The trip to Denton today

emmitt01

Went to Denton today to get another North Texas ez-up tent. I'm going with the three tent setup this season in honor of the new stadium. Walking across campus I was blown away by how it has evolved in just the ten years since I left. New buildings, new fountains, new signage...same ol' BEAUTIFUL coeds. It got me to thinking about the real impact the new stadium will have. Just imagine the number of people who will come back to campus for the first time in a long time just to see what all the fuss is about concerning the stadium. These people will walk across campus and realize just how much they have missed by staying away!!! Apogee is a draw that will affect and enhance EVERY facet of our fine university just because people will return.

The bookstore has a hell of a selection of cool clothing. There is a Nike tracksuit taht I am asking for for my birthday in October. It's only $140 ("only" being sarcasticly stated)

I went in an got my tent and a new shirt for my daughter...then about lost my mind!!! I saw some of the "non-traditional" students (read: hippies) allowing their dogs and naked bottomed baby to splash around in the fountains in front of the library. :growl: These are the types that we will never reach. These are the ones that caused my uncle to say we will "never see more than 4,000 people in that stadium at any point this season...because I am a member of the vocal minority" at North Texas. My uncle is a lifetime Dentonite and he (along with my grandfather) truly believe that North Texas is and will always be a commuter school for the artsy fartsy types. HERE IS THE SUPER DUPER AWESOME THING THOUGH...we don't need every student to give a rats ass about football! We just need 1/4 of the students to care. And I think we could easily do better than that. You think all 50,000 students as UT care about football? Nope. And they don't need to.

I went over to the stadium and talked to Matt Stitsinger. Let me say this for everyone to read and understand. ]THE 24 HOUR TAILGATE IS ON!!!! I was told, by two AD staff members now, that getting there at 6pm Friday is absolutely permissible. Soooooo....who's with me? Who's coming with me? (Cue Jerry Maguire clip) All I can say is, if you get there Friday night, the traffic patterns won't affect you at all. I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin. Besides, how ofent do we open a brand new stadium????

And can I say just one more time, this stadium is...hands down...on par with anything any mid major can show you unless they're using an NFL stadium to play their games.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

If I was you, Emmitt, I'd call up the department - Stitsinger specifically, if possible - and ask for a phone number (or protocol) to follow in case you show up Friday and are told otherwise.

It sounds absurd at this point, but I don't think it is out of the question that the police (or CSC?) don't get the message that it is allowed.

Edited by greenminer

If I was you, Emmitt, I'd call up the department - Stitsinger specifically, if possible - and ask for a phone number (or protocol) to follow in case you show up Friday and are told otherwise.

It sounds absurd at this point, but I don't think it is out of the question that the police (or CSC?) don't get the message that it is allowed.

I've amped out in the Fouts lot the Friday prior to the first game for five or so years now...but the new stadium may bring less understanding on the part of the CSC folks.

I was there today to do some measuring for Boomer. Officials are considering placing the cannon on either of the two grassy knolls behind the south endzone, but there are concerns that the steps may have been too narrow for the axles to pass through to access this space? They aren't with five inches to spare. I hope this is where it is decided to place it as it is a perfect location because it is elevated to the perfect height with lots of space to manuever around in and far enough back to allow for a great level of safety and clearance.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

I went over to the stadium and talked to Matt Stitsinger. Let me say this for everyone to read and understand. ]THE 24 HOUR TAILGATE IS ON!!!! I was told, by two AD staff members now, that getting there at 6pm Friday is absolutely permissible. Soooooo....who's with me? Who's coming with me? (Cue Jerry Maguire clip) All I can say is, if you get there Friday night, the traffic patterns won't affect you at all. I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin. Besides, how ofent do we open a brand new stadium????

And can I say just one more time, this stadium is...hands down...on par with anything any mid major can show you unless they're using an NFL stadium to play their games.

Count me in for tailgating to start on Friday night.

Count me in for tailgating to start on Friday night.

Be prepared to be joined. RV mentioned in podcast #2 that Friday night live at Clark Park will be moving to Friday night live at "The Hill" by the new stadium. It will feature a band from about 8-10:30pm and have the coach speak pep-rally style. Also, a new stadium ribbon-cutting ceremony will happen that night. Lots of Friday night stuff before the game will be going on.

• Upvote 1

]THE 24 HOUR TAILGATE IS ON!!!! I was told, by two AD staff members now, that getting there at 6pm Friday is absolutely permissible. Soooooo....who's with me? Who's coming with me? (Cue Jerry Maguire clip) All I can say is, if you get there Friday night, the traffic patterns won't affect you at all. I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin. Besides, how ofent do we open a brand new stadium????

See you there with the Generator. If I have the $$$, I may be buying a new one. We need to get with everyone and coordinate who brings what.