Tailgating/parking talk

kj86

I keep hearing of "dropping off" your stuff. Won't tailgating be just as it has always been...in the area behind your car? Seems like I also heard someone say that, if you get there 3 hours or so before gametime, there won't be parking nazis telling you which space to park in.

I noticed that one of the entrances to the parking lot is off North Texas Blvd., but I've also heard that the overpass will be closed to vehicles (foot traffic only). So do we have to go all the way down to Bonnie Brae and u-turn?

Anybody have any insight?

I see big problems with this "dropoff" plan. It takes 20-30 minutes to unload my vehicle. Are cars going to be stacked up waiting for people to unload their car? Not really looking forward to carrying all my stuff (generator, tent, TV, etc) back to my car.

And I guess my trailer hitch grill is now worthless. Speaking of grills, you used to keep your hot coals in the grill behind your car as they cooled off during the game. Will these now be left in the dry, wooded/grassy area of the greenspace?

The more I hear about the tailgate plans, the less I like it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The "dropping off" talk is because there is a wealth of green space over there where tailgating will be permitted, though it is not right by any parking spaces.

Not sure about the other stuff.

The primary reason setting up behind your cars will not be allowed is the White lot will not have festival parking until around 2 hours before kick-off.

game day is going to be a ***** no matter what...just get there early and enjoy...it will get smoother and better!

THIS...everyone has PLENTY of warning...let's have no whining come game day if you don't arrive early. You can do this. Stay calm and just come early. Even early there will probably be some confusion. Remember, this is the first game for the UNT Police, the Denton Police, the Parking folks, the UNT staffers AND the fans. So, everyone is in exactly the same boat. Do your part by staying calm, listening to instructions, arriving early, car pooling as much as possible, obeying all traffic regulations (yes, including the crazy stuff regarding the Denia neighborhood), and by keeping a smile on your face.

All here have waited for this day for a long time...let's enjoy it and not let anything take away from that enjoyment...especially not some issues with parking, tailgating, etc. We are probably in control of over 90% of how the day's experience turns out...for me...NOTHING is going to spoil that day!

GO MEAN GREEN...simply cannot wait!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

game day is going to be a clusterF no matter what...just get there early and enjoy...it will get smoother and better!

Can't say I disagree. But would it not be good customer service to post some information about parking and tailgating on the athletic website? Seems it would not take much to hit some of the highlights of what we can expect, along with the rules/requirements in each lot, and then post and e-mail. I am sure Harry would pin it if asked. Opening day of anything always has kinks, how about being proactive in lessening some of those.

NOTE TO ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT: IT IS CALLED C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-I-O-N

• Upvote 1

Can't say I disagree. But would it not be good customer service to post some information about parking and tailgating on the athletic website? Seems it would not take much to hit some of the highlights of what we can expect, along with the rules/requirements in each lot, and then post and e-mail. I am sure Harry would pin it if asked. Opening day of anything always has kinks, how about being proactive in lessening some of those.

NOTE TO ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT: IT IS CALLED C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-I-O-N

Nah, just show up and don't complain when it goes bad. I mean, after all... you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I was at the athletic center on Sunday the 7th. While I was there I ran into Eric Capper. I asked him if some instructions WITH ILLUSTRATIONS about tailgating would be provided to the faithful in the near future. He said there would be something sent out shortly after the middle of the month. I asked him specifically about RV's and he said that he thought that the designated area for them would be on circle drive....which wasn't finished at the time of my conversation with him.

After reviewing some of the (great) photos of the stadium, and it's surrounding area, the only circle drive that I could see was the one just over the hill from the Alumni pavilion. To me, that looks like the area where people would "drop off their stuff". The more I keep looking at those aerial photos, the more I keep thinking that the only way fans could tailgate without it becoming a HUGE MESS is to tailgate in that large parking lot that they are still finishing behind the dorms, AND use the old parking area of the old hotel. Actually the parking area of the old hotel would make for a fairly viable place for RV's.

Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting the official word, WITH ILLUSTRATIONS, from the athletic department on this.

Sorry KRAM1, but this is a situation where we need to hear from some retired Army Logistics officer, rather than Norman Vincent Peale.

• Upvote 2

Nah, just show up and don't complain when it goes bad. I mean, after all... you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I've been to a few opening days at brand new stadiums in my lifetime. In all cases there was plenty of prior notification on traffic routes and parking. Come day of the event.....Total ClusterF.

It's going to take an event or two for not only staff but fans to get used to the new setup.

Edited by Baby Arm!
  • Upvote 2

Sorry KRAM1, but this is a situation where we need to hear from some retired Army Logistics officer, rather than Norman Vincent Peale.

Silver...just had to give you a plus one for that one....ZING POW!!!!! Never been called "Norman Vincent Peale" before. I am sure some of the "youngsters" on here will have to google that just to see what you are talking about! HeHe. +1 for you sir! :goodjob::notfair:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Or, just show up and complain about it all long and loud and ruin the day for yourself and everyone around you! That would make a great impression on everyone I am sure....especially our guests from Houston.

While none of US can control the traffic and parking challenges that will most definitely happen on the 10th, we can most definitely control our own reactions and attitudes. Staying calm and doing the best one can will certainly make a challenging situation better.

Now, the athletic dept. and the campus police need to do their part as well, and get the info out to folks as soon as possible and in as many ways and as clearly as possible. Will everyone read the info and act accordingly...not on your life, so there will be challenges. Deal with them the best you can and ENJOY the day...you are making an impression on many other people as well.

DON'T BE THAT GUY!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Silver...just had to give you a plus one for that one....ZING POW!!!!! Never been called "Norman Vincent Peale" before. I am sure some of the "youngsters" on here will have to google that just to see what you are talking about! HeHe. +1 for you sir! :goodjob::notfair:

Hey -- I have an idea. Let's look up this mysterious Mr. Peale's thoughts on JFK and Catholicism. I bet talking about it on the non-UNT sports forum would end pretty well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hey -- I have an idea. Let's look up this mysterious Mr. Peale's thoughts on JFK and Catholicism. I bet talking about it on the non-UNT sports forum would end pretty well.

:goodjob:

I really don't think THAT would be a very good idea. The children might have to go to time out again. Why oh why do you insist on stiring the pot? Just can't handle peace and tranquility, can you?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm glad we're worried about major traffic congestion. The opposite would be horrible.

I don't think that's what we are worried about or what the thread is about. We are more concerned about what is going to happen on game day if the athletic department doesn't issue clear instructions on where and how parking, traffic, and tailgating will work. I'm worried about having to carry tailgate gear 200 to 300 yards uphill from the parking lot. I'm worried that these rules may kill the tailgating atmosphere we've worked hard to build at UNT.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that's what we are worried about or what the thread is about. We are more concerned about what is going to happen on game day if the athletic department doesn't issue clear instructions on where and how parking, traffic, and tailgating will work. I'm worried about having to carry tailgate gear 200 to 300 yards uphill from the parking lot. I'm worried that these rules may kill the tailgating atmosphere we've worked hard to build at UNT.

Excellent summary sir.

And I would add that not only would I like to see illustrations, I would like to see flow charts on the illustration.

• Downvote 1

Tailgating is really not that complicated, I don't think.

Go to the parking lot for which you have a parking pass. Park, then start tailgating.

From what I was told, you can choose your spot up to 90 minutes prior, after that festival parking. Just like at Fouts, you can't pop up your tent and block the row unless all of the spots have been filled up. If you want to tailgate on a green area or an end cap area, get there early and back up to one of those spots, or get there later carry your stuff from where you park to where you want to be.

As far as traffic, they are going to post online (maybe mail?) information on traffic patterns. Its stiil 25 days away, so I don't see any need to provide the information more than a few weeks in advance at the most. Otherwise everyone will lose it or forget it and the we will have a complaint post about how athletics didn't send out reminders on the traffic pattern.

• Upvote 3