Expanded Sunbelt And New Bowl Game In Sa

With all due respect, what makes UTSA so attractive? Never played a down of NCAA football, middle of the pack Southland Conference basketball program, a town that is Cowboy's crazy and didn't support USFL football, etc...

Thank you! At least someone else besides me "gets it".

Was justed informed about the possibility of a 14 team Sunbelt being discussed with a new bowl game in San Antonio against a CUSA or MWC team, in addition to a new bowl game in Atlanta most likely against a CUSA team.

Sunbelt FB would be as follows:

West Division

UTSA

UNT

Tx St

LaTech

ULaLa

ULM

Ark St

East Division

Troy

MTSU

So Ala

FIU

FAU

Ga State

WKU

Looks more and more as if the WAC is dead, esp if USU and SJSU depart for the MWC. Pending a CUSA or MWC invite, this would appear to be the better choice over what ever WAC Benson manages to salvage.

Travel costs would be less than the new WAC and attendance should be stronger with local teams. Plus the Sunbelt will be in the major TV markets of DFW, SA and So Texas, Atlanta and Miami/Fort La. which equates to stronger revenue.

Your big mistake was listing your school utsa at the top over UNT and then listing your twin tssm third over schools that have paid their dues for years. Dude, you're a fraud!

NO 1AA schools to the Sun Belt! Take LATech and NMST and slam the door shut!

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 3

With all due respect, what makes UTSA so attractive? Never played a down of NCAA football, middle of the pack Southland Conference basketball program, a town that is Cowboy's crazy and didn't support USFL football, etc...

I think that UTSA is like a good cross dresser. From a distance, they look ok and have some potential. However, once you get close, you realize that things aren't as great as they seem and there are parts that are concerning and you come to the conclusion that you don't really want to play with them.

Of course, then you have those that decide that they are going to go for it, consequences and warning from friends be damned. Let's hope that the MWC does not take this approach.

• Upvote 2

Was justed informed about the possibility of a 14 team Sunbelt being discussed with a new bowl game in San Antonio against a CUSA or MWC team, in addition to a new bowl game in Atlanta most likely against a CUSA team.

West Division

UTSA

UNT

Tx St

LaTech

ULaLa

ULM

Ark St

East Division

Troy

MTSU

So Ala

FIU

FAU

Ga State

WKU

Looks more and more as if the WAC is dead, esp if USU and SJSU depart for the MWC. Pending a CUSA or MWC invite, this would appear to be the better choice over what ever WAC Benson manages to salvage.

Travel costs would be less than the new WAC and attendance should be stronger with local teams. Plus the Sunbelt will be in the major TV markets of DFW, SA and So Texas, Atlanta and Miami/Fort La. which equates to stronger revenue.

This excites me about as much as the day many of us heard we were going down to NCAA 1-AA classification since we joined most of the schools in the above listed proposal as it was. $80,000,000 stadium for this? Not an easy sell, folks.

Sh*t, somewhere along the way we truly made the conference and football gods mad at North Texas. :ph34r:

Why don't we just call it: And All The Rest...Conference? :thumbsd:

Dammit...

GMG!

PS: Why couldn't one of MWC Commish' Craig Thompson's favorite family members have been a North Texas Ex or some tie to UNT of which (amazingly with the way these things go) could have put us toward the top of the list?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Your big mistake was listing your school utsa at the top over UNT and then listing your twin tssm third over schools that have paid their dues for years. Dude, you're a fraud!

NO 1AA schools to the Sun Belt! Take LATech and NMST and slam the door shut!

Did not attend UTSA. The order listed was purely random. Somewhat childish of you to think the order listed was of some significance. Don't believe the information. That is your choice. Put what I am posting is accurate information.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Agreed. The Alamo Bowl is going to give up their traditional tie-in with the Big XII and Big Ten for Sun Belt vs. CUSA????? :lolu:

Some of you have srious issues with reading comprehension. I never stated this bowl would replace the Alamo Bowl. It will be a second bowl game before Christmas. This game has been in the works for a while.

• Upvote 2

I think that UTSA is like a good cross dresser. From a distance, they look ok and have some potential. However, once you get close, you realize that things aren't as great as they seem and there are parts that are concerning and you come to the conclusion that you don't really want to play with them.

Of course, then you have those that decide that they are going to go for it, consequences and warning from friends be damned. Let's hope that the MWC does not take this approach.

USTA brings a number of items to the table. San Antonio brings a major TV and recruiting market. Networks are very strong on UTSA. Coker's name brings cred. to the program. UTSA has a VERY SOLID plan in place with strong community support. UTSA had staff members at UH/Rice home games to be fully prepared when they play the first game.

Edited by UNT Fan From a Distance
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

USTA brings a number of items to the table. San Antonio brings a major TV and recruiting market. Networks are very strong on UTSA. Coker's name brings cred. to the program. UTSA has a VERY SOLID plan in place with strong community support. UTSA had staff members at UH/Rice home games to be fully prepared when they play the first game.

San Antonio hardly supported their USFL team, so what makes you so certain they would support a university that has yet to play a down of football? There's a reason the Alamodome has been vacant for years.

