More Denia %$#@ From The D-Rc

SUMG

It's getting ridiculous. It's January 4th....and already 3 of the days of this year, the D-RC has printed stuff about the Denia Neighborhood's concerns about stadium traffic/parking.

January 1...the front page story done by two writers.

January 2....a D-RC editorial about the matter.

Today, January 4....they print a Letter to the Editor from John Weber, the head of the Denia N'hood Assn. They title the letter, "UNT's Temple of Doom." (and you sense they don't mean it in a positive way---as in a tough place for opposing teams.)

They haven't posted online their Jan. 4 Letters yet.

I wish some of our Denia folks who are for the stadium would send them a letter. It'd be interesting to see if they'd even print it.

GMG!

Edited by SUMG

By the way, as you can see where being sympathetic to the constant cries of the Denial protestors from 3 years ago got us in way of keeping a Greenbelt around our land for them? These people traveled to Austin at least three times to protest the Athletic Village, and the DRC has gone out of their way to fight the stadium project about as much as they possibly can.

The University should build a permanent retaining wall between it's property and the Denial Neighborhood and prevent access to any unannounced visitors. We also have an add that runs in the paper fairly often. That needs to end as well. I don't want a penny of my Mean Green donations to go to the DRC.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

It's getting ridiculous. It's January 4th....and already 3 of the days of this year, the D-RC has printed stuff about the Denia Neighborhood's concerns about stadium traffic/parking.

January 1...the front page story done by two writers.

January 2....a D-RC editorial about the matter.

Today, January 4....they print a Letter to the Editor from John Weber, the head of the Denia N'hood Assn. They title the letter, "UNT's Temple of Doom." (and you sense they don't mean it in a positive way---as in a tough place for opposing teams.)

They haven't posted online their Jan. 4 Letters yet.

I wish some of our Denia folks who are for the stadium would send them a letter. It'd be interesting to see if they'd even print it.

GMG!

I assume you missed the letter of mine that was posted in the "Letters" section responding to an earlier Denia resident? I may not live in the Denia neighborhood, but I am tiring of all the "not in my backyard" mentality from a few, but vocal few, who are getting a lot of press these days. The DRC is only too happy to print this stuff...it's a shame they are not as quick to print editorials and articles about all the positives the stadium will bring to the community, to UNT and, yes, even to the Denia neighborhood. While some think the stadium will drive down property values in the neighborhood, I do believe there is a distinct possibility that it will help to revitalize the area and actually work to raise property values. Time will tell, as no one really knows at this point, but it's silly and a bit of a "head in the sand" mentality being displayed by this vocal few. Sad, perhaps they are those who want Denton to grow, have all the pluses, but they want YOU and ME to do the heavy lifting while they sit back. I don't know all these folks, but I do know several Deina residents, and the ones I know are not a part of this group. Too bad, that group is not as vocal. I have been told by one resident that they see nothing to be gained by trying to fight this neighborhood group as sure as they do, they will be branded "outcasts" and "puppets of the athletic department". Sad, isn't it how Denton tends to respond in the negative BEFORE they even see the results and the actual events of anything UNT tries to do. But, that attitude prevails with lots of people, not just the Denia group doing all the complaining.

Now, let's all be honest here...could the Athletic dept., UNT and the City of Denton be a bit more accomodating and open about plans and how things will be handled? Sure! Could the Athletic Dept., UNT and the City of Denton work closer with these folks to help "calm" their concerns? OF COURSE. But, when one group or the other takes a rigid "it's my way or the highway" stance not much is going to happen. And, in this case, it seems to me that UNT has the upper hand. How they play it out remains to be seen.

I believe it was actually Abe Lincoln who coined the phrase: "You can't keep all the people happy all the time?"

Don't many of us remember the UT tree-huggers in Austin back in the 60's and 70's who were just as vociferous?

I think Denia citizens are a bit too late to be upset now and........how many of em' will have $10 up close parking signs in their yards on Game Day is a question many probably have, too; and if they do--more power to them 'cause it wouldn't bother most of us and would probably change a few of their minds about Game Day, too. :rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I believe it was actually Abe Lincoln who coined the phrase: "You can't keep all the people happy all the time?"

