Unt Switching To Nike & Schedule Rumor

MeanGreen61

Rick really needs to travel back in time to a place where he can be happy. So tired of reading complaints about this and that and how much better things used to be.

By the way, the kelly green looks so much better than the forest green. We looked great on tv last year.

So you can complain about the Forest Green, but I can't complain about the Puke Sea Foam green, but then agree that the Kelly, which derrives from the past, is the way to go?

By the way, I love the helmet of the 80's, which is why I have one in my collection. We had some good wins, beating Texas Tech, TCU, Rice and as far as I'm concerned, Texas in that helmet.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

as far as new emblems? RV told me he has no idea what it could be. he told me that "that's a McCarney issue." apparently he, and his wife, are single handly thinking up a new emblem possibility.

Back in 1979 when Hayden Fry arrived at Iowa he made a number of changes including the helmet decal....31 years later that same Tiger Hawk decal is still on the Hawkeye helmets. I hope McCarney has similar success with the team and the decal.

• Upvote 3

So whose unis did underarmor copy? Are we so under the radar that underarmor used a Texas high school uniform (SLC) as it's base design for UNT?

I would think that Nike won't pay someone to create a design specifically for UNT, but will make whatever design UNT wants.

Look, with VERY rare exceptions, uniform companies like UA and Nike have base uniform packages that they can tweak to the customer's liking. Pretty much the only exception to this rule is Nike's elite programs that get custom uni's that they break out for specific games. Really not much different than a throwback uni worn once a season or a pink uni worn to support breast cancer, etc.

UA didn't custom design SLC or UNT's uni's from scratch, and Nike won't for us either. They were both chosen out of a catalog of base possibilities, and the school could chose what colors went where. That's it.

I have neither the time nor interest level to dig up pictures of all the schools UA dressed last year, but I bet the seams, trim lines, etc. were all in the same place, or all fell in to a very small number of similar groups. Neither the manufacturer nor the school want to pay for truly unique designs unless (like Nike does) it's special enough to either increase sales or create free publicity. We would do neither. Not being negative, just realistic.

Back in 1979 when Hayden Fry arrived at Iowa he made a number of changes including the helmet decal....31 years later that same Tiger Hawk decal is still on the Hawkeye helmets. I hope McCarney has similar success with the team and the decal.

I Agree 100%. However, once the success is realized I hope we then take it a step further and finally break from a tradition I wouldnt mind seeing us drop, that of changing the logos that become known for success, and actually see us stick with it for a generation or twenty?

Oops, there I go bringing up a negative needing corrected again? Damn me!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

SPOILER ALERT. and he told me to look for some "old school" elements about our uniform. I don't know what they means or what that could look, because I've only been at UNT for 2 years. but for the old alumni, maybe you could help a youngster out.

leather helmets

• Upvote 1

So you can complain about the Forest Green, but I can't complain about the Puke Sea Foam green, but then agree that the Kelly, which derrives from the past, is the way to go?

By the way, I love the helmet of the 80's, which is why I have one in my collection. We had some good wins, beating Texas Tech, TCU, Rice and as far as I'm concerned, Texas in that helmet.

Rick

Never complained about the forest green while we were in them. In fact, have yet to complain about them. Simply said I thought Kelly was a better look.

I have neither the time nor interest level to dig up pictures of all the schools UA dressed last year, but I bet the seams, trim lines, etc. were all in the same place, or all fell in to a very small number of similar groups. Neither the manufacturer nor the school want to pay for truly unique designs unless (like Nike does) it's special enough to either increase sales or create free publicity. We would do neither. Not being negative, just realistic.

I think South Carolina, Maryland, and NT essentially wear (wore) the same uniforms with different colors. White helmets, too.

I think South Carolina, Maryland, and NT essentially wear (wore) the same uniforms with different colors. White helmets, too.

Yes, we didn't have the SLC template, we had the South Carolina template with the shoulder stripes removed. Just because both were kelly green with piping doesn't make them the same design, or make our uniforms "high school." A majority of the uniforms in the FBS have stripes, piping, trim, etc.

• Upvote 2