The Denia Morons Are Pi$$Ed Again

SUMG

I now see that NT03 had already posted this story on the Stadium board. Sorry for the repeat. If you read the comments for the article...some people tell the Denia crowd to shove it.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_denia_0101.6ce78e62.html

Edited by SUMG

I'm not talking about Brett Vito here....I'm talking about the people that run the paper: To me, they have had a huge anti-stadium agenda, all along the way. They're the same crowd that advocated that we drop football and concentrate on basketball (in an editorial... about 10 years ago).

It's January 1. Yesterday was New Year's Eve, so you know there were no meetings about stadium parking/traffic concerns YESTERDAY. And yet this paper....decides to put two reporters on a story...that isn't exactly big news.

So with the D-RC's front page help....the Denia neighborhood whiners will have a platform to complain as much as they want. The D-RC is just the right kind of paper for this town. Their anti-progress agenda fits in just great with the crowd that runs Denton.

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 1

I'm not talking about Brett Vito here....I'm talking about the people that run the paper: To me, they have had a huge anti-stadium agenda, all along the way. They're the same crowd that advocated that we drop football and concentrate on basketball (in an editorial... about 10 years ago).

It's January 1. Yesterday was New Year's Eve, so you know there were no meetings about stadium parking/traffic concerns YESTERDAY. And yet this paper....decides to put two reporters on a story...that isn't exactly big news.

So with the D-RC's front page help....the Denia neighborhood whiners will have a platform to complain as much as they want. The D-RC is just the right kind of paper for this town. Their anti-progress agenda fits in just great with the crowd that runs Denton.

I commented on the article, it took about 15 minutes because I had to go back and replace all the F bombs with more appropriate adjectives. These people don't want to compromise with NT at all yet they want NT to meet their every demand. I understand NT wanting to be a good neighbor and all but at the beginning, when the denia morons were making outrageous demands with buffer space, planting trees etc. we should have kindly told them to F off. I also understand that NT needs to work with the city and that Denton is notorious for being not only anti-business but also just pretty much inadequate at just about everything (except city officials being corrupt) but NT needs to flex their muscle and kindly tell the city to F off as well. Borroughs didn't like it when Jackson moved offices to Dallas and as much as I hated to see it happen, I enjoyed hearing the crying and whining from city officials. Denton hates NT but sure likes the $$$$ we bring in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I would bet that if one surveyed that neighborhood, one would find that up to 60% of the residents owe their livelihood in one way or another to UNT. That's one reason they moved in that neighborhood in the first place...to be close to UNT. I know several residents of the area who are either current employees of UNT or retired faculty/staff. They think they "own" the public streets that run through their neighborhood. I do understand the concerns about traffic, they are legit, but they are no where near the magnitude that these folks want to make it out to be. I wonder how many will set up "parking lots" in their driveways? Heck, if I was a kid in the neighborhood I'd organize the neighborhood kids to set up a parking system in driveways for the games and get folks to "reserve" spots for "x" number of $$$$ ahead of time. No, not on the street, but in driveways...one or two cars per at $10-15 a car...heck the kids make a few bucks!

There is no way they will be blocked in for those max. 6 games a year...SIX a year...wow, that will kill off the neighborhood...will there be traffic, YEP...get over it....will it ruin your lifestyle...NOT IN THE LEAST.

I love all this "not in my backyard" crap that always comes up when things change..."it's great to help the city and the university as long as whatever happens has absolutely no impact on me and my Deina neighborhood"...stupid thinking. Have they ever once stopped to think of the benefits they and all the citizens of Denton will receive from this new stadium?

In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, "Good Grief"!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I now see that NT03 had already posted this story on the Stadium board. Sorry for the repeat. If you read the comments for the article...some people tell the Denia crowd to shove it.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/localnews/stories/DRC_denia_0101.6ce78e62.html

having been to LSU and seen how the game traffic affects nearby housing I have some sympathy for the residents. You are basically either trapped in your house or shut out of returning to your house for hours. I am told that market value of houses in that area are markedly lower than other like houses in Baton Rouge.

We are not LSU and there won't be 91,000 people going thru Denia but on the other hand there are more outlets from Tiger Stadium. The Denia problem is one I am sympathetic with.

It is easy to be critical of the residents when it is now your home which is affected.

Not that much can be done about it. But being unhappy and seeking solutions is understandable.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

having been to LSU and seen how the game traffic affects nearby housing I have some sympathy for the residents. You are basically either trapped in your house or shut out of returning to your house for hours. I am told that market value of houses in that area are markedly lower than other like houses in Baton Rouge.

We are not LSU and there won't be 91,000 people going thru Denia but on the other hand there are more outlets from Tiger Stadium. The Denia problem is one I am sympathetic with.

It is easy to be critical of the residents when it is now your home which is affected.

Not that much can be done about it. But being unhappy and seeking solutions is understandable.

Screw them they moved in next to the University, UNT owes them nothing. I have seen this crap with airports. The answer is expect Universities to grow and buy a house accordingly if that is a problem for you. Maybe we can get the state to come in and condemn the whole Denia area if they continue to bitch.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 7

I live in the Denia community and I am thrilled I am getting this stadium near my house. Now I can just walk home with a few beers in me rather than drive.

My sentiments exactly.

I'm really not sure how many people will go McCormick to Willowood anyway, seems like it would be a little indirect for most.

