University Of North Alabama

bdan2002

Found this interesting report just released by the University of North Alabama Athletics Department. This is a report about them moving up to from Division II. They identify the Ohio Valley Conference - a FCS conference, and the Sun Belt Conference - a FBS conference, as their alternatives.

Here is a link to the report - LINK

Found this interesting report just released by the University of North Alabama Athletics Department. This is a report about them moving up to from Division II. They identify the Ohio Valley Conference - a FCS conference, and the Sun Belt Conference - a FBS conference, as their alternatives.

Here is a link to the report - LINK

Why not? It's where every other suck team gets their start. Lets keep adding new teams so that the conference stays weak.

10 years is long enough....get us the freak out of here.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 10

Why not? It's where every other suck team gets their start. Lets keep adding new teams so that the conference stays weak.

Why would you think that? We had the option of adding several FCS teams over the last two years and have turned them all away. The only team that we are helping move up is a member of the conference and gets an auto invite. In fact, they cannot go to another conference according to our bylaws. Just because a school wants to join us doesn't mean we want them. UTSA listed CUSA in their feasibility study but that didn't mean they actually had a shot at getting in. If anything, adding USA for football will strengthen the conference , they are undefeated and averaging 20k a game in attendance.

• Upvote 2

If anything, adding USA for football will strengthen the conference , they are undefeated and averaging 20k a game in attendance.

I can't see that they've played an FBS team yet. Not on the schedule for next year either. 2009 was literally high school opponents. 2010 was D2 and FCS. 2011 looks like mostly FCS. Western Kentucky was national champion in FCS not too long ago. Doesn't necessarily translate into FBS success.

I'm still trying to figure out how they get to play this schedule. I asked on the general sunbelt board, but got no answer.

We will be set to join a new conference within 5 years. I have that on good authority.

New or existing conference?

The pieces are coming together in place. More attendance and winning in football would help set the course for a moveup.

Eventually though I see the BCS Top 60 splitting off from the Bottom 60 and forming basically another 1-A and 1-AA all over again....over $$.

• Upvote 1

Man, this is a great idea. Do you have any credible ideas on how to convince ANY other league to take us away from the SBC? If so, what would it be? You have any way to convince SMU to let us join a conference with them when they have already blackballed us from their current conference by openly backing a La Tech bid to join CUSA? How about an idea on how to convince the MWC to go ahead and just get us as their next expansion team right now? Surely, you have the ideas that will get us out of the SBC, since you rail on that league in every single post you make and act like changing conferences is just the easiest thing to do for UNT.

If you don't have anything in the sort of credible ideas to get out of the SBC, I am going to recommend that you think about it more--and post about it less...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

That will never happen. Allowing universities to operate without NCAA oversight? Congress will never allow it.

You have way too much faith in Congress to do anything about this. They would have already done something over the course of the last 20 years if they wanted to. Most congressmen have degrees from BCS schools or live in states where the BCS brings in a lot of money from the big state schools that have large programs that are well funded. If Senator Cornyn goes after the BCS, the big $$$ that Texas, A&M, Tech, Baylor, and now TCU would throw at his opponent would be staggering. If you don't believe this, then ask yourself why a PUF endowment still only gives money to UT and A&M every year, even though there are dozens of other public universities in Texas? The answer is that the legislature is dominated by Longhorns and Aggies.

Congress has proven many times over the years that they may pay lip service to this, but the big schools have all the power and sway with them, too. And if the top 60 BCS-AQ teams left the NCAA to form their own coalition, I can guarantee you that their tax-exempt status wouldn't change a bit. As a matter of fact, you would start hearing how this is good for competition with the NCAA. The monopoly argument that would get put out there by ESPN, Fox, CBS, and other media and politicians will center around the NCAA, not the AQ-BCS schools. It sucks big time, but those schools have the rest of the wannabe AQ schools by the short hairs. :growl:

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Surely, you have the ideas that will get us out of the SBC, since you rail on that league in every single post you make and act like changing conferences is just the easiest thing to do for UNT.

Please don't call me Shirley....and it's not every post.

And this is a football forum not politics...please go elsewhere.

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot
  • Downvote 4

You were an advocate for joining the WAC, which has added a FCS school and a school that has yet to field a football team. In addition the WAC has indicated interest in other FCS teams (ex.

Montana). Wright Waters had made it clear that we are not adding FCS teams, that time is over. USA is already in our conference and that is why they are being added.

Man, this is a great idea. Do you have any credible ideas on how to convince ANY other league to take us away from the SBC? If so, what would it be? You have any way to convince SMU to let us join a conference with them when they have already blackballed us from their current conference by openly backing a La Tech bid to join CUSA? How about an idea on how to convince the MWC to go ahead and just get us as their next expansion team right now? Surely, you have the ideas that will get us out of the SBC, since you rail on that league in every single post you make and act like changing conferences is just the easiest thing to do for UNT.

If you don't have anything in the sort of credible ideas to get out of the SBC, I am going to recommend that you think about it more--and post about it less...

I have a few ideas...

1. Improve our facilities.

2. Hire a consultant who knows his way around the NCAA and conferences.

3. Improve our record. How? By hiring a coach who has taken a team from the bottom to the top before.

4. Have an administrator who has worked with the NCAA before and even helped form a conference.

5. Improve revenue by going to the student body for support.

6. Get support from the administration/BOR to commit resources to afford the move to a better conference.

• Upvote 4

I have a few ideas...

1. Improve our facilities.

2. Hire a consultant who knows his way around the NCAA and conferences.

3. Improve our record. How? By hiring a coach who has taken a team from the bottom to the top before.

4. Have an administrator who has worked with the NCAA before and even helped form a conference.

5. Improve revenue by going to the student body for support.

6. Get support from the administration/BOR to commit resources to afford the move to a better conference.

Great ideas... But what are the odds of any of that happening? :ph34r:?

:P

I can't see that they've played an FBS team yet. Not on the schedule for next year either. 2009 was literally high school opponents. 2010 was D2 and FCS. 2011 looks like mostly FCS. Western Kentucky was national champion in FCS not too long ago. Doesn't necessarily translate into FBS success.

I'm still trying to figure out how they get to play this schedule. I asked on the general sunbelt board, but got no answer.

20K attendance though. Hard to argue with that no matter who you're playing. And Boise State was a monster in FCS too, and they eventually translated that into success.