Difficult Decision

Stephens finished with a 25-67 record with the Mean Green, which lost the last 11 games of her tenure.

The former Oklahoma State guard had two years left on her original five-year contract that includes a provision that will allow UNT to buy out the remainder of her deal for $206,250.

UNT will begin a search for a new coach immediately.

"This has been a difficult decision, but unfortunately the program has not shown the progress we expected at this point in the process," UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said

a 25-67 reccord and this is a "difficult decision"....really...and now we buy her out for $206,250....how stupid is it we get in contracts with loosers and then pay them to go away....we must have more money than I realize...sometimes i think RV is an idiot....this is T dodge all over again.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

A loser is a person who who can't spell and post on the internet "loose lose". A winner is a person who gets a brand new softball facility built, locker rooms remodeled in the pit, dedicated court for volleyball, academic center for athletes, oh wait, A BRAND SPANKING NEW FOOTBALL STADIUM. I have never thought that R.V was an "idiot". If you think that Dr. B. did not have her hands on this sweet deal that Shanice got, you are crazy.

HOF?

P.S. You forgot a very nice field for women's soccer and upgrades to make Fouts at least bearable.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Come on...this was a press release!!! Any coach could have 0-100 with any school and when they're being shown the door the PR would have said some thing to effect "hard decision" to make. RV made this decision long ago and it's not hard SS got the "if you don't win" X number of games our out of hear long ago!! Funniest marketing campaign I ever heard of was "94 feet of heat"!!!

• Upvote 1

houston, have you ever had to look someone in the eye tell them they are fired? Sure, she will still get some $$ out of UNT, but her family will be uprooted. She gave ample evidence that she needed to be fired, but I would like to think the RV took his time and carefully made the decision before delivering the news. What should RV have said, 'this is the easiest decision I've ever made, and I told her not to let the door hit her on the way out'? I have taken my share of pot shots at Stephens and even I wouldn't have said anything remarkably different to the public if it were my job to hold the presser. I hoped she would work out and follow the Johns fine examples. Instead she became a running joke that needed to go. That doesn’t mean RV shouldn’t be respectful about the decision in public.

• Upvote 4

Is it out of the question that a first time head coach be offered less than a 5 year contract ? Unless she's making that much as an assistant, a $110,000 per year deal sounds great to me. And everybody wants the same thing. For NT to win. The Coach wants to win, the AD wants to win, the fans want to win, and the players want to win. So, if everybody wants the same thing, why wouldn't a 2 year contract with a 2 year renewable option be acceptable to everybody ? When acceptable progress is shown, we want to reward that coach with another 2 years. And again, this is more money that she's making as an assistant.

There's no other industry that would enter into such a deal. And the contract is ony binding on one side-the University's. If the coach gets a call from Old Dominion or Baylor, she's gone. So what does the contract really do. Except keep a bad coach in a good job. With good money.

• Upvote 1

Pelphrey originally signed a four-year contract with Arkansas. He was willing to leave a pretty good situation at South Alabama for one that, while obviously a major step up, he knew would present some unique difficulties. If we are looking to hire someone on his or her way up, I think we could certainly find takers for a four-year contract, and maybe even three. A two-year contract would be a pretty loud statement out front saying, "We don't have any confidence in this coach we just hired." An established coach would be more likely to demand a five-year contract; but then again, there is not nearly the same risk involved in the hire.

There's no other industry that would enter into such a deal. And the contract is ony binding on one side-the University's. If the coach gets a call from Old Dominion or Baylor, she's gone. So what does the contract really do. Except keep a bad coach in a good job. With good money.

That isn't entirely accurate. If someone swoops in and loads JJ into a wheelbarrow full of money JJ has to leave some of that money here. That is his part of the contract, he has a buyout too and the University gets money when the coach leaves.

• Upvote 1

Pelphrey originally signed a four-year contract with Arkansas. He was willing to leave a pretty good situation at South Alabama for one that, while obviously a major step up, he knew would present some unique difficulties.

I know you're just using Pelphrey as an example...but I do want to point out that if you look at the way he "built" South Alabama he was fishing for any offer and once an SEC school popped up he probably would've taken a year-to-year deal. Pelphry brought in about 9 division 1 transfers to get USA relevant quickly in hopes of getting recognized just as fast.

I know you're just using Pelphrey as an example...but I do want to point out that if you look at the way he "built" South Alabama he was fishing for any offer and once an SEC school popped up he probably would've taken a year-to-year deal. Pelphry brought in about 9 division 1 transfers to get USA relevant quickly in hopes of getting recognized just as fast.

Right, I was using him as an example of a hire that didn't require a five-year contract.

I like to think of your avatar as an arthouse/possibly Euro version of NASCAR's Tony "Smoke" Stewart.

You're welcome.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen