Lance Dunbar in the USA Today

Green59

"I look at it as him being competitive," Rainey said. "I don't get into that. If he feels like he's better than me, it's okay because that's how he's supposed to feel. It all goes back to one thing: numbers don't lie."

No Bobby, they sure don't!

2010:

Rush Attempts / Rush Yards / Yards/Carry / Rushing TD / Receptions / Rec. Yards / Yards/Catch / Rec. TD

Lance Dunbar:

274 / 1553 / 5.7 / 13 / 28 / 332 / 11.9 / 3

Bobby Rainey:

340 / 1649 / 4.9 / 15 / 29 / 230 / 7.9 / 0

Looks like Lance gets it done to the tune of almost 1 yard more per carry and, gulp, 4 more yards per catch!

Lance Dunbar for the Doak! Bobby Rainey for... uh... most touches!

• Upvote 1

Rainey has 6 more career caries than Lance. Rainey has 281 fewer yards and 10 fewer touchdowns. Lance is far and away the better receiver out of the backfield. Rainey has never busted off a run of 60 yards, heck he's only broken the 50 yard plateau once in his career on any play from scrimmage. The longest reception he's ever caught was 24 yards. Lance has at least 9 runs of 50 or more yards and I'm willing to bet many more(ESPN only shows your long for the game and once Lance starts busting them they come in bunches.) Lance has at least 3 receptions of 50 or more yards(again with ESPN only showing the long fore each game.)

Rainey is a workhorse who got fed the ball a ridiculous amount. Lance is a threat to score whenever he touches the ball from any spot on the football field. When you look at the careers of the two backs its impossible to consider Rainey the better.

• Upvote 4

Dodge and Canales both (especially Dodge) seemed to spread the ball around with their offenses. It'll be interesting to see what McCarney implements, if Thompson can 'keep the DB's honest', and if the offensive line can open up some holes for Dunbar and protect Derek enough to swing it out to Lance.

Let's get six- or more wins this season, anyway we can.

What would you say to an NFL scout about Rainey? What are his strengths? Areas he needs to develop?

How does his role as a RB differ from what Lance offers?

It sounds like Rainey is a workhorse.

To me Rainey is like Emmitt Smith & Lance is like LaDainian Tramayne Tomlinson.

Edited by AndersonUNT

Rainey has 6 more career caries than Lance. Rainey has 281 fewer yards and 10 fewer touchdowns. Lance is far and away the better receiver out of the backfield. Rainey has never busted off a run of 60 yards, heck he's only broken the 50 yard plateau once in his career on any play from scrimmage. The longest reception he's ever caught was 24 yards. Lance has at least 9 runs of 50 or more yards and I'm willing to bet many more(ESPN only shows your long for the game and once Lance starts busting them they come in bunches.) Lance has at least 3 receptions of 50 or more yards(again with ESPN only showing the long fore each game.)

Rainey is a workhorse who got fed the ball a ridiculous amount. Lance is a threat to score whenever he touches the ball from any spot on the football field. When you look at the careers of the two backs its impossible to consider Rainey the better.

Rainey = Boom Roasted!

• Upvote 1

To me Rainey is like Emmitt Smith & Lance is like LaDainian Tramayne Tomlinson.

Only instance I've ever seen anybody refer to LT with his middle name.

Side note: I was there when LT broke the NCAA record for yards in a game (400+). Maybe Lance will do the same before all is said and done :)

Only instance I've ever seen anybody refer to LT with his middle name.

Side note: I was there when LT broke the NCAA record for yards in a game (400+). Maybe Lance will do the same before all is said and done :)

LT almost ended up at UNT. TCU got in on them late in recruiting, IIRC, and got him. We recruited him out of Waco very hard. We had JaQuay Wilburn at the time, who was also very good. Imagine, though, what LT would have done in a Dickey-run offense. He might have run for 500 yards in a game here!!

I will say this, though, about LT. In the infamous "Throw the Ball" game at TCU, LT really didn't have that huge of a game against us. He may have broke 100 yards, but it wasn't by much if he did. It was the next week that he ran for over 400 yards against UTEP.