McCarney on Why He Started McNulty

Harry

well, if the kid was an obvious talent i would give him the nod but he is not ready and any "EXPERIENCED HC" would have seen that and not sacraficed a winnable game just so he could experiment with a project...... and i would not thrown chico in with that decision, you can see it all over his face he is as frustrated as anyone with some of this decision making......

The decision to start Mcnulty was coach Mac's and it turned bad, but why not admit your mistake and try Osborn in the second half? I think coach Mac needs to let Canales run the offense from personnel to play calling. I don't think the lack of offensive production this year can be blamed on coach Canales. These coaches are good and will figure it out/

See yall Saturday.

well, if the kid was an obvious talent i would give him the nod but he is not ready and any "EXPERIENCED HC" would have seen that and not sacraficed a winnable game just so he could experiment with a project...... and i would not thrown chico in with that decision, you can see it all over his face he is as frustrated as anyone with some of this decision making......

Hate to tell you this but Tulsa on the road was not a winnable game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

alabama on the road is not winnable, Tulsa sir is a winnable game

I'm not sure what UNT you've been watching the last 6 seasons. I'm not sure what Tulsa you've kept track of over the last 6+ seasons. This was by no means a winnable game.

Vegas line was 23. Thats no where close to a winnable game.

• Downvote 1

The decision to start Mcnulty was coach Mac's and it turned bad, but why not admit your mistake and try Osborn in the second half? I think coach Mac needs to let Canales run the offense from personnel to play calling. I don't think the lack of offensive production this year can be blamed on coach Canales. These coaches are good and will figure it out/

See yall Saturday.

Second half? Why not towards the end of the first quarter? If you were really trying to win the game and had BCS coaching experience why would you not try the QB who has already proven himself when it comes to game time? What is it that I fail to see?

This isn't soccer! You can always put Macnulty back in. Right?

happens all the time, 40 + point spreads are very rare to win outright but it happens, Vegas is all perception does not mean no chance. We would have had to play perfect but definetly winnable did not say we would win,,,, there is a difference. study your point spreads holmes, and you will see 20 point dogs win quite often.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

happens all the time, 40 + point spreads are very rare to win outright but it happens, Vegas is all perception does not mean no chance. We would have had to play perfect but definetly winnable did not say we would win,,,, there is a difference. study your point spreads holmes, and you will see 20 point dogs win quite often.

Isn't every game technically "winnable"???

Please tell me how often 23 pt dogs win on the road. My guess is not very often.

really, did he really say that the only reason Osborn did well was because he played against the back ups. i don't think i have ever heard a coach call out the success of a player simply to make sure his decision is not seen as a bad one. I am really starting to doubt this man is the answer. CHICO was teh answer now he is simply having his strings pulled by a coach that is forcing Mcnulty into the starting line up. Hope he learns quick and can do it, because like it or not he will be our starting QB for the next 4 years

In the DRC today.

Isn't every game technically "winnable"???

Please tell me how often 23 pt dogs win on the road. My guess is not very often.

I couldn't find any figures to show what % chance to win a 23 point dog would have to win. The lowest it went was 7 pt dogs, Teams that are +250(roughly 7 point dogs) win 28.57%. My guess is you'd be looking at about 8%. I wouldn't consider that "quite often"

I couldn't find any figures to show what % chance to win a 23 point dog would have to win. The lowest it went was 7 pt dogs, Teams that are +250(roughly 7 point dogs) win 28.57%. My guess is you'd be looking at about 8%. I wouldn't consider that "quite often"

Most of them aren't winnable when the underdog goes into the game with your attitude. Hell, why even go play the game if we over a 14 point underdog? Luckily, teams like App. State didn't believe that when they won at Michigan, or South Dakota when they won at Minnesota, etc...

• Upvote 2

Most of them aren't winnable when the underdog goes into the game with your attitude. Hell, why even go play the game if we over a 14 point underdog? Luckily, teams like App. State didn't believe that when they won at Michigan, or South Dakota when they won at Minnesota, etc...

Hey, just stating that the vast majority of the time a 23 pt underdog is not going to win. Would I have liked to see NT win. Hell yeah. Did I believe going into the game that we had a decent shot at it. Nope.

What has this team done in the last 6 seasons to show that we could go into Tulsa and knock them off. Haven't they pretty much kicked our teeth in the last several times we've played them?

so about 1 in 10 win when 20 pt dogs, i would consider that pretty considerable chance to win. i am going to stop this conversation and go run into a different wall.....

and UNTP1..........C'MON MAN that quote you posted is the same darn thing we have been saying..... he called out his QB and said his success was because of backups........ that is a coach covering his as..... and cracking under the pressure of trying to defend his decision instead of just saying it was the wrong decision........... i think the Nebraska coach apologized to husker nation for the poor showing in Wisconsin........ i would like to see MAC reach down and grab em and do the same thing......it was BAD coaching for an experienced HC

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

"Playing for the future" or getting the freshman some experience at the cost of being blown out again this year is a disservice to Lance and the rest of the seniors. I just get the feeling that if Chico is the head coach that Osborn starts that game.

No! It is an insult to "all" the players, the students and the alumni and all fans. Even more so to those who took the time to have the car seviced, made hotel reservations, got cash from the bank, bought tickets and took the time to travel to Tulsa all in the belief that we would try to win.

Actions speak louder than words.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hey, just stating that the vast majority of the time a 23 pt underdog is not going to win. Would I have liked to see NT win. Hell yeah. Did I believe going into the game that we had a decent shot at it. Nope.

What has this team done in the last 6 seasons to show that we could go into Tulsa and knock them off. Haven't they pretty much kicked our teeth in the last several times we've played them?

I like what you've been doing here. Well done sir.

We now need to hope we can get 5 conference wins. This should be our primary concern and not questioning our coaches' evaluations and decisions on game day. They are the professionals and they know what they are doing best. Our job right now is to fill up the stadium on Saturday. Will it happen? Unfortunately not, but I'm hoping 20k+ fans show up. If so and if we keep high attendance, I see ourselves with the potential of winning all 4 remaining home games and pray we can steal one road game and become bowl eligible.