Unt Vs Henderson State

Eagle-96

Emmitt could have shared the pizza. Just saying.

He did share it. Courtland (in town from L.A. and lounging on my couch watching ESPN at the moment) ate 80% of it.

Side note: If anyone wants to win a free pizza, sit behind MeanMag and me. 2 games, 2 pizzas. Apparently, we're a magnet for that promotion.

• Upvote 2

Stupid question, but Henderson St lists this as an exhibition and North Texas lists it as the season opener. Henderson is Div II (correct?) so I don't think the game counts in RPI, but shouldn't it be real game or exhibition for both schools?

You are correct.

http://www.hsu.edu/athcontent.aspx?id=52484

http://www.hsu.edu/athcontent.aspx?id=53209

Strange.

interior line beyond the starters is not good.

Or?

22pts, 14rbs, 5blks from the Hogans-Holman-Edwards troika tasked with replacing Trammy. I doubt one of those guys steps in and fills Eric's void by himself...but combined game lines like that will make me happy.

The stats I like from Holmen tonight are 8rbs (4 offensive), 2 blocks and only 1 3PT attempt.

I'm with him.

• Downvote 1

I agree. The kids did make it fun! There was a group of high school guys (I think) that were having just as much fun as the little kids. That was awesome.

And, I cracked up when (pregame) one of the Pit Crew guys yelled "BRETT VITO!" and got his little sheepish wave from Brett. Too cute.

and, even at 8'8, I'm not on the Knox bandwagon. (and why I made my comment - last BB season, I bagged on him and got about a dozen red negatives and lots of people fussing at me about him.)

That was me. Me and BV are tight.

• Upvote 1

Based on these first two games, I think Dominique should be our starting point guard. I love White, and this isn't a shot against him. However, based on the first two games, Dom looks sharper, faster (much, much faster -lightning quick), more creative, and on-target with his shots. White's shot is off (though we know he will get it back and light it up soon), but even more important he looks flat - physically and emotionally. White's passes are lazy and several got intercepted in both games (and these are DII players). Moreover, White seems reluctant to feed the big men and prefers to play catch outside the 3-point line. In short, I think Dom has earned the starting role in my humble opinion.

Based on these first two games, I think Dominique should be our starting point guard. I love White, and this isn't a shot against him. However, based on the first two games, Dom looks sharper, faster (much, much faster -lightning quick), more creative, and on-target with his shots. White's shot is off (though we know he will get it back and light it up soon), but even more important he looks flat - physically and emotionally. White's passes are lazy and several got intercepted in both games (and these are DII players). Moreover, White seems reluctant to feed the big men and prefers to play catch outside the 3-point line. In short, I think Dom has earned the starting role in my humble opinion.

Our best lineup today was Josh at the 1, Dom at the 2 - 1, Triston at the 3, and George plus a couple combinations at the 4 and 5. I would not be in favor of sitting Josh for Dom, it looked to me like with both out there it created some very nice matchup problems as well as quite a bit fast break opportunities.

Look...you need one of them off the bench...and I can assure you it won't be Josh. They each played about 30 minutes...and they will, barring just extremely hot nights from someone else, be on the floor to close out tight games with TT, George and whichever Shorter, Edwards, Hogans, Holmen is having the strongest game.

Who starts is unimportant...it's who finishes the game that matters.

• Upvote 2

Alright, if there were really only 3100 there today, then I stick by my claim that there was probably 1000 and some change at the scrimmage if not less. Scrappy and the dancing floor sweeping guy were cracking me up.

Liked the play out of Hogans and Edwards today, I think I saw where Edwards went 2 for 10 and that alarms me, but those two can rebound and defend and if they can do that solidly I'll be happy. Dom is going to be a nightmare for opposing defenses, when Tristan, White, and Dom are playing, it is going to be really tough for defenses to stop. One thing that I did not like is the fact that Odufuwa has been out hustled by two big men from Ark-Mon and HSU. There were times when the rebound should have been his and he just got outworked for the loose ball down low. White's play so far concerns me a little, but I think it's natural as this whole team is just trying to get used to each other and figure out each others game once again. I sure hope we really do pack the pit on Tuesday. The banners being raised plus the crowd and energy should be electric for the night and align the stars just right for a mean green victory. I don't understand how 9k alumni can show up for the football games, but not the basketball games. I am just hoping that was because most were at work. Anything less than 6k I will be disappointed.

Quick Thoughts:

1) Welcome back Kendrick Hogans. Rusty in the first half, but really solid later on.

2) Tristan missed a few wide open threes that usually fall for him. I expect he will lead this team in PPG by a healthy margin.

3) Shannon Shorter still thinks he is the best player out there any time he is on the floor. Depending on the night that could be good or bad.

4) George's offensive numbers are going to dip without Tramiel, but he had some great passes to cutters.

5) The full court press looked awful when first implemented, but vastly improved as the game wore on.

6) Knox, despite the JJ hype, looks like the same player.

7) This team will be able to win games in a ton of different ways.

• Upvote 2

Still think we will see early season struggles in the half court set. This team is gonna go through an adjustment phase of playing without the Big Tram down low.

I've seen the same as you through 2 games.

So far, both teams have not let us get out and run very much, which is where we have really hurt opponents in the past. They are forcing us into a half court game with slower tempos. It wasn't until the second half that I saw our team not shy away from contact in the paint. Tristan getting +1s may have inspired the rest of the team. We also looked pretty good when we moved the offense through Edwards at the charity stripe to collapse the zone and he was able to find the open guy.

I haven't looked at the stats, but Josh White seems to be in a slump from beyond 3. It doesn't matter too much right now with Dom taking up the slack.

hogans was a starter with odufuwa. holmen got some rebounds but the group of holmen-knox-edwards as a whole second unit was poor in shooting and turnovers. to think otherwise means you did not see it live.

I did indeed see it live. We got 40 points off the bench. I don't care whether it was in the paint or on the perimeter... At least we're scoring off the bench. Also, if you look at scoring efficiency in terms of time on the floor... Holmen and Edwards scored more points per minute on the floor than Hogans or Odufuwa. I don't care if they're missing shots from the floor when they get fouled as long as they hit the free throws that follow. Points are points.

Knox will not play double digit minutes against a full D1 schedule, especially once Cam Spencer gets back.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I did indeed see it live. We got 40 points off the bench. I don't care whether it was in the paint or on the perimeter... At least we're scoring off the bench. Also, if you look at scoring efficiency in terms of time on the floor... Holmen and Edwards scored more points per minute on the floor than Hogans or Odufuwa. I don't care if they're missing shots from the floor when they get fouled as long as they hit the free throws that follow. Points are points.

Knox will not play double digit minutes against a full D1 schedule, especially once Cam Spencer gets back.

for all the minutes holmen-edwards-knox played they went a combined 2-10 on shooting with several turnovers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

for all the minutes holmen-edwards-knox played they went a combined 2-10 on shooting with several turnovers.

Easier to read this time?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, in 34 combined minutes, the trio had two total turnovers.

English may not be my first language, but I think "several" requires at least three to be an appropriate word choice.

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

not counting passes not caught, mr expert

EDIT: Not worth continuing this. Words mean things. Don't say "turnovers" if you don't mean turnovers.

Especially when they'd still be turnovers if we lost possession.

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 1