Live Chat W/ Coach Mccarney

NT03

The one thing I didn't like is that he supports the current BCS system. Booo!

I really like his other answers, though. He knows how to get people fired up but also seems to know how to not stick his foot in is mouth.

I thought the same thing!!! :thumbsd:

At least they were trying something. Even if it was coach speak or nothing new. Keeps the excitement going. Hell, I read this board every day and it's about the same stuff over and over again. Logo talk, jerseys, $100 bills, helmet color, etc. You guys know all the topics by heart. Still, I can't get enough.

• Upvote 1

At least they were trying something. Even if it was coach speak or nothing new. Keeps the excitement going. Hell, I read this board every day and it's about the same stuff over and over again. Logo talk, jerseys, $100 bills, helmet color, etc. You guys know all the topics by heart. Still, I can't get enough.

So, what conference do you think we will be in within the next 3 years?

I wouldn't say all of it was coach speak. There were some interesting nuggets in there. I think RV and Coach Mac are doing a good job of continually creating mysteries that we look forward to.

The question was - Will there be stadium tours?

Answer - stay tuned. Keeps you coming back for more. :gym:

I wouldn't say all of it was coach speak. There were some interesting nuggets in there.

He did play most of it pretty close to the vest. But one nugget I noted:

Every position on this team needs speed, athleticism and size. . . . We just have to get faster, bigger and stronger all around.

Sounds pretty bland on the face of it. But remember that Mike Nelson's philosophy has been to downplay size. The fact that Coach Mac understands the importance of size might suggest a change of D-line philosophy is coming.

I really like his other answers, though. He knows how to get people fired up but also seems to know how to not stick his foot in is mouth.

I think that statement really stuck out. Either he knows something that we don't (like we're on the fast track to the BCS) or he'll come around to the playoff thinking when we are stone-walled toward getting in a BCS bowl.

I don't know what was expected from the MG nation. If you think that positive plans is "coachspeak" then you won't ever believe.

Edited by GrayEagle

I think he forgot about who his audience was on that question! The question was BCS or Playoff?, and he said BCS. That's probably to be expected since he has a giant BCS Champ ring on his finger from Florida and Iowa State is also a part of the BCS Cartel. I hope his tune changes after a few years here, within a non-AQ conference.

I think that statement really stuck out. Either he knows something that we don't (like we're on the fast track to the BCS) or he'll come around to the playoff thinking when we are stone-walled toward getting in a BCS bowl.

I don't know what was expected from the MG nation. If you think that positive plans is "coachspeak" then you won't ever believe.

I have to laugh at this. I hope I live long enough to see us get "stone-walled" for a BCS bowl berth. That alone would far exceed my wildest dreams for North Texas football. Only 10 teams play in BCS bowls each year and the only way we'd ever be in a position to play in a BCS bowl game would be to go undefeated, with victories over at least one (but probably two) top 10 team(s) and end the regular season ranked in the top 5.

For now....I'd be ecstatic to finish a season in the top 25.

I have to laugh at this. I hope I live long enough to see us get "stone-walled" for a BCS bowl berth. That alone would far exceed my wildest dreams for North Texas football. Only 10 teams play in BCS bowls each year and the only way we'd ever be in a position to play in a BCS bowl game would be to go undefeated, with victories over at least one (but probably two) top 10 team(s) and end the regular season ranked in the top 5.

For now....I'd be ecstatic to finish a season in the top 25.

I agree with the tenor of your post but the stonewalling I'm referring to is that he might go undefeated and because he didn't play #1 or #2 won't be considered. It's happened to Boise and it will happen to every non-AQ team until the system is changed.

Maybe I've just read too many excerpts from 'Death to the BCS.'

I think he forgot about who his audience was on that question! The question was BCS or Playoff?, and he said BCS. That's probably to be expected since he has a giant BCS Champ ring on his finger from Florida and Iowa State is also a part of the BCS Cartel. I hope his tune changes after a few years here, within a non-AQ conference.

I'll take the BCS over a playoff. I have yet to hear of a playoff system that will allow us anywhere near the opportunities that the bowl system does. Right now 60+ teams compete in bowls. The absolute largest playoff pool I've heard is 24 teams....and no gaurantee that each conference is represented. Without that simple gaurantee, playoffs are a no for me....and should be for the rest of the non-AQ conferences and teams.

Be careful what you wish for...

• Upvote 2

I'll take the BCS over a playoff. I have yet to hear of a playoff system that will allow us anywhere near the opportunities that the bowl system does. Right now 60+ teams compete in bowls. The absolute largest playoff pool I've heard is 24 teams....and no gaurantee that each conference is represented. Without that simple gaurantee, playoffs are a no for me....and should be for the rest of the non-AQ conferences and teams.

