Dear Glad To Be Green,

Thank you for the new stadium and genuine, authentic football staff. But, now let's move on to talk of the future.

With Texas and BYU getting their own television stations and conferences, we need to focus on expanding our fan footprint, carbon or otherwise.

My wife, as you know, is from Mexico and grew up in Mexico. She migrated legally to the United State, and we often, in moments alone, look at her green card.

Like many other Mexicans in America with green cards, she has taken a liking to fútbol americano. North Texas (or, UNT) plays the college version of it.

Although she, and many others in her situation, enjoy fútbol americano, they still hew towards the music of their roots and homeland - and other music with roots and homelands further south in the Central and South Americas and the Carribean. We're talking here about Mana, Shakira, Pitbull, Enrique Iglesias, Vicente Fernandez, Thalia, Juanes, Los Claxons, Estopa, Kany García, Camila, Paulina Rubio, Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, Chetes, Andrés Calamaro, Ely Guerra, El Cuarteto de Nos, Diomedes Díaz, Jorge Oñate, Lucrecia, Tito El Bambino, K-Paz de la Sierra, El Chapo de Sinaloa, Los Tigres del Norte, Intocable, Van Halen, Pepe Aguilar, Aida Cuevas, Tomatito, Chucho Valdés, Andrés Cepeda, Calle 13, Natalia Lafourcade, Jaguares, and Hello Seahorse! just to name a few.

So, my question is, are there plans yet to have UNT (or, North Texas) football games broadcast in Spanish - or, to televise them on any of the local Spanish stations? I know from going to cook outs with my wife's family and friends that Mexicans are no different than White people. We all like to drink beer, eat grilled flank steak, karaoke, have sex with our wives, brutalize piñatas shaped like Chivas de Guadalajara's mascot, and watch sports.

My thinking is that because fútbol americano is a sport, and there are lots of Mexicans like my wife who are watching Spanish TV stations and listening to Spanish radio stations, wouldn't it be smart to look into jumping ahead of everyone else in America and get The University of North Texas football games broadcast in Spanish?

Imagine the call: "¡Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool de campo! ¡Zack Olennnnnnnnnnnnnn! de los Aguilas de Norte Tejas! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol!"

What say you? I'd hate to think we were just going to surrender the Hispanic fútbol americano market to UTEP, UTSA, and Rice. If George Washington hadn't boomed the bold battle cry, Remember the Alamo!, we'd have never wrested control of the Solomon Islands from the Japanese.

It's only 21st Century American to have our fútbol americano games broadcast on Spanish radio and television stations in the Metroplex and throughout the United States. Let's jump ahead of the curve on this one before UT starts charging us $24.95 a week to watch our games on their station and BYU sends its redshirt sophomores on their bicycles to try to convert us.

¡Viva Los Verde Malo!

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 7

May I also point out that the real Mexican Independence Day is September 16th, which is generally during football season.

Cinco de Mayo is a holiday American Hispanics who know nothing of their history think is their Independence Day.

So, think about it - we could have a Mexican Independence Day Game at the stadium, replete with piñatas shaped like Chivas de Guadalajara's mascot to bash.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'll have what TFLF is drinking, and I believe BOTH the broadcasting of games in Spanish and selling Mean Green Vuvuzelas would be a wise investment.

You gotta think on the marketing end of this thing. Now that we're with Nike, they could string together a jersey with "VERDE MALO" on the front for the Mexican Independence Day Weekend Game.

Hell, it couldn't be any worse than the uniforms they're already creating to pollute the college football world:

Por ejemplo, LSU

091123073025LSU_Pro_Combat_UNIFORM_hiRes.jpg

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You gotta think on the marketing end of this thing. Now that we're with Nike, they could string together a jersey with "VERDE MALO" on the front for the Mexican Independence Day Weekend Game.

Hell, I couldn't be any worse than the uniforms they're already creating to pollute the college football world:

Por ejemplo, LSU

091123073025LSU_Pro_Combat_UNIFORM_hiRes.jpg

Include this with Mexia Weekend and you double your bang for the buck. This is marketing genius.

• Upvote 1

I like it. The only risk I see is alienating current fans in Euless. Still, I think it's worth the risk.

Okay, how about we throw in a pre-game Haka for the Euless contingent.

