Phil Fulmer, Why Aren't We Considering Him?

Got5onIt

Haven't heard his name kicked around at all:

"As the Head Coach of his alma mater, the University of Tennessee Volunteers for 17 years, Phillip Fulmer coached and motivated his players to win over 74% of their games.

Coach Fulmer built his teams into SEC East Champions seven times; SEC Champions twice; and brought a National Championship to the University of Tennessee for the first time in 41 years after completing a perfect 13-0 season in 1998."

"As the Head Coach of his alma mater, the University of Tennessee Volunteers for 17 years, Phillip Fulmer coached and motivated his players to win over 74% of their games.

Coach Fulmer built his teams into SEC East Champions seven times; SEC Champions twice; and brought a National Championship to the University of Tennessee for the first time in 41 years after completing a perfect 13-0 season in 1998."

I would put Fulmer on a different level than even Leach. I just don't think we have the funds to get him AT ALL (and I'm not too sure he wants to coach anywhere else).

If a rabbit came out of RV's hat and Phil Fulmer was hired, I would be on cloud 9. You wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off of my face.

• Upvote 3

His name was kicked around a little bit in the early stages of the search.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55135&view=findpost&p=507589

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56274&view=findpost&p=518883

But if Leach is out of our league, Fulmer is waaayyyy out of our league.

What we know: There is a national search for a head coach going on.

What we don't know: Anything else. Who's on the "list?" Rick knows, Neinas knows, and the candidates know. That's about it. How does anybody on GMG know whether anybody is or isn't being considered (aside from Canales who is a pretty safe bet to be a candidate).

He's a great coach.

It's been thrown out there but no point in discussing him at this point. I posted this a few months ago on another thread and this is from his Wikipedia thread and we don't exactly fit in his requirements.

Fulmer can currently be found as a sports analyst on CBS's SEC Postgame Show, as well as various programming on the CBS College Sports Network. Fulmer also believes he will coach again in the future. He is looking to establish himself at a well-established school. "Somebody that's committed to winning championships and being the best that they can be, with a chance to compete in a conference that's nationally recognized. I'm not going to go walk into a door somewhere that you have no chance to be successful."

It's been thrown out there but no point in discussing him at this point. I posted this a few months ago on another thread and this is from his Wikipedia thread and we don't exactly fit in his requirements.

You forget, a major reason for Neinas is to gauge interest without any public knowledge. No notes, nothing to get from a FOI request but a quiet verbal only to RV that so and so is or is not interested. And nothing for a candidate who just happens to call Neinas to find out what's new and ask who might be looking for a coach.

I don't know how many times I need to write most people on this message board will never know exactly who was or was not 'contacted" or "inquired about the position."

Trust RV or just fire him. What is happening right now is how coaches are hired in the 21st century.

He's a great coach.

i know i am beating a dead horse, but if he is so great, why was he fired from his last job? and why is our "name" coaching list comprised of only coaches canned? is this job not good enough to attract a canidate with successful head coaching experience who has not been recently terminated? why do we set our sights so low ? just asking.

• Upvote 1

i know i am beating a dead horse, but if he is so great, why was he fired from his last job? and why is our "name" coaching list comprised of only coaches canned? is this job not good enough to attract a canidate with successful head coaching experience who has not been recently terminated? why do we set our sights so low ? just asking.

Did you happen to read the article last week about Colorado and their AD complaining because he won't be able to pay their next coach more the $2 MILLION and that just wasn't enough to compete. I

THAT is why we are looking at Head Coaches who have been fired at some point.

why is our "name" coaching list comprised of only coaches canned? is this job not good enough to attract a canidate with successful head coaching experience who has not been recently terminated?

I think RV at least owes it to the fan base to give a ring to Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Mack Brown and tell them he has got a cool $1 million dollars and a new 30,000 seat stadium waiting for them if they'll just quit their current jobs...

I could barely finish that sentence without punching myself in the face...

• Upvote 1

From reading your posts you make it sound like a coach isn't good enough if he is fired. Many AD's have knee jerk reactions when they see 1 or 2 average or bad seasons and the blame always goes to the coach. Don't look down on candidates just because he was technically "fired". This isn't real world corporate America where getting fired can be a career killer. This is a different business and just because they were fired makes no difference.

I think RV at least owes it to the fan base to give a ring to Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Mack Brown and tell them he has got a cool $1 million dollars and a new 30,000 seat stadium waiting for them if they'll just quit their current jobs...

I could barely finish that sentence without punching myself in the face...

Wardly gives you a thumbs up for only considering name coaches who have won NCs and never been fired to come to UNT and the SBC!!! You never know until you ask...

His name was kicked around a little bit in the early stages of the search.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56274&view=findpost&p=518883

But if Leach is out of our league, Fulmer is waaayyyy out of our league.

Yes, Fullmer IS way out of your league.

As to others mentioned in the link, Rocky Long is happy as a pig in slop just being the DC at SDSU. He has said he was tired of being the head guy, he's been good friends with Brady Hoke since they worked together at Oregon State many years ago, and every time Hoke's name comes up for another gig, Rocky's name comes up as the leading candidate to replace him. Gary Gibbs? My friend who is a huge Oklahoma fan, being originally from Norman, says he wouldn't hire Gibbs for dog catcher. Willingham and Dorrell? To me it would depend on what kind of staff they could put together since neither has ever worked anywhere in Texas to my knowledge. Same for Paul Pasqualoni, who was an interesting suggestion. That guy's name never seems to come up anywhere but he did a great job at Syracuse before some regression the last few years. On the face of it, I think any of those last three might be a good hire for you if they could put together a staff including several assistants who know some HS and JUCO coaches in your state.

• Downvote 4

From reading your posts you make it sound like a coach isn't good enough if he is fired. Many AD's have knee jerk reactions when they see 1 or 2 average or bad seasons and the blame always goes to the coach. Don't look down on candidates just because he was technically "fired". This isn't real world corporate America where getting fired can be a career killer. This is a different business and just because they were fired makes no difference.

depends upon why they were fired. however,you do make a good point. i just can't believe there is not a winning 1aa coach, for example, that would see us a a step up the ladder and that we can actually afford instead of a bcs retread just looking to get back in the game whom we can't afford.[i am guessing our salaty cap is about $500,000, but just a guess].all names with splash mentioned made about twice that amount if not more.