Too Many Bowl Games?

For those that say there are too many bowl games and that the quality is diluted, explain this to me. Why, then are the tickets so unbelievably high? Medpilot and I have been making the yearly trek to the Cotton Bowl for about 5-6 years now. I thought "Hey, I'll grab a couple seats and that will be my Christmas present from the wife." Then I looked and found they BEGIN at about $230 each...in the endzone or up four levels in the air. Then I thought, "Ok, maybe not the Cotton Bowl so I'll go watch the Armed Forces Bowl between SMU and Army." Starting at $70 for General Admission. That's not even a seat, that's standing on the grass. SEVENTY DOLLARS TO WATCH THE MUSTANGS??!!! THEY'RE NOT EVEN A REALLY GOOD TEAM. I guess it's better to gouge the few that will show up than to have full stadiums.

For those that say there are too many bowl games and that the quality is diluted, explain this to me. Why, then are the tickets so unbelievably high? Medpilot and I have been making the yearly trek to the Cotton Bowl for about 5-6 years now. I thought "Hey, I'll grab a couple seats and that will be my Christmas present from the wife." Then I looked and found they BEGIN at about $230 each...in the endzone or up four levels in the air. Then I thought, "Ok, maybe not the Cotton Bowl so I'll go watch the Armed Forces Bowl between SMU and Army." Starting at $70 for General Admission. That's not even a seat, that's standing on the grass. SEVENTY DOLLARS TO WATCH THE MUSTANGS??!!! THEY'RE NOT EVEN A REALLY GOOD TEAM. I guess it's better to gouge the few that will show up than to have full stadiums.

Part of the reason ticket prices are so high is because the bowl game force schools to buy 10K to 15K tickets per school. The bowl pays out $750K but forces schools to buy $600K in tickets.

If one day there are dramatically fewer bowl games that will probably mean a national play-off for the NCAA football champion which will mean UNT will probably need to (with great haste) expand the new stadium to approx. 40,000 because the Big Boys I predict will want to use stadium size once more as one criteria when they begin their weeding out process. I know, I know, I know......"the sky if falling" and all that, but that is the method to my madness hoping our stadium had been larger in its initial stages. (It would have been cheaper to have had 5K to 10K more permanent seats now than later).

One day UNT is going to have to remove itself from the "30K Seat Stadium Group" and go rogue if we want to be a player in the future "play-off" oriented NCAA because I fear they will start culling schools out like they did in the early 80's when there suddenly became a NCAA D1-AA--the Big Boys versus the Small Boys. Early bird gets the worm--ask Baylor why it was ready for the SWC implosion and their entrance into the Big 12 and TCU was not ready back in the day (not that it means that much now for the Frogs).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What about the new game at the Cotton Bowl this year?

• Upvote 1

If one day there are dramatically fewer bowl games that will probably mean a national play-off for the NCAA football champion which will mean UNT will probably need to (with great haste) expand the new stadium to approx. 40,000 because the Big Boys I predict will want to use stadium size once more as one criteria when they begin their weeding out process. I know, I know, I know......"the sky if falling" and all that, but that is the method to my madness hoping our stadium had been larger in its initial stages. (It would have been cheaper to have had 5K to 10K more permanent seats now than later).

One day UNT is going to have to remove itself from the "30K Seat Stadium Group" and go rogue if we want to be a player in the future "play-off" oriented NCAA because I fear they will start culling schools out like they did in the early 80's when there suddenly became a NCAA D1-AA--the Big Boys versus the Small Boys. Early bird gets the worm--ask Baylor why it was ready for the SWC implosion and their entrance into the Big 12 and TCU was not ready back in the day (not that it means that much now for the Frogs).

Plumm, I love you to death. Let me just say that up front.

Now, I am always amused by how you can take any thread...literally any thread...and spin it into one of your talking points. If I ever run for public office you are my PR guy. No interview necessary, you're the guy. :lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Plumm, I love you to death. Let me just say that up front.

Now, I am always amused by how you can take any thread...literally any thread...and spin it into one of your talking points. If I ever run for public office you are my PR guy. No interview necessary, you're the guy. :lol:

You know, I don't know why I do that, either; my keyboarding fingers take on an uncontrollable Jim Carey "claw like" effect and I don't always know where they will take me for talking points. :notfair:

And I would proudly serve... :cigar:(Now, Congressman E01, lets talk about a couple of pork projects I have in mind just for Parker County starting with a bridge over my pond). :abe:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Just wait until a week before the game and check Stub Hub. Bowl tickets are known to go for cents on the dollar on stub hub. Or, just ask someone if they've seen any tickets floating around. A lot of tickets are given away for free to the minor bowl games.

I am going to 3 bowl games this year and already have the tickets for all three...

I paid $35 a seat for 2 tickets to the New Mexico Bowl to see UTEP and BYU...

I paid $60 a seat for 4 tickets to the Sun Bowl to see Notre Dame and Miami...

and finally I just bought tickets to the FBS Championship game in Frisco... 2 seats at $40 a seat...

The Armed Forces Bowl organizers had better hope the alumns show up in full force at the prices previously mentioned...

And I have lived in the Dallas area for nearly 12 years and have never been able to afford a Cotton Bowl ticket...

Seems I spoke too soon. If you go on the army website you can order tickets for $40. I tried to purchase 20 and it would have let me. Anyone up for some SMU bowl game action Dec 30?

I have this silly thing called "work" that is stopping me from attending mid-day games. :notfair:

I was thinking about going to that, but seeing throwball being played on that beautiful pitch might be too much for my soccer heart to handle.

We do agree on this! OUCH....my heart will definitely skip a beat or two!

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about going to that, but seeing throwball being played on that beautiful pitch might be too much for my soccer heart to handle.

It's freakin' grass. A pitch is the act of throwing a baseball or softball from the pitcher's mound to home plate. I wonder who will "when" the FBS championship this year.