2011 Gmg Bowl: One Of The Funnest Days Ever!

gmgbowl20111_500x375.jpg

For those who were there saw first hand the Hall to Quinn connection at Fouts for the very last time. I knew it wasn't going to be fair, but damn it was fun to see those guys go at it one more time.

Thank you to Kram1 and his bride for putting on a first class event. I hope we raised the bar this year in fund raising, and from the crowd that showed, we may have done just that.

Thank you to the Hiatt's for cooking some great barbecue.

Thank you to the refs, Texas Stranger and UNTFlyer, for giving up one of their days to help keep us all in line.

Thank you to the GMG.com board players for having the nerve to get out there in the heat and mix it up with ex college and pro's on the same field. We have some great athletes on this board for sure.

Thank you to RV for the stadium tour afterwards. Hearing our voices bounce off the student section from our seats on the home side just blew me away? This is going to be one of the best places in the state of Texas to watch a football game.

And thank you to all the great players who participated and gave us one more memory to take away for a lifetime today. We owe you guys for the great times, the great memories, and mostly, for the beautiful new stadium across the road. If it were not for you, Andy Blount, Weston Thaggard, Scott Hall, Johnny "The Mighty" Quinn, Montey Stevenson, Luke Condor, Cody Spencer and of course Andrew Smith and all the rest, if it were not for you we wouldn't have it in the first place. Im certain of that.

Thank you so much again to everyone involved. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.

It's All Green and All Good!

Rick

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Great game and lots of fun. Thanks a lot to Mark for all the work he puts into this.

I vote we play this game at the Kibbie Dome next year.

Next year Johnny's TDs are worth 3 points and he has to wear a weight vest, that guy is a bullet.

Edited by mdh0192
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

While I wasn't able to play I was able to swing by and catch some of it with my son (he was the kid running around wearing a MG #7 jersey). It looked like it was a blast (and a blast furnace) for you guys. I enjoyed meeting and talking to our current MG QB Derek Thompson. Seems like a really great guy and represenative for UNT Athletics. I generally have baseball games to coach or NASA training going on whenever the Big Game gets scheduled, but maybe my brother and I can play next year. Good job guys for a Great Cause.

Thank guys, that was a fun game! It was great to catch one of Scott Hall's passes and to play alongside Johnny Quinn.

By the way, we planned that last play of the first half. When we lined up at the 10 with only time for one more play, I said to Johnny, "We're going to have to run one of those Boise State hook and laterals to do this." He told me to stay close.

Problem: after he caught the ball he cut all the way to the other side of the field...and I'm too damn old and slow to keep up with him! So, he had to throw the ball all the way across the field to me.

After running a few yards and pitching back to Scott Hall, I got tangled up with some green teamers and bit the dust. It was a nice play...and almost worked!

It was a lot of fun. My wife and kids had fun as well. Thanks for making us feel welcome. This is something we'll plan to do for as long as we keep doing it. The cause is right and it's a good time. Thanks again.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks to everyone for the kind words...it was, indeed a blast. best ever GoMeanGreen.Com Bowl. Watch out next year...how do we top this one?

Final score was 25-13 for the White team, but, in reality it was a pretty darn close match-up for the vast majority of the game. Yes, it was warm, but there were plenty of players so everyone had a chance to come in and out as they needed/wanted. Great to see all the GMG.Com'ers and the ex-players mixing it up. If you couldn't have some great Mean green fun at this event, then you just can't have fun. I had an absolute GREAT time. So very many people to thank. I'll start a thread when i have a bit more time with thanks and fund-raising totals...have to collect from the auction, but will add those totals in...I am all but certain that we surpassed our goal of a net of $1500.00.

Thanks to everyone...photos here look great!

Man, good times...good times...godd food and beer as well.

Thanks to RV for making it out and setting up the stadium tour.

GO MEAN GREEN...thanks to Kevin Kokjohn and Rhey Nolan for coming out to watch and bid as well. Lots of folks out to watch in the heat, so the bit of breeze was really nice...I hope you got to see the mini helmet that Jason Hiatt had signed by all the players present yesterday...way cool.

I simply cannot thank everyone enough...see you next year for GMG.Com Bowl 9!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

I just now realized that you had "Gringo" put on your shirt. Im sorry I never got to put a face to your posting name?

Rick

My wife's family is Mexican, so I wanted a t-shirt to wear to their cook outs and stuff since they call me the Gringo. Next year, and every year after, I'll do FAKE LONNIE on the back. We had a great time, and the t-shirt design is awesome!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Thanks Rick for pointing out that Gringo was The Fake.

Gringo, I had no idea but enjoyed meeting you and talking to you.

This was one fun game...I am very grateful to the pros that came out this year. At 50, I am less sore this year than last...my boss will appreciate that. I learned you don't get sore if you don't play!

Mark, your efforts have taken this game to new levels...from game quality to facilities to auction to fundraising, I am so appreciative of your passion, your positivity and your energy. And thanks to KRAM 2 also.

Very nice to see RV come over and invite all the participants to tour the stadium.

And to Smitty, thanks for capturing the lovely Jasmine in the photos.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

My wife's family is Mexican, so I wanted a t-shirt to wear to their cook outs and stuff since they call me the Gringo. Next year, and every year after, I'll do FAKE LONNIE on the back. We had a great time, and the t-shirt design is awesome!

You could combine the two and be Gringo Finch.

Thanks Rick for pointing out that Gringo was The Fake.

Gringo, I had no idea but enjoyed meeting you and talking to you.

This was one fun game...I am very grateful to the pros that came out this year. At 50, I am less sore this year than last...my boss will appreciate that. I learned you don't get sore if you don't play!

Mark, your efforts have taken this game to new levels...from game quality to facilities to auction to fundraising, I am so appreciative of your passion, your positivity and your energy. And thanks to KRAM 2 also.

Very nice to see RV come over and invite all the participants to tour the stadium.

And to Smitty, thanks for capturing the lovely Jasmine in the photos.

GMG

By the way, the game winning TD was really scored by your son. He's a slick runner in traffic for a 15-year old kid. Send tape of him over to McCarney now before he starts to look at other options.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm late to the party! I had a great time and big thanks to everyone who came out! Mark, you do an awesome job of organizing this event and as always I'm already anticipating next year's game. I want revenge! LOL

Mark, let us know how much we raised in total if you can. I would love to know. Hopefully we can beat it next year. :)

• Upvote 1

I posted the total in a different thread, but it looks like now we will raise a bit more than i posted...I would think that we are now up to $2400.00.

Thanks to all who participated...you are the ones who make this happen.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1