Now...what to do for the Korean, Vietnamese, Loatian, and Thai UNT/North Texas fans from Garland and Richardson....

The advantage of living in such a culturally diverse Metroplex is that it gives us a wide array of marketing choices - should we open up our eyes and ears to the equal opportunity they provide.

It's like one of my friends was told by his dad years ago when they were about to put in a new tile floor for a gay couple:

FRIEND: "But, dad, those guys are gay."

FRIEND'S DAD: "Yes, son, but their money's green the same as yours."

That's America in the 21st Century. People are going to seek affordable entertained on the weekends. Why surrender them to Don Cheto, Sabado Gigante, and the FMF? Let the Mean Green marketing machine get out and chase down Mean Green that The O'Jays once sang about:

Oregon whores itself with Nike. UT and BYU and Notre Dame whore themselves for TV money. Are we to sit here chaste while a high profile, easily targetable, and rapidly expanding group sits in our very city, county, region, and state waiting to be loved and entertained?

Think about it - all Oregon, Utah, and Indiana have are mainly White people. UT...still mainly White people...a more uppity version of White people, but White nonetheless.

We've got a huge target market here with cash to spend and families to bring along! Huge! ¡Gigante!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let me make one final statement about this and other marketing ideas...

A salesman sells things. It doesn't matter what it is, he sells it.

Remember Slap Chop? Sham Wow? I doubt Vince from Sham Wow ever owned a Sham Wow or a Slap Chop - but he sold millions for those companies.

A group of sales people is called a marketing department. A marketing department markets to the public the things its organization has to offer. We've got a lot to offer these days in the way of UNT/North Texas football and all that entails.

The UNT/North Texas athletic department has a marketing department filled with sales people. They are doing a hell of a job this year with billboard, radio ads...even in the weekly Frisco newsrag we get at our house there was an advertisement for last weekend's Kickoff Cookout.

This is for the future - we have a built in base here. Why not UNT football on Univision, Galavision, or Telemundo? Why not UNT football on KESS/La Kalle 107.9 FM?

Can't get a major national TV deal like UT, BYU, or Notre Dame. Screw it. Go regional and get what you can get. If I've got something, that's more than having nothing. An apple tree begins as a small seed, kids. It grows into a tree one day and provides delicious, healthy snack food for all!

Doesn't UNT have a Business College? Does it not have a highly respected Journalism/Mass Comm Department (or, whatever the hell they call it these days)? Is it not true that UNT graduates more Hispanics than any other college in America? (Can't remember where I read that, but I think it's still true.)

Let's put one and one together on this thing and get two someday in the future. We can be the delicious, healthy snack food of the regional football future...which can someday give us the ammunition (cash dollars, baby!) to take down the rest of the college football world!

KA-POW! I'm about to spontaneously human combust!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Okay, how about we throw in a pre-game Haka for the Euless contingent.

Now...what to do for the Korean, Vietnamese, Loatian, and Thai UNT/North Texas fans from Garland and Richardson....

The advantage of living in such a culturally diverse Metroplex is that it gives us a wide array of marketing choices - should we open up our eyes and ears to the equal opportunity they provide.

It's like one of my friends was told by his dad years ago when they were about to put in a new tile floor for a gay couple:

FRIEND: "But, dad, those guys are gay."

FRIEND'S DAD: "Yes, son, but their money's green the same as yours."

That's America in the 21st Century. People are going to seek affordable entertained on the weekends. Why surrender them to Don Cheto, Sabado Gigante, and the FMF?

Wait. Tasty, you said... nevermind.

This thread is still eerily familiar though.

Despite the risk of going against popular opionion I give you this argument:

I think the broadcasting of the game in spanish is a good idea. I do think there is a very real risk though of alienating a large part of the fanbase if it goes any farther than that with things like spanish jerseys. I think, at least from a marketing perspective, it is important to realize that something like that could upset people, especially with a sport like American football, and at the college level.

As I said, I think I am going against popular opinion here, but it just seems like something to be very careful with...Except for the Spanish language TV, which is a great idea.

Most of this debate always seems to go back to a much larger social and political issue, but I'm trying to avoid that and just stick to marketing.

By the way, Why the dislike for Chivas??? You must be a Club America fan?....I've been a Tigres UANL fan since I got to meet the team (by chance) at the Boston Airport.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1