Unt Switching To Nike & Schedule Rumor

MeanGreen61

Let's just hope we wind up in something original, and not UF or Iowa St. knockoffs.

Coaches don't make the best uniform designers (see: TT Clemson copycat road uniforms, or our old SLC copycats)

Note to DMac: Let your wife do the uniform design. She no doubt has more original ideas than an old football coach (at least I hope, for multiple reasons).

I like the fact that we open with FIU. We will know pretty quick what chance we have at the conference title right off the bat.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is great news. No more mickey mouse unis and we get a tune-up game for UH. Win-win.

Tune-up for the Houston game? FIU is the preaseson favorite to win the Sun Belt. The FIU game will give us a better picture of what to expect out of the team next year and in all honesty its more important for us to beat FIU than Houston.

• Upvote 5

Tune-up for the Houston game? FIU is the preaseson favorite to win the Sun Belt. The FIU game will give us a better picture of what to expect out of the team next year and in all honesty its more important for us to beat FIU than Houston.

The games are of equal importance. UH and UNT are (alleged) peer institutions that go for the same recruits. A win over UH is far more significant in the court of public opinion than FIU.

Tune-up wasn't the best choice of words. Insert "opportunity to kick off the rust"... whatever you want to call it, I think it's better to work out timing issues and get some real hits on guys than going in cold. Especially for the opening of a stadium against what on paper is a better opponent.

As a football fan, the UH game means more to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The switch to Nike will be great. They will take care of the athletic department as well as the fans, and our green will be consistent.

Is anyone else (objectively speaking) a little nervous about this nonconference schedule? If you take a look at it, I am not so sure it's not the toughest one we've had in a while:

Week 1 @ Florida International- the hottest program in the Sun Belt right now, experience returning, coming off a bowl victory, dominated us in Denton last year

Week 2 Houston- a much improved program begninning to garner regional attention and some national attention, have their QB returning for his 10th year of eligibility; and clearly when he went down last year it cost that team tremendously, this game will test Bowen and McCarney to their wits end on defense

Week 3 @ Alabama- preseason #1 or #2 on everyone's lists, 102,000 in Bryant Denny Stadium (though I look forward to seeing how Mac approaches this game and these type of games going forward versus this previous regime), Saban, enough said

Week 4 Indiana- a Big 10 opponent, new coach and staff who's very hungry, and made that clear, I like this game after a week against the Sun Belt, but not after playing Rammer Jammer

Week 5 @ Tulsa- the best offense in the country the last 4-5 years, constantly wining 8-10 ballgames recently

Edited by UNT Mean Green

The games are of equal importance. UH and UNT are (alleged) peer institutions that go for the same recruits. A win over UH is far more significant in the court of public opinion than FIU.

Tune-up wasn't the best choice of words. Insert "opportunity to kick off the rust"... whatever you want to call it, I think it's better to work out timing issues and get some real hits on guys than going in cold. Especially for the opening of a stadium against what on paper is a better opponent.

As a football fan, the UH game means more to me.

Depends on which is more important, "perception" or the chance at a bowl game as conference champions.

Depends on which is more important, "perception" or the chance at a bowl game as conference champions.

I figure if we beat UH, the odds of us winning the conference is pretty good, regardless of what happens against FIU. Of course I'd like to win the conference and go to a bowl game- but we've done all that and it hasn't meant much. We need to beat regional rivals. We need to get buzz about our program in this state. I couldn't even tell you what happened with Sun Belt teams in the bowl games this year, who they played or who won. i know they were 2-1 because I read this board.

• Upvote 1

I figure if we beat UH, the odds of us winning the conference is pretty good, regardless of what happens against FIU. Of course I'd like to win the conference and go to a bowl game- but we've done all that and it hasn't meant much. We need to beat regional rivals. We need to get buzz about our program in this state. I couldn't even tell you what happened with Sun Belt teams in the bowl games this year, who they played or who won. i know they were 2-1 because I read this board.

Exactly.png

• Upvote 1

Excellent news. Odds are Nike uses a different textile supplier than UA, therefore I expect and hope that changing from UA to Nike will change our shade of green to what it should be, the correct Emerald/Kelly Green, which is the jersey, helmet and T shirt on the LEFT in this photo, not the puke, sea foam green and whatever else you call the t shirts on the right that were handed out for free or sold by our university for several years in the past.

greenshirtcomparison_500x279.jpg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Excellent news. Odds are Nike uses a different textile supplier than UA, therefore I expect and hope that changing from UA to Nike will change our shade of green to what it should be, the correct Emerald/Kelly Green, which is the jersey, helmet and T shirt on the LEFT in this photo, not the puke, sea foam green and whatever else you call the t shirts on the right that were handed out for free or sold by our university for several years in the past.

Rick

I personally am opposed to "sea foam green" but I am all in favor for "pond scum green"...everyone knows it is the "new hotness"

algae-pond-scum.jpg

Rick

I don't mind the color at all of what we had the last few years.

• Upvote 6

I assume I am in the minority here but I say let the Nike design team that handles Oregon and TCU have complete creative control of the uniform design. I am such a fan of almost 100% of what Oregon and TCU put on the field.

I am ready for the -1 votes!

I'll spare you the -1, but I absolutely loathe Oregon's uniforms. Some of TCU's recent uniforms have been head-scratchers as well--like why do you design a uniform for a team whose primary color is purple, and leave purple out of the color scheme? Do we want someone designing uniforms for us and leaving green out altogether? How about throwing some gay feathers on the sleeves to complete the transformation? I, sir, would rather be disemboweled with a rusty spoon than watch my team play in something like that.

On the other hand, if we could have a year like Oregon or TCU had last year, I wouldn't care one bit what they were wearing.