Conference Expansion

MCMLXXX

I know we're suppose to save re-alignment threads for the off season, but the only way this impacts UNT is if Houston jumps. There has to be a hole in CUSA-West for UNT to have shot.

If TCU jumps, that leaves a hole in the MWC. If the MWC wanted to maintain a Texas presence, they would need to add Houston, SMU, UTEP, or North Texas. If the MWC added someone else besides UNT, that would still leave a hole in C-USA West. So, in a way, it's doubly relevant if TCU jumps.

"But sources at the league office confirmed there is concern the football members might be considering breaking away."

If the non-football schools try and block expansion this would be an option for the football schools. With eight football members they could go to either 9, 10, or 12 in expansion.

The Big East taking TCU and Houston would be ideal for NT, offering openings in the MWC and CUSA-West. :)

"But sources at the league office confirmed there is concern the football members might be considering breaking away."

If the non-football schools try and block expansion this would be an option for the football schools. With eight football members they could go to either 9, 10, or 12 in expansion.

The Big East taking TCU and Houston would be ideal for NT, offering openings in the MWC and CUSA-West. :)

Thats what I would like to see.

People here have a an obsession with CUSA, its better than what we have now but I would choose the MWC over CUSA any day, and would actually prefer to be in the MWC.

Thats what I would like to see.

People here have a an obsession with CUSA, its better than what we have now but I would choose the MWC over CUSA any day, and would actually prefer to be in the MWC.

Old MWC, yes. New MWC, not so sure...I might prefer the basketball competition and closer geographic schools to more or less a rebranded WAC (TCU, Utah and BYU all gone from MWC)

I think we need to stop thinking about what conference we want to be in and think more in terms of the schools with whom we want to be aligned. WAC now is a barely a shadow of what it was. Mountain West without TCU has a worse geographic alignment for NT than the Belt. CUSA without Houston, Memphis and East Carolina is still better than the Belt, but not vastly so.

I want to be in a conference with FBS schools mostly from Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas that are close enough to drive to most of the games. I really don't care what that conference is called.

Old MWC, yes. New MWC, not so sure...I might prefer the basketball competition and closer geographic schools to more or less a rebranded WAC (TCU, Utah and BYU all gone from MWC)

Assuming Houston and UCF are gone from CUSA, ECU is the only notable football program left.

MWC would have:

Bosie st.

Navada

Fresno st.

Air Force

all borderline/potential top 25 programs

I would still pic the MWC over CUSA

MWC = long distance relationship?

That would be a heck of a load on our travel budget. we are so starry eyed and gaga over perception that we are blowing off some incredibly fun road trips the Belt provides.

I don't miss those west coast games at all.

I agree that the SBC has fun trips to Miami, but the MWC has stops in San Diego, Las Vegas, Reno, Albuquerque, and Colorado. Each of those stops can be reached rather cheaply via Southwest Airlines. Plus, the additional money and interest would be substantial in the MWC. It wouldn't be Big West Part II, like the WAC would have been. It really doesn't matter, though. The MWC ain't inviting us to the party anytime to soon. UTEP has history with those teams and a big market that revolves around the university and UH has everything that we could offer in a market, but with more tradition, support, and resources. They would each get a call before we would, as would SMU. If we can get into CUSA, though, your southeastern road trips would still be intact, so that would be good, too!!

MWC = long distance relationship?

That would be a heck of a load on our travel budget. we are so starry eyed and gaga over perception that we are blowing off some incredibly fun road trips the Belt provides.

I don't miss those west coast games at all.

maybe, but it worked out for TCU pretty well. Give up those conveniences to be ranked #3 in the country, which they would have if they stayed in CUSA? You bet.

• Upvote 1

maybe, but it worked out for TCU pretty well. Give up those conveniences to be ranked #3 in the country, which they would have if they stayed in CUSA? You bet.

TCU is using their limited MWC time and success to obtain a potential Big East (BCS auto bowl) invite. It, conference membership, must be seen as steps to the next level, not a forever membership until you get to the top. NT has been in the SunBelt long enough, time for us to move on and up. Steps.

EXERPT

Based on those results, the BIG EAST presidents agreed that the interests of each of the conference’s 16 member institutions would be served by increasing the number of Bowl Subdivision football-playing members to 10.

Big East approves expansion

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Article/215208/BIG-EAST-Approves-Process-To-Evaluate-Terms-and-Conditions-For-Expansion.aspx

Edited by MeanGreen61

EXERPT

Based on those results, the BIG EAST presidents agreed that the interests of each of the conference’s 16 member institutions would be served by increasing the number of Bowl Subdivision football-playing members to 10.

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Article/215208/BIG-EAST-Approves-Process-To-Evaluate-Terms-and-Conditions-For-Expansion.aspx

So, the Big East will be expanding from 8 to 10 football members, and 16 to 18 total members. I assume these new football schools will be all-sports members too?

Candidates previously mentioned included TCU, Houston, UCF, Temple, and Villanova. Villanova is going thru a self-eval to see if they want to move from FCS to FBS. I expect the basketball schools to push for the better basketball schools, and football for football.

Expansion geography is also important. UCF would help USF. I can't really see them inviting TCU without a travel partner and bridge in Houston. That would also bring new recruiting and media markets as mentioned in the opening article.

EXERPT

Based on those results, the BIG EAST presidents agreed that the interests of each of the conferences 16 member institutions would be served by increasing the number of Bowl Subdivision football-playing members to 10.

If they follow through on that then that would probably eliminate Houston. It looks as if the Big East is leaning toward TCU and UCF at the moment (if they only are considering ten).

That could change if Villanova decided to pursue FBS football. They have been virtually guaranteed a slot if they want it. That might give UCF a slight edge over TCU because of location, market and size.

Edited by GrayEagle

If TCU goes to the Big East in football only, should the SBC be proactive and invite them in all other Sports to replace Denver?

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/31649/top-candidates-for-big-east-expansion

I would think that would depend on whether TCU wants to grow basketball or baseball. They've got quite a baseball program going out there in Ft. Worth with one of the best pitchers in the country, but as we all know, the money's in basketball. Ergo, I think they'd probably go all Big East.

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it, the Mountain West is just crap for baseball, but TCU's made it work anyway. I say they go all Big East and just dominate the crap out of that conference in the spring.

Edited by oldguystudent

I vote that we stay in the belt. At least in the belt we have a chance of winning with the annual pillow fight with WKU. On the other hand, we are already getting our asses kicked, so it wouldn't really be that bad to go to another conference and get our asses kicked, too. However, in the belt, our losses are close and we have hope to actually win a few games with a new coach and a couple of years under his/her belt. I think the belt is the place for us now. Let's win and then consider moving.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2