There really aren't, IMHO, that many Denians that get worked up about it. It's just a very vocal minority that makes it very hard for UNT to be an attentive neighbor. It's garbage like this that makes me fearful of a real issue coming up.

• Upvote 3

I wonder what would happen if the Denia residents actually placed the blame where it belongs: the City of Denton. They've known for 7 years now that we planned to build a new stadium at that exact location, and they had 8 years to do something about it. A couple months ago, I think they said something to the effect of "in 5 years". So basically, it takes them 13 years to expand about a quarter mile of road off of the service road to the south end of the athletic complex? It would take a city like Frisco or Southlake about six months, if that.

• Upvote 1

I wonder what would happen if the Denia residents actually placed the blame where it belongs: the City of Denton. They've known for 7 years now that we planned to build a new stadium at that exact location, and they had 8 years to do something about it. A couple months ago, I think they said something to the effect of "in 5 years". So basically, it takes them 13 years to expand about a quarter mile of road off of the service road to the south end of the athletic complex? It would take a city like Frisco or Southlake about six months, if that.

You beat me to the punch...well said.

With 8 months until stadium completion, the whole issue of traffic flow and parking around the new stadium is nothing less than baffling. Bonnie Brae between airport and Willowood is UNT's "yellow brick" road through the Mean Green Village. With the opening of the new stadium, I envisioned a 4 lane road with UNT banners leading to our new football stadium, soccer field, volleyball,softball, tennis, (someday track & baseball). Note: Heaven help us on days we have other sports playing at the same time we have a home football game.

I"m curious to see if FAU's new stadium when completed has a two lane road without a shoulder running in front of it...

I definitely noticed this. The basketball team moving to 12-2 and their best start in almost 60 years is a miscellaneous sports item. Possible traffic concerns 6-12 days out of the year for a small neighborhood? Front page headline.

Screw them they moved in next to the University, UNT owes them nothing. I have seen this crap with airports. The answer is expect Universities to grow and buy a house accordingly if that is a problem for you. Maybe we can get the state to come in and condemn the whole Denia area if they continue to bitch.

I remember when the race track was going in out by my parents. Everyone thought that it would destroy the small town feel out there and that was just for one race a year. Instead, what it has done is bring in millions of dollars in revenue and allowed those cities to flourish. The prperty values have gone up and the tax rolls have gone through the roof. I have friend that I went to High School that is on the Roanoke City Council and they have so much money - they literally don't know how to spend it all. If I lived in that neighborhood, I would be excited about having a big time college program next to me so that I could enjoy the games and the exciting opponents that would be coming to town. The city will have more tax receipts as a result and flourish as a result. Small time thinking and paranoia will eventually be replaced with planning for the game weekends and knowing when the game is. It is not even 6 full days that this will effect them, it is a few hours of those 6 days each year.

• Upvote 2

I think we should just kill them all cause they're so stupid.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Yes. Just put some green paint over the door of your house.

Oy vey! Can't we just send a plague of frogs first?

By the way, property values near TCUs stadium were slightly HIGHER than those around the neighborhoods last time I saw. Ford Field certainly hasn't hurt University Park property values. And the property around Baylor's stadium is currently a bit higher than average in Waco. I think our attendance will be more in line with those three than with LSU.

Oy vey! Can't we just send a plague of frogs first?

By the way, property values near TCUs stadium were slightly HIGHER than those around the neighborhoods last time I saw. Ford Field certainly hasn't hurt University Park property values. And the property around Baylor's stadium is currently a bit higher than average in Waco. I think our attendance will be more in line with those three than with LSU.

Already done, in Pasadena.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The traffic concerns seem overblown to me, given the location of the stadium right next to two major interstates. Is there a stadium in the FBS closer to major highways than ours?

Vocal minorities with rigid agendas always seem to get the "press" and "air" time. Today we have the editorial page guru in the Denton Record Chronicle out with another shot at the stadium in favor of the Deina group. I'll bet the guy hasn't even done any research of his own. He even all but indicates that he is just taking his lead from the article printed in the DRC recently. Nice...way to go guru!

OK, look, UNTgeorge has a point that there will be some traffic in the neighborhood. Gee, go figure. I understand that some folks may feel a bit unconvinced during the two houris before and two hours after all SIX of the max home games that will be played, but let's not play the "not in my backyard" game and the "it's not fair...poor me" deal. I really don't think property values have fallen either around the SMU stadium...have you tried to get to that place for a game? All over Stillwater and Norman, OK on game days some neighborhoods have some excess traffic, but life goes on. I'll bet that not even half of the Denia neighborhood folks are THAT worried about it...some may even like the idea.

It's just another example of a vocal minority (Denton seems to have a bunch of those) who want to complain about progress. That stadium will benefit all of Denton and all of UNT. It will even help the residents of Denia if they would think about it...my guess, decisions will be made that will calm the waters and once the stadium is open awhile all will get into a game day rhythm that will satisfy most...you can never satisfy everyone it seems.

GO MEAN GREEN

I think Kram has it. UNT has determined that the people who run the Denia neighborhood assoc aren't representing anyone but themselves and can and should be ignored because they're going to be anti-UNT no matter what.

As a Denian, I'm all for it. Heck, if somebody wants to give me $20-$30 to use my driveway and walk to the stadium let me know!