We Are Not A Great Team

emmitt01

I have never thought NT was great this year despite their record. No depth and poor defense is played for too often. Thompson has carried them early, he disappeared tonight.

Hopefully, the team will gel late and make a run, but as weak as the Belt has shown thus far: I think most could play with NT now. NT has played awful away and the lack of depth will continue to haunt them unless someone miraculously becomes a player. Maybe this game will be a wake up call, for a veteran squad to be blown out by anyone in the Southland is pitiful.

• Upvote 2

I feel like we are 1 player short of having a pretty good team. We need someone to replace Knox for the minutes he is playing. He just can't do it now, and it is not likely that he will be able to in the future. I am still, and will always pull for him, we just can't afford to have him on the court right now. On top of that, he is taking up a scholaship.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Little things like keeping your man in front of you and watching for the open shooter were absolutely not done tonight. We need to find a rhythm and quick.

The one thing that I was worried about is our lack of players on the bench. We have 3 guys out Spencer, Williams, and Mcghee. I know hes not on the team but he was in August, because if they knew he wouldnt make his grades then Im pretty sure JJ would of gotten another guard. After Dom and Josh we have 2 walk ons. Thats what I think hurts us the most right now.

• Upvote 1

I feel like we are 1 player short of having a pretty good team. We need someone to replace Knox for the minutes he is playing. He just can't do it now, and it is not likely that he will be able to in the future. I am still, and will always pull for him, we just can't afford to have him on the court right now. On top of that, he is taking up a scholaship.

Even if I agree with you (and I kinda do), that was not the reason we lost tonight. Not by any stretch.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

No, we are not a great team, but we still have the potential to be a very good team. Let's not forget that Sam is pretty good. To be a very good team, we have to shoot lights out from the land of three, we need TT to be the go to guy and score his twenty+ per game, and we need more contributions from Holmen and Edwards. It is really that simple in my opinion. We have to outscore our opponents because we are obviously very limited in our ability to stop high powered offenses. Hogans improvement has been a gift this year, but a couple of our guys are probably maxed out as far as their ability to help us become a much better team this year. Tough loss, but I hope some of these things come together in the second half like they have in the past. We can still go to LSU 9-2 and pull off a big win.

• Upvote 1

Why so much negativity!!! Its ridiculous, i actually drove 3 hours to the game and feel totally different about this one. 1st sam houston honestly out played us the first 5 minutes and last 5 minutes thats it! The rest of the time we were a better team... 2nd they shot lights out and we didnt, this isnt going to happen every game and no the perimeter d was not as bad as your making it out to be, they stepped up and hit big shots we didnt this time... 3rd SHSU is a darn good ball club and they beat us on their court w/ a solid enviorment, it was actually quite loud and emotions were high, and lastly i still left the gym thinking we are a good team and have the potential to be great! i dont understand how everyone can just throw in the towell after this one just doesnt make sense

• Upvote 5

Why so much negativity!!! Its ridiculous, i actually drove 3 hours to the game and feel totally different about this one. 1st sam houston honestly out played us the first 5 minutes and last 5 minutes thats it! The rest of the time we were a better team... 2nd they shot lights out and we didnt, this isnt going to happen every game and no the perimeter d was not as bad as your making it out to be, they stepped up and hit big shots we didnt this time... 3rd SHSU is a darn good ball club and they beat us on their court w/ a solid enviorment, it was actually quite loud and emotions were high, and lastly i still left the gym thinking we are a good team and have the potential to be great! i dont understand how everyone can just throw in the towell after this one just doesnt make sense

I watched the entire game too. Our man to man defense MUST get better, they had far too many easy paths to the bucket. Keeping your man in front of you is defense 101. In fact I have noticed all season that it leads to a bigger issue...you get beat off the dribble by your man, someone rotates to help, your man passes, WIDE open shot. Aside from George there was no toughness down low on the boards. Knox isnt gonna dissuade anyone from scoring down low. So, no, everything is not hunky dory if we want to be confident of winning the conference tourney, get a good seed, or win in the first round.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1

Why so much negativity!!! Its ridiculous, i actually drove 3 hours to the game and feel totally different about this one. 1st Sam Houston honestly out played us the first 5 minutes and last 5 minutes that's it! The rest of the time we were a better team... 2nd they shot lights out and we didn't, this isn't going to happen every game and no the perimeter d was not as bad as your making it out to be, they stepped up and hit big shots we didn't this time... 3rd SHSU is a darn good ball club and they beat us on their court w/ a solid environment, it was actually quite loud and emotions were high, and lastly i still left the gym thinking we are a good team and have the potential to be great! i don't understand how everyone can just throw in the towel after this one just doesn't make sense

-- I absolutely agree with you... first, Sam Houston has consistently been a pretty good team, not Duke but good .... everyone has bad days and if it occurs against a capable team... you lose.. I have not seen any NBA or many NCAA teams with perfect seasons. I am amazed at some who just throw in the towel so quickly after things don't go as they wish.

---I grew up in a town with SEVEN state football championships and an insane number of playoff wins [ they are playing in state semis again this week..and has only one losing season since 1958 ]. The town has about 20,000 people and the attendance at last weeks game was nearly 17,000 (fans from both towns). The attitude is so different there than what I see many others display and of some people here [also was somewhat true for a long time in the town I now live in ] ... The same places tend to win over and over ... partly because of attitude and expectations... they just don't give in when things go bad. It is so strange to me to see teams (and fans) drop their chins and not believe when they get behind or lose. Often it is why my old HS wins so much... you can see the other team has just given up after getting behind by a few points. They expected to lose so they just go through the motions...

---We are not be #1 or even deserve to be ... but a loss doesn't mean we are not good and that we should expecting nothing from then. As I tell others [ parents, friends, students etc ]... expect nothing and that is probably what you will get ... nothing. Besides even if you aren't the best team or person... sometimes strange things happen and you win anyway.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Even if I agree with you (and I kinda do), that was not the reason we lost tonight. Not by any stretch.

You are right, Ben did not lose us the game tonight at all. What I am saying though is that if we could plug a different player into that spot, and have them contribute rather than well...not; the whole dynamic of the team would change. We just need one more guy to step up, and if it turns out to be Ben, I will be thrilled, because he is a good guy and works his butt off.

SHSU is a good team no one disputes that and every team has bad games. The facts are however with a blow out loss to Sam, any chance at an at large bid to the NCAA is probably gone. Slim a chance as it was, now NT must again rely on winning the Belt tournament to get to the NCAA's. Again with three all conference players back I thought this team had a chance to take that next step up. I still have high hopes but right now, this team is in disarray. Sam is not that good a team to blow out NT, look at their record. As far as NT out playing them all but the first and last of the game, as ludicrous a positive as that is; I didn't see it. It appears to me that NT played even with them for that period due mainly due to their foul problems. Sam outplayed NT in the front-court and shoot much better and had a much stronger bench.

This team has character but it is missing some key components. I will never understand the decision to leave two ships on the table in a year that NT should be great.

are you knox's brother?

Lots of Knox bashing. He is far from a good player at this point, but I didn't see were he did significantly worse than Edwards or Holmen. I still don't understand the Edwards signing or way Holmen can't contribute more, but someone out of the three has to develop. Odufuwa also was outplayed most of the game. Only Hogans really showed up for NT in this game.

Lots of Knox bashing. He is far from a good player at this point, but I didn't see were he did significantly worse than Edwards or Holmen. I still don't understand the Edwards signing or way Holmen can't contribute more, but someone out of the three has to develop. Odufuwa also was outplayed most of the game. Only Hogans really showed up for NT in this game.

Holmen is gonna have to change his mentality out on the floor to turn into the contributor that we need him to be. I'd like to see him emulate Big George and Hogans out there. Just watch & mimic. Great build and athletic frame...now get down on the block and work!

As you said, Knox is not the problem on this team. Not the best option that we have for significant minutes, but he's come in a contributed decent spot minutes for us throughout the year. Watch the games. Don't blame him for the losses cause he's the "tall white guy".

are you knox's brother?

:lol:

No. I'm sorry but the game was still within reach in the last 5 minutes, and we got blown out. Ben wasn't in. Did he look rather lost out there? Sure. But he was in for I'm guessing 7-8 minutes. We were outplayed for about 30 minutes last night.

Lots of Knox bashing. He is far from a good player at this point, but I didn't see were he did significantly worse than Edwards or Holmen.

Ding Ding Ding!

Were we able to magically switch the color of Knox/Holmen's skin... Would people be anticipating Knox "figuring it out" and ready to pull the scholarship of the scrawny white guy who thinks he's Peja?

Maybe?

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Ding Ding Ding!

Were we able to magically switch the color of Knox/Holmen's skin... Would people be anticipating Knox "figuring it out" and ready to pull the scholarship of the scrawny white guy who thinks he's Peja?

Maybe?

Yup.

If one went away forever today...I'd hope it weren't the white kid.