Congrats And Perspective From A Baylor Bear

True Colors

First up, nice job of beating Texas Tech. That was a sweet win.

I went to the game and it is clear that this was no fluke. UNT has stepped it up in basketball. You can -- and should -- expect to post more wins like this at least from time to time. You have recruited some pretty good players and they just flat outhustled TT last night.

The super pit is a pretty cool place to watch a game. The band was rocking and the students were really into the action. The place looks good when it is rowdy and even half full.

I also like how the concourses just inside the entrance are pretty wide and easy to get around.

The tx tech fans just kind of sat there in horror and disbelief while UNT kept taking it to them and finally slammed the door shut in their faces. It's funny how so many tx tech people pride themselves on having such really intense, really kick ass fans. But when you throw a little adversity their way and they lose interest faster than you can blink an eye.

On the negative side of things...... I arrived in Denton kind of late. The parking situation was really, really bad. We had to park out by the football stadium and hike forever to get to the basketball arena.

Also, once we got inside the person selling tickets did not have any more of the $10 seats available. She made us walk around the building to the next section to buy tickets from someone else. She should have made "someone else" bring some extra $10 tickets to her.

The concession lines were too long. Way too long. Really unbelievable. I do not know if this is a staffing issue or what it might be, but we ended up buying just a pretzel since that was the shortest line we could find. If the regular concession area were shorter then we probably would have spent about 15 bucks. Some other people probably said screw it also.

If you want to move things up to the next level then you need to continue scheduling higher profile opponents from bigger conferences, and get a parking garage like SMU has, and improve a couple of basic things like ticketing and concessions. Just minor details, really. These are things which could help improve the overall fan experience.

Oh yeah, I also think it would also help for you to advertise your bigger games like this on the radio. The attendance was pretty good for a weeknight but when you are playing an opponent from a major conference like the Big 12 then you have a chance to pick up some extra local observers who do not normally follow UNT as much.

Again, great job on the win, and congratulations.

TC

Edited by True Colors
  • Upvote 1

First up, nice job of beating Texas Tech. That was a sweet win.

I went to the game and it is clear that this was no fluke. UNT has stepped it up in basketball. You can -- and should -- expect to post more wins like this at least from time to time. You have recruited some pretty good players and they just flat outhustled TT last night.

The super pit is a pretty cool place to watch a game. The band was rocking and the students were really into the action. The place looks good when it is rowdy and even half full.

I also like how the concourses just inside the entrance are pretty wide and easy to get around.

The tx tech fans just kind of sat there in horror and disbelief while UNT kept taking it to them and finally slammed the door shut in their faces. It's funny how so many tx tech people pride themselves on having such really intense, really kick ass fans. But when you throw a little adversity their way and they lose interest faster than you can blink an eye.

On the negative side of things...... I arrived in Denton kind of late. The parking situation was really, really bad. We had to park out by the football stadium and hike forever to get to the basketball arena.

Also, once we got inside the person selling tickets did not have any more of the $10 seats available. She made us walk around the building to the next section to buy tickets from someone else. She should have made "someone else" bring some extra $10 tickets to her.

The concession lines were too long. Way too long. Really unbelievable. I do not know if this is a staffing issue or what it might be, but we ended up buying just a pretzel since that was the shortest line we could find. If the regular concession area were shorter then we probably would have spent about 15 bucks. Some other people probably said screw it also.

If you want to move things up to the next level then you need to continue scheduling higher profile opponents from bigger conferences, and get a parking garage like SMU has, and improve a couple of basic things like ticketing and concessions. Just minor details, really. These are things which could help improve the overall fan experience.

Oh yeah, I also think it would also help for you to advertise your bigger games like this on the radio. The attendance was pretty good for a weeknight but when you are playing an opponent from a major conference like the Big 12 then you have a chance to pick up some extra local observers who do not normally follow UNT as much.

Again, great job on the win, and congratulations.

TC

Thanks for the kind words and constructive criticism True Colors... however, I cant help but notice your thread title: "...from a Baylor Bear" and your avatar of: "Loves the Aggies! Go ATM!!" What's that all about?

The concession issue is a huge problem. There are only two concession stands serving the entire Pit. I would like to hear from RV on ways he will improve the situation. I know a lot of people that decided not to get anything because it was to much of a hassle. A great atmosphere in the Pit last night... please fix the concession problem.

The food selection and availability at basketball concessions has been an issue since I started going. I've never counted how many we have, all I know is I've never seen some of them open. Convert one of them into a fan shop and open the rest every game. There's no reason they shouldn't all be open when we're bringing in over 2100 for an exhibition game, let alone 7100 for a marquee game.

I've heard RV address the concession issue before. It's kind of a catch 22. When we are only putting 2000-5000 butts in seats for most of our games, that isn't enough fans to support more concession stands, If we had crowds of 7k+ like last night on a regular basis then all cocession stands would be open. We just need to have bigger crowds on a more regular basis.

Thanks for the kind words and constructive criticism True Colors... however, I cant help but notice your thread title: "...from a Baylor Bear" and your avatar of: "Loves the Aggies! Go ATM!!" What's that all about?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/111310dnsposherrington.365be90.html

He read this article and now is completely torn about where is loyalties should lie...

Until further details appear he will remain a BAYATM...

however, I cant help but notice your thread title: "...from a Baylor Bear" and your avatar of: "Loves the Aggies! Go ATM!!" What's that all about?

Those can only be set by admins. In this case it was me, a long time ago.

TC was over here talking some smack over the upcoming NT/Baylor football game, and he had made clear his hatred for the Aggies, so I changed his title.

I could change it now if he wanted.

Those can only be set by admins. In this case it was me, a long time ago.

TC was over here talking some smack over the upcoming NT/Baylor football game, and he had made clear his hatred for the Aggies, so I changed his title.

I could change it now if he wanted.

Thank you. That would be nice.

No need to keep a grudge alive for 7+ years, is there? :D

TC

--The parking situation may improve.... expect the near side of Fouts to be blown up.. thus more space.

--I don't know anything about the university plans but keeping the far side and the track in place would make some sense.... at least short-term.

--The parking situation may improve.... expect the near side of Fouts to be blown up.. thus more space.

--I don't know anything about the university plans but keeping the far side and the track in place would make some sense.... at least short-term.

I haven't heard of any official plans to demolish any of Fouts.

I've heard RV address the concession issue before. It's kind of a catch 22. When we are only putting 2000-5000 butts in seats for most of our games, that isn't enough fans to support more concession stands, If we had crowds of 7k+ like last night on a regular basis then all cocession stands would be open. We just need to have bigger crowds on a more regular basis.

Parking, ticket window, and concession issues have been problems for big games at the SuperPit since at least 1977. I don't know why they can't predict that twice the normal crowd would show up for Tech and staff twice the normal ticket sellers and add more kiosk food and drink vendors, like at Fouts. They are losing a lot of concession $$.

One can look at the schedule and tell which opponents will draw more fans.

Parking is somewhat limited because of weeknight classes. But it is at most campuses with an arena near the core campus. People just won't come earlier and then get caught in traffic, duh!

Edited by NT80