Is Smu Really That Good?

agw0038

Im sitting watching the CUSA championship game and I still cant believe it. Was SMU really that good this year? How did they get by U of H?

If we played them would we even have a chance? Has SMU widened the gap that much? Is there talent better than ours? Anybody have any perspective as what a recruit is thinking when he makes his mind up to go to SMU instead of UNT? (or is a recruit considering SMU way out of our league?)

Somebody help me out please

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

June Jones is the real deal, and it is very impressive what he has done at SMU; they're only two seasons removed from a one win season. In SMU's five losses this year, they scored an average of 21 points, whereas their opponents scored an average of 35 points per game. In SMU's seven wins, these numbers were basically flipped. SMU's schedule had one ranked team, so it is not as though they accumulated seven wins in the SEC west. They had a quality win over Washington State, but other than that they're playing in a conference only marginally better than the Sun Belt.

I hope SMU continues to improve, and they seem to have the coach who can make that happen, but at this point, it is not accurate to think they miles better than UNT.

Was SMU really that good this year?

They had a good year. But, not one that makes me pee in my pants.

How did they get by U of H?

They lost to U of H.

If we played them would we even have a chance?

Of course. Did you learn nothing by us playing K State?

Has SMU widened the gap that much?

They have widened the gap... But, that much? i am not sure about that.

Is there talent better than ours?

Talent pre-injuries or post? I think they were better coached more than anything else.

Anybody have any perspective as what a recruit is thinking when he makes his mind up to go to SMU instead of UNT?

No,I am not said recruit, reasons are different for everyone.

(or is a recruit considering SMU way out of our league?)

No.

• Upvote 1

Im sitting watching the CUSA championship game and I still cant believe it. Was SMU really that good this year? How did they get by U of H?

If we played them would we even have a chance? Has SMU widened the gap that much? Is there talent better than ours? Anybody have any perspective as what a recruit is thinking when he makes his mind up to go to SMU instead of UNT? (or is a recruit considering SMU way out of our league?)

Somebody help me out please

First of all, SMU has better coaching. That is the main reason for their improvement. The talent is also improved but Jones just seems to be able to get more out of what he has.

SMU didn't beat Houston. In spite of SMU's improvement I still consider them the third best team in the western division behind Houston and Tulsa. They did manage to beat Tulsa by 3 and Tulsa beat Houston by the same.

The Ponies had some luck but they're also a pretty good team; well above us at the moment.

SMU is an expensive place to go to school. A scholarship to SMU is worth far more than a scholarship to North Texas. It has excellent academics in the areas that it grants degrees. Its graduates have had successes in life so that a degree from SMU gains you more prestige. That's the main reason that athletes pick SMU over UNT. On the other hand we have good academics, not up to SMU's standards, but good none the less. We also have far more degree plans to choose from which allows us to pick up some recruits from the private universities.

better conference

better coach

better education

U of H beat us they just lost to everyone else

better conference - Yes I agree CUSA is overall a better football conference.

better coach - I'm a big fan of JJ....although I think our new coach gives him a run for the money. I think we will see a different team the next few years.

better education - Seriously?? Why even bring that into the discussion? Douche.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

better conference - Yes I agree CUSA is overall a better football conference.

better coach - I'm a big fan of JJ....although I think our new coach gives him a run for the money. I think we will see a different team the next few years.

better education - Seriously?? Why even bring that into the discussion? Douche.

I was giving some reasons why recruits might choose SMU over UNT is all. I like UNT. I grew up in Denton and took some classes at UNT. I'm not trying to bash UNT. There is really no need to attack me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

SMU is an expensive place to go to school. A scholarship to SMU is worth far more than a scholarship to North Texas. It has excellent academics in the areas that it grants degrees. Its graduates have had successes in life so that a degree from SMU gains you more prestige. That's the main reason that athletes pick SMU over UNT. On the other hand we have good academics, not up to SMU's standards, but good none the less. We also have far more degree plans to choose from which allows us to pick up some recruits from the private universities.

Cost and worth are two different things.

I was giving some reasons why recruits might choose SMU over UNT is all. I like UNT. I grew up in Denton and took some classes at UNT. I'm not trying to bash UNT. There is really no need to attack me.

Most athletes (at least ones that are talented) won't choose a school based education. I'm sorry but that was a douche thing to say. As to why students may choose SMU over UNT right now...your first two reasons were absolutely valid and I agreed with it.

my friend from highschool was recruited by UNT and SMU a few yrs ago. he chose SMU becuz of academics. he was a 3* recruit i believe, but he fizzled out doesnt play for them anymore. its been hard for UNT to go up against SMU in the past, but with our new stadium, the only real leg up SMU has on us anymore is the conference affiliation thing. i mean i really hate SMU since i bleed green... but SMU really cares about there football team. they spend lots of money which makes them think very highly of themselves... im of the opinion though that UNT can and will one day surpass SMU in football... but SMU is smart... they see the new stadium, the 40k students, the name "North Texas"...we are a direct threat to SMU for recruits in the DFW metroplex... so they will do whatever they can to stop us

• Downvote 1

better education

That's a pretty subjective topic regardless of how many bribes are handed out. The managing partner at my firm is an smu graduate, and he tells me that he believes UNT has the second best business school in the state behind only UT. I think I'll take his word over someone who bangs stangs for a living. :D

Over rated..... we could blow them open next yr. Can't wait to recommence the home and home. Notice any red shirts in Ford Field today?? All I see is a sea of black.

I know all those erector-set tin stadiums look alike, but today's game was played in the one that doesn't have the brick facade.