• Upvote 1

Really? As in the 37th largest TV market in the U.S.? Did you know that Mesa AZ is the 37th largest city in the US? This would mean that San Antonio has 1/3 the market share it should have for the size of the city it is. Coker's name brings crap since he couldn't find a job anywhere in America and got beat out at Rice for TSUSM's HC to take over. Taking a well-oiled machine (Miami) that ran semi-autonomously and then performing worse and worse every year is not success. UTSA had staff members at that game since they have nothing else to do during football season....so I would send them to every game in the state involving potential or booked matchups. If UTSA had been smart it would have hired a coach that knows how to build rather than assume positions at teams that have top rate players....since he doesn't have that know-how then he very well could flop. There is more to hiring than picking the biggest name. Coach Fran to TSUSM?? Yes...since he has building experience and has been there before. The people outside of this state who have allusions of grandeur about a team springing out of San Antonio have probably never visited the city before and all they think about is "isn't that were the Alamo and Spurs are?" not understanding that outside of El Paso it is considered the armpit of Texas. Sorry to blast but I just call it how I see it.

Edited by All About UNT

They also bring a rich history in football. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

Add La Tech and New Mexico St. and let's shake hands and be done with it. Everyone could agree that adding both of them would be a positive for the Belt but the inclusion of Georgia State, UTSA, TSUSM and Southern Bama is not what Waters stated he had in mind by adding teams to the Belt. You can't just go from two months ago clearly stating that the Belt would not be interested in adding additional teams that have not played one down of Div IA football to now adding 4.

Very Positive

Can't reveal sources but that are in positions as it effects conferrence realingment.

The San Antonio Bowls would be in addition to the current bowl games. An enticement to invite UTSA, Tx St and Ga St.

The San Antonio bowl has been in an exploratory for some time haveing focused on CUSA as the host league with the altimate goal of CUSA membership for UTSA as CUSA has UTSA high on their list for expansion. IF UH bolts for the BE, UTSA is most likley the replacement. If this happened, then NMSU would be a replacement for UTSA.

An enticement to invite UTSA, Tx St and Ga St...these are NOBODY teams and utsa hasn't played any football...attentance ath tx st....8-10k..maybe. Why would you want UNT to assoc with these types of teams....we are already in the cellar of conferences...wanting to move UP.

And what makes you think if UH botls for the BE...which they would if they could...that UTSA would be their replacement in CUSA...I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about...no A's for you..only BS.

• Upvote 1

If we are thinking strategically, don't we want to keep TSU and UTSA down. It is the same reasoning behind wanting to kill off the WAC. The less competition the better. 12 FBS schools in Texas may be a bit much. Those two schools are in a tough predicament right now, and they may be forced to go independent. Especially for recruiting, their existence alone is going to be a hindrance, regardless of whether or not we may be the more attractive option.

If I had to pick one or the other, I would want Texas State, but I will not be one bit disappointed if the SBC decides not to add any 1-AA teams.

I'm sure glad SMU and UTexas don't have that mindset.........Oh wait....

West Division

UTSA

UNT

Tx St

LaTech

ULaLa

ULM

Ark St

East Division

Troy

MTSU

So Ala

FIU

FAU

Ga State

WKU

This pisses me off SO MUCH. This is embarrassing. Have we lowered our expectations so much that we are becoming ok with being in the same conference as a team that has a football team that has never played and other teams that suck at the D2 level???

This conference sucks more and more every day. Sure...we have had a football team for 50+ years, why not be in a conference with a school that doesn't even have one yet? Wow..that is progress I tell you.

Is this what everyone means by "Build the Belt"?

This pisses me off SO MUCH. This is embarrassing. Have we lowered our expectations so much that we are becoming ok with being in the same conference as a team that has a football team that has never played and other teams that suck at the D2 level???

This conference sucks more and more every day. Sure...we have had a football team for 50+ years, why not be in a conference with a school that doesn't even have one yet? Wow..that is progress I tell you.

Dude don't be baited by UTSA supporters. What a joke. Go away UTSA and stop wasting state money. Never mention UTSA next to our school again. DIE DIE DIE

• Upvote 2

For clarity it is actually closer to 100 years. Our first season was 1913 and we've played every season since except for a 3 season stretch during WW2.

Edited by Cr1028

There is absolutely no truth to this rumor whatsoever. The Belt has plenty of bowl games and lose money on the three that we are tied to. We placed all three bowl eligible teams this year and with the amount of bowls out there we will continue to do so. The NCAA has placed a cap on the amount of bowls and the league is at it. Also, to qualify for another primary or secondary tie in, the Belt would have to show an ability to fill those slots through win/loss records. We are capped out and could not associate with another bowl if we wanted to. UTSA and TSSM will pay their dues in the newest "move up" league (the Wac) and is they are successful than they will be considered for membership.

Probably the best news to come out today was that the Mwc decided not to expand and add USU or SJSU. That will leave 2 spots open in the MWC for a potential invite when NT starts dominating the Belt again. With the resources we NOW have, we will be back to the top within a couple of years and one good QB signee. For now we will build the Belt. And for anyone that thinks USA is just another start-up school, you should take a hard look at that institutions support, attendance, budget, and record. They will be the next Troy or better. They will be a contender from day 1... learn about them, they are doing this the right way unlike the "Runners" and their 3 fans.

We don't need to weigh down the conference with more under-performing programs.

Wow...really? You realized this is EXACTLY what members of other conferences say about North Texas, right? The Sun Belt has been a glorified I-AA conference for years as it is...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wow...really? You realized this is EXACTLY what members of other conferences say about North Texas, right? The Sun Belt has been a glorified I-AA conference for years as it is...

Yeah sure. So? So the UT system wants to drown us in their guano droppings. We're supposed to just go along with that? We know everyone wants to keep us down. Helping others up is only going to spread talent pool even thinner and none of us will have a prayer to compete with those further up the totem pole. Anybody going along with the 'let's make local rivals' idea is being DUPED! We have to play offense AND defense.