Should Unt Consider Joining The Wac?

Harry

Not a simple yes/no question.

It depends on what offer is on the table. And this is coming from a guy who has been totally, vehemently, VIOLENTLY anti-WAC for years.

I'd heavily lean towards "no", but I would like to know just how desperate they are and what they're willing to offer us.

No to increased travel costs.

No to playing team worse than the SBC.

No to West Coast start times.

No to playing teams in states we don't recruit.

No to playing games fans can't reasonably travel to.

No to the getting on the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

It depends on what offer is on the table. And this is coming from a guy who has been totally, vehemently, VIOLENTLY anti-WAC for years.

I'd heavily lean towards "no", but I would like to know just how desperate they are and what they're willing to offer us.

Good point - I would be very interested to know what their offer is.

WAC = We Ain't Coming

IOutside of everything else that hs been mentioned, the WAC is now the equivalent to the Southland West only weaker.

WAC = Was A Conference

First, it is nice to be wanted even if Benson is in survival mode. And that survival mode will make him offer anything to keep his conference (and job) viable.

I wouldn't put it past him to again offer multiple SBC schools an invite as a group. Think UNT/ULL/ASU to team with La Tech/UTSA/Tx St.

He has already this month offered Hawaii a football-only membership and Denver a no-football membership (both against current league rules). He has been turned down for complete membership by Montana, UC-Davis, and now tonight UNT.

Unless part of the offer is all of our football games and half of our basketball games on NATIONAL television with a BCS bowl tie in...

NOT INTERESTED!

The Sunbelt is in better position to pull NMSU and LT out of the WAC than the WAC is to get NT, or other similar schools.

Push those two hard to join this conference. Then we start thinking about what will be left from C-USA when their best start leaving.

GMG

Don't call either until you've got a firm idea from ESPN what adding them is worth. If it is same dollars per school as we would get without them, exactly why would we call them?

• Upvote 1

Don't call either until you've got a firm idea from ESPN what adding them is worth. If it is same dollars per school as we would get without them, exactly why would we call them?

I would think WW called ESPN yesterday to ask the dollar differences with every possible combination of Denver, NMSU, UTSA, TXST and La Tech joining the Belt.