports.com that the addition of Boise State, Air Force, Navy and UCF are, in terms of market, TV and football value, would be at least even with Syracuse, Pittsburgh and TCU.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32716356

According to Harry's info, SMU wouldn't be in "Mountain USA"--they'd be in the Big East.

I was responding to Elpasoeagle who said good luck ponies as in he hopes they go to the Big East. I was saying that I hope they do as well because that is the only way UNT will get a spot in Mountain USA because they have no need as long as SMU there.

You beat me to it. Everyone who wished for SMUt to get into the Big East may get their wish. If NT doesn't get into the MWC/CUSA conference, prepare for a generation of irrelevance.

We can still control our own destiny. All we have to do is win and keep on winning. If that happens we can still fill Apogee because we can still have a non conference schedule of schools that people know and care about and still be able to win those games.

Smut going to the Big LEast is good news for UNT if the CUSA/MWC football merger actually happens. It makes UNT the only school available to CUSA/MWC for the DFW market. I think our value just went up! :)

To quote Ed MacMahon, "You are correct sir!"

Keep drinking... Shots maybe?

The more I drink, the better I'm feeling about this whole thing.

We've got to get butts in the stadium the rest of this year - and also make sure our BB attendance is great. Our academics and facilities are in order - we need to show that people really care about the programs and will support them with attendance.

Exactly... As long as they do not think that the total parts of the MERGER does not get them into the DFW market, UNT is in.

Explain how the total parts of the merger would get them into DFW? I dont follow that. Is it because they have to connect flights at DFW or Love? How would they explain that to the family of a recruit in DFW? To think that CUSA ( which is based here) and the Mountain West would summarily decide that they didn't need representation in this market makes no sense to me. To me this merger means nothing. It's an association for the purposes of leveraging the BCS for an auto bid bowl nothing more. I think people are getting confused about this concept. CUSA and Mountain West are not merging and forming a new conference.. They are forming an association which they hope will provide them more clout with the BCS. Nothing more.

Explain how the total parts of the merger would get them into DFW? I dont follow that. Is it because they have to connect flights at DFW or Love? How would they explain that to the family of a recruit in DFW? To think that CUSA ( which is based here) and the Mountain West would summarily decide that they didn't need representation in this market makes no sense to me. To me this merger means nothing. It's an association for the purposes of leveraging the BCS for an auto bid bowl nothing more. I think people are getting confused about this concept. CUSA and Mountain West are not merging and forming a new conference.. They are forming an association which they hope will provide them more clout with the BCS. Nothing more.

Maybe I'm just terminally optimistic - but I think our location in a major TV market will work in our favor.

• Upvote 1

For those doubting a need for a DFW presence, don't kid yourselves. There's a reason SMU & TCU are the first to get considerations for invites. There's a reason Jerry World hosts many regular season college games. There's a reason Texas-OU is played in Dallas. There's a reason the Cotton Bowl continues to be played in the DFW metroplex. RECRUITING.

The North Texas area is a hotbed for football talent. It's important for conferences to be able to play games and showcase their schools in this area. It's a key factor in drawing talent to their respective universities.

UNT is in a very good position right now, IMO....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1