Brother helped lure Boone Feldt to UNT

Brett Vito

And Cam says that Boone is a better athlete, so screw rivals. I give Boone a 5 and Cam a 4!

I definitely agreed with you on this. You know there's something wrong when the 11th ranked center in the entire country only gets a 5.5. The highest ranking given was 5.8. I think that center is (next to the quarterback) the most important player on offense. They're all important but the center has to make blind snaps almost perfectly every time and is at the closest point of attack to the quarterback and has to react quickly to keep him protected. The 11th best player at other positions are probably 5.8 or 5.7. I consider them both four stars; screw what Rivals says.

I definitely agreed with you on this. You know there's something wrong when the 11th ranked center in the entire country only gets a 5.5. The highest ranking given was 5.8. I think that center is (next to the quarterback) the most important player on offense. They're all important but the center has to make blind snaps almost perfectly every time and is at the closest point of attack to the quarterback and has to react quickly to keep him protected. The 11th best player at other positions are probably 5.8 or 5.7. I consider them both four stars; screw what Rivals says.

Which leads to the next logical question. Has Boone Feldt ever actually played Center? The video shows him at left tackle (which I personally think is the most important line position) and I just wonder if he is going to have to spend some time learning how to snap in the spread formation.

Someone mentioned a while ago that 3-stars are being handed out much more liberally than previously.

I wonder if that overload is being compensated on the number of 4 and 5s handed out.

Which leads to the next logical question. Has Boone Feldt ever actually played Center? The video shows him at left tackle (which I personally think is the most important line position) and I just wonder if he is going to have to spend some time learning how to snap in the spread formation.

I don't know for sure but this is what his dad/coach had to say about it...

“Boone has really good feet and runs well,” Blake Feldt said. “He’s a good athlete. He’s not as tall as Cam, but moves well in space and has good hands. He is tailor-made to play center.”

That quote is from Vito's article in the Denton Record-Chronicle.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the importance of the center but just let the center make a few bad snaps in a game and you'll be calling for his head. Or fail to pick up a blitzing linebacker or safety. I realize that the left tackle is protecting the quarterback's blind side (if he's right-handed) but he can miss a few blocks and it's not necessarily a disaster.

I would imagine his dad will have him playing center this season at Hays.

I don't know for sure but this is what his dad/coach had to say about it...

"Boone has really good feet and runs well," Blake Feldt said. "He's a good athlete. He's not as tall as Cam, but moves well in space and has good hands. He is tailor-made to play center."

That quote is from Vito's article in the Denton Record-Chronicle.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the importance of the center but just let the center make a few bad snaps in a game and you'll be calling for his head. Or fail to pick up a blitzing linebacker or safety. I realize that the left tackle is protecting the quarterback's blind side (if he's right-handed) but he can miss a few blocks and it's not necessarily a disaster.

A good LT can make up for a bad center. A good center can't make up for a bad LT.

You can win all the mind games and make all the right calls on the line, but if your LT can't block worth a damn then your QB's blindside is a sitting duck.

FWIW

Someone mentioned a while ago that 3-stars are being handed out much more liberally than previously.

I wonder if that overload is being compensated on the number of 4 and 5s handed out.

I don't know; I haven't been counting the 4 and 5 stars handed out previously but I did count the offensive players this year. Here are those results:

QB - 0 5-star; 16 - 4-star

RB - 1 5-star; 21 - 4-star

WR - 2 5-star; 58 - 4-star

OL - 3 5-star; 34 - 4-star

It seems that there may be fewer 5-star rankings awarded but that seems like plenty of 4-stars to me. It does seem to me that there may be more 5.5s and fewer 5.4s. That's purely from memory which may be fading fast.