Phil Fulmer, Why Aren't We Considering Him?

Got5onIt

I have no doubt that they will drop down to 4. :(

Hope not...I have several friends who are TCU grads in both Fort Worth and Parker County.

DJ'ed a wedding last Sunday night at Whites Estate & Wedding Chapel (near Colleyville) and an entire table by my DJ station were fellow members of Couts Methodist Church and..........TCU grads/Horned Frog fans.

GMG!

i just can't believe there is not a winning 1aa coach, for example, that would see us a a step up the ladder and that we can actually afford instead of a bcs retread just looking to get back in the game whom we can't afford

Your initial post said you wanted a "name" coach... There is no such thing as a 1AA "name" coach...

About the closest thing you'll find is Jerry Moore at Appalachian St. and he ain't leaving there and he's like 100...

Your initial post said you wanted a "name" coach... There is no such thing as a 1AA "name" coach...

About the closest thing you'll find is Jerry Moore at Appalachian St. and he ain't leaving there and he's like 100...

Terry Bowden is at D-II North Alabama. Larry Coker is at FCS (1-AA) UTSA.

He has said he was tired of being the head guy, he's been good friends with Brady Hoke since they worked together at Oregon State many years ago, and every time Hoke's name comes up for another gig, Rocky's name comes up as the leading candidate to replace him.

I heard Brady Hoke's name mentioned for the Minnesota job.

I don't think we'll be hiring Phil Fulmer because something he mentioned in his Wikipedia bio:

Fulmer can currently be found as a sports analyst on CBS's SEC Postgame Show, as well as various programming on the CBS College Sports Network. Fulmer also believes he will coach again in the future. He is looking to establish himself at a well-established school. "Somebody that's committed to winning championships and being the best that they can be, with a chance to compete in a conference that's nationally recognized. I'm not going to go walk into a door somewhere that you have no chance to be successful."[11] Fulmer was a strong candidate for the University of Louisville head coaching job. He stated in many interviews that he was interested in the job and also has had a phone interview with Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich. However the job was eventually offered to Charlie Strong.

Here's the link, in case anyone wants to read the full article:

Phil Fulmers Wikipedia bio

This is not to say that we shouldn't consider Fulmer, but it might be a waste of time, since he probably wouldn't consider us.

On the other hand, it's hard to read that article without thinking how stupid it was of Tennessee to fire him over one 5-7 season. He could fairly assume that wouldn't happen to him here.

Edited by eulessismore

TCU pulled off a win but barely. It was a strange game period, on both sides of the ball.

Yes, very strange. The Aztecs dominated about the first seven minutes and the last seven minutes but TCU controlled the rest of the game. I think SDSU had exactly one first down until that last seven minutes, having scored early on a recovery of an Andy Dalton fumble and a dive from a yard out after connecting on a long flea flicker. TCU has as good a defense as I've seen in college ball but SDSU has two wideouts who will be playing on Sundays next year and they burned the Frogs several times for big gains.

Two years ago SDSU had the only double-digit loss season in its history. This year we're 7-3 and 11 points from being undefeated. The difference? Coaching, pure and simple.

I heard Brady Hoke's name mentioned for the Minnesota job.

Although it definitely has been, Brady said he's not interested and I think he's a man of his word. Plus he coached at Michigan and it's pretty well known that's the job he covets. Rich-Rod will be back in 2011 but if he has a bad year, that job will be open and if Hoke wins big time next year, which with the studs he's been recruiting barring injuries he will, he will be a leading candidate for that gig. A lot of Aztecs will be pissed at him for leaving, but not me. The man has been a beacon light out of the darkness of three years of misery under Chuck Long and I'll wish him well. I'll also know that we now have in place a recruitment process which won't trust our AD to handle it himself and screw things up. Guys like Marshall Faulk, Fred Dryer, Brian Sipe and La'Roi Glover are now actively re-associated with the school and they helped the Parker firm out of Florida vet candidates two years ago and I fully expect that process to be replicated when Hoke leaves in order to hire the best possible coach to replace him.

Terry Bowden is at D-II North Alabama. Larry Coker is at FCS (1-AA) UTSA.

True, but they have been fired from D-1 jobs and are re-treads that experienced off-field issues during their tenures in D-1...

I was under the impression that we could do better than to have anyone who had ever been fired and were looking for a coach with impeccable character...

Bowden and Coker don't quite fit the bill...

If only Joe Paterno were younger...

Never been fired and no serious off-field issues...

i don't recall ever posting that i wanted a name coach, simply because the list on this board that i have seen are either not affortable or in my mind unacceptable. however, given that i am subject to memory as well as lapses in judgement,i could have, but don't think so.[ jerry moore replaced fry at unt, and lost as many as he won in his 2 years here.] i just want someone who has won at some level of college football and looks at us as a career opportunity, not redemption. having said that, coach chico is looking like he might be the man, especially if he beats la.monroe on the road.just an old man's opinion.

Plus, we already had him for coach once! He was the last coach we had to "leave for a better offer," if you can call Tech a better offer.

True, but they have been fired from D-1 jobs and are re-treads that experienced off-field issues during their tenures in D-1...

I was under the impression that we could do better than to have anyone who had ever been fired and were looking for a coach with impeccable character...

Bowden and Coker don't quite fit the bill...

If only Joe Paterno were younger...

Never been fired and no serious off-field issues...

That's the delima we're in if going after a so-called "name" coach. If they weren't damaged goods or considered old shelf life they probably wouldn't be available to us. It's either not-quite-ripe fruit or quality bruised fruit we're looking at. Tough decision.

That's the delima we're in if going after a so-called "name" coach. If they weren't damaged goods or considered old shelf life they probably wouldn't be available to us. It's either not-quite-ripe fruit or quality bruised fruit we're looking at. Tough decision.

Honestly, neither of those issues relate to why Fulmer is unemployed (although some here may consider 60 old shelf life), he just seems to want to coach somewhere that has a chance of winning a national championship. As far as the "damaged goods" category, I would just like to see a story of the coach, fired for issues other than losing, out of football for a year or more, coming back at the FBS level and turning around a program that has been struggling for several years. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I'm just thinking someone here will know whether it happened, and for who.