Be careful what you wish for...

Most every playoff system I've seen called for leaves some of the smaller bowls in place for teams that don't qualify for the playoff, think NIT.

A Playoff and Bowl games aren't mutually exclusive.

Most every playoff system I've seen called for leaves some of the smaller bowls in place for teams that don't qualify for the playoff, think NIT.

Most every playoff system I've seen calls for at least one if not two guaranteed spots for each of the AQ conferences, with the other two to four going to at-large bids (which can also come from the AQ conferences). Unless each conference has a representative, then it's better to stick with the current BCS situation. Not a chance in hell that the six AQs agree to a system that gives the Sun Belt just as much power as they have.

We already have a playoff!!! It's called the regular season! Every week is a must win game, which is what makes college football so great. If you go to a playoff system, so what if you still lose a couple games you can still win it all. Nonsense.

Even if you do go to a playoff someone is still going to feel slighted. 4 team playoff teams 5-8 bitch, 8 team playoff teams 9-15 bitch.

It seems to me that things worked out just fine this year. And don't give me some BS about TCU should be playing in the N.C. game.

• Upvote 3

Most every playoff system I've seen calls for at least one if not two guaranteed spots for each of the AQ conferences, with the other two to four going to at-large bids (which can also come from the AQ conferences). Unless each conference has a representative, then it's better to stick with the current BCS situation. Not a chance in hell that the six AQs agree to a system that gives the Sun Belt just as much power as they have.

Absolutely agree the AQ's aren't gong to agree to any de-leveraging from their current system. That's not the point or argument, where did I say or imply that? Congress or some other agency would have to step in to make things work, we know the NCAA doesn't have the balls to stand up for itself in this case. My point is, we wouldn't lose out on the bowl games chances we've got now if a playoff goes into effect.

A playoff is wanted so we can actually crown a true national championship.

And those 2-4 At large bids in the 24 team playoff system could but don't have to come from AQ's... Well bud, if the best 24 are from AQ schools, then so be it, that's not that hard to believe and save for 1-2 teams each year, it's pretty much this way anyway. But TCU and Boise St would both have qualified for a playoff this yr.

Playoff would be the top 16-24 duking it out, which let's get real, we're not going to be involved in for at least a few years to come. I'm all for establishing a legitimate way to crown a national champion. What prevents this from happening is the BCS and it's good old boy system. I'm not looking for equity from the BCS, that won't happen, I want a true national champion, not some computer generated popularity contest, that gets screwed up every other year.

And those 2-4 At large bids in the 24 team playoff system could but don't have to come from AQ's... Well bud, if the best 24 are from AQ schools, then so be it, that's not that hard to believe and save for 1-2 teams each year, it's pretty much this way anyway. But TCU and Boise St would both have qualified for a playoff this yr.

And that argument would be used in any future playoff discussions. The reason those are the best schools right now is because the deck is stacked so heavily in their favor that they would have to be running an awful program for that not to be the case. Washington State, one of if not the worst AQ school, got $7.4 million in conference distributions. North Texas got $1.2 million, for example.

I'm not saying that, all things equal, WKU would start winning national championships, but some of your SBC/WAC/MAC/MWC/CUSA schools would be recruiting better because they could honestly tell the recruits that they could play for a national championship; that wouldn't be a card that a school like Texas Tech could hold over them any longer.

So to paraphrase, no, I'm not in favor of an AQ conference playoff that turns every other conference into pseudo-FCS status.

• Upvote 1

And that argument would be used in any future playoff discussions. The reason those are the best schools right now is because the deck is stacked so heavily in their favor that they would have to be running an awful program for that not to be the case. Washington State, one of if not the worst AQ school, got $7.4 million in conference distributions. North Texas got $1.2 million, for example.

I'm not saying that, all things equal, WKU would start winning national championships, but some of your SBC/WAC/MAC/MWC/CUSA schools would be recruiting better because they could honestly tell the recruits that they could play for a national championship; that wouldn't be a card that a school like Texas Tech could hold over them any longer.

So to paraphrase, no, I'm not in favor of an AQ conference playoff that turns every other conference into pseudo-FCS status.

And to paraphrase, you are in favor of keeping the current system, which guarantees we'll never have shot at equal footing. Kind of counter productive?

Honestly, I'm open to anything that expands the current horizons, crowns a true national championship, and starts to erode the inherent inequity of the BCS system.

I think if you could have a 4 team playoff with the guarantee that it would never get bigger, I would be all on board...

but the FBS is just too big and there are too many whiners to ever crown a 'true' national champion... the system in place works about as good as anything else would right now