Don't many of us remember the UT tree-huggers in Austin back in the 60's and 70's who were just as vociferous?

I think Denia citizens are a bit too late to be upset now and........how many of em' will have $10 up close parking signs in their yards on Game Day is a question many probably have, too; and if they do--more power to them 'cause it wouldn't bother most of us and would probably change a few of their minds about Game Day, too. :rolleyes:

GMG!

I would love to see this play out in Norman, OK. That is a town that has great traffic cooperation getting people to the stadium but absolutley NONE getting them away from the stadium. Thru the years I have t/w several folks who actually live in Norman and I have asked them about the gameday traffic issues. Everyone of them have responded that although a bad prob after the game......all the positives greatly outweigh that one negative. The town/fans/business community are in love with the events,school,team,etc. I'd go out on a limb here and say if this "Denia" attitude were to take hold in Norman......there would be a massive red march to the complaining neighborhood and probably down to the local paper too and set things RIGHT !!! Denia residents, you need to take your noses out of the air and get your finger out of your butts !!!

Guys lets be honest, if a high school chose to build a huge stadium on your doorsteps you'd be upset as well. These people have the right to be upset but also no one to blame. It's not their land. I feel bad for those who have no connection to UNT because I'm sure it will be inconvenient on game day. I've had a baby who woke up at every little noise outside and know the frustration of the next door neighbors throwing a loud party when I'm trying to keep my baby asleep. I can't imagine what this may be like for them on game day. BUT it is only 6 or 7 days out of the year.

My point, let's not trash a bunch of people we don't even know.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But, some of us do know them and they are the same folks who complain about everything and have since they bought their home next to a university. In fact, many of the same people have made their living off UNT and the growth it has experienced since day 1 and still do...retired or otherwise. It's amazing how most folks "get used" to distractions in their neighborhoods in a very short time. I lived near a railroad changing yard once. When I first moved in (yes, imagine that it was there before I moved in) I heard every clang and bump as the cars were buckled and unbuckled day and night. After about 60 days, I never was aware of the noise until a visitor pointed it out. My Mom moved to a place near a railroad track and mentioned the loud trains almost daily at first. Now, after living there awhile, she doesn't even notice the loud whistle that used to wake her up at night. This is an 84 year old lady. If she can get used to such distractions, the Denia crowd can as well.

I am in 100% agreement that these folks have every right to be concerned, want to protect their property values and want to maintain a decent life style within their neighborhood. But, to go "overboard" and claim the "sky is falling", emergency vehicles will be prevented from getting into the neighborhood, that their property values will plummet and that the "big old uncaring, football God worshiping university" is out to "do them wrong" is just plain silliness.

While my examples may not be exactly apples to apples, I think they serve well enough to make a point. Time and routine has a way of changing one's perspective on things. Maybe the Denia group should stop the "public rock throwing" (that always helps, right) and the inflammatory penmanship in the local media and keep working with the City of Denton and the University to get the best deal they can on traffic flows in the area. Why? Because the reality is...the stadium is there, the games will go on and public streets will be utilized for traffic flow. Time to wake up and live with the reality that the stadium, the Athletic Village and some traffic will be nearby for a great number of years to come.

Well as someone who has lost half of his lot to eminent domain to widen a creek to stop flooding down stream and who has a massive toll road build behind the ditch that is now beyond my back yard, I have some sympathy but not much. I bought the property next to a creek and knew at some point the highway would be build although it was held off for decades by lawsuits. In short, I made the decision to live here and can't really blame anybody else. In retrospect, I still have more land than I want to mow and the toll road thus far is not near as bad as believed, in fact it is very handy. I hope most Denia folk also come to the conclusion their perceived plight is not near as bad as they feared.

I am beginning to believe the Denia leaders may be more enraptured with the publicity than really concerned about the stadium.

As an aside, universities are much desired by most municipalities and have immense positive financial impact. Yes, universities are exempt from property taxes but that is a small price for a City to pay for an entity who employs thousands and brings a very large student population to the city. Add to that the cheap labor students provide and the cultural and entertainment a large university brings to a community and it is easy to see why cities like Denton are really fortunate.

• Upvote 2