Canales After The Game

emmitt01

I like Leavitt too, but if Canales can run the table on the remainder of the Sun Belt, and play close with Kansas State, will we still need Leavitt?

the answer is NO...canales will have earned the position in my opinion....but I don't see this happening...don't have the QB for it...RD almost gave this game away with interceptions that were just dropped...so , will RD kill off Canales chance at HC ?

if something kills his chances, it won't be the qb's play.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised that you're leaving out one thing: passion. Canales may have it; he seems to have decided that he most definitely wants THIS head coaching job. The others that have been mentioned seem to want A head coaching job, somewhere. Sir, never discount the impact of mental attitude and a certain intangible called drive.

UNT in my almost 50 years of following NCAA football would be the first school in my memory data base to hire a new HFC from a football program that has had 6 losing seasons in a row--also counting DD's last 2 years. I just don't think the SBC of 2010 is a good barometer to use as who we need to have around here for the next 5 years.

But.........as I posted above, if he leads the way in beating the Kansas State Wildcats then hand him over our HFC's job on that silver platter, but I probably should also add if we also get those almost 24,000 fans back that we had at the Rice game for the Troy game at Fouts, then people would truly be excited about all this again--if just 12K to 15K show for Troy, then those low attendance numbers bear looking at or study as we think about marketing a new stadium, circa Fall, 2011. Yet if Coach C and team were to beat KSU, get him hired and give him a pretty good 5 year package deal with similar money we would have hired a "name" coach because why? (next paragraph)

We will need our new head football coach to excite the entire UNT community fan base, especially the borderline/casual day of game ticket buyer type fans--not one who merely excites the posters of www.GoMeanGreen.com since we represent a very small & quick blip on the overall radar screen and we know another SBC loss or 2 will create on this forum yet another Roman mob'esque type mood swing or giant tsunami to someone else besides Canales (and why again on that)--because we've seen all this before, now haven't we?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm trying really, really hard not to laugh. The team played well today and Coach Canales deserves some credit, but let's take a step back here and look at the big picture. Our "big" win came against a team that's won what...two, three games in the last three years? Before we go anointing Canales as our savior lets put this into the proper perspective. I don't want to take anything away from Canales because I like him and I want him to be our OC next year, but let's not forget he learned a lot of what he knows from Jim Leavitt. Canales is a passionate guy? Well, Leavitt is even more passionate. Let's not be so easily appeased. It takes an entire staff of good coaches to be successful year in and year out. Let's not settle for good when we can have great. Do we still need Leavitt - are you kidding me?? We'd be absolutely crazy to not hire Leavitt if he's willing to take on the challenge of being our head coach.

I'm trying really, really hard not to laugh. The team played well today and Coach Canales deserves some credit, but let's take a step back here and look at the big picture. Our "big" win came against a team that's won what...two, three games in the last three years? Before we go anointing Canales as our savior lets put this into the proper perspective. I don't want to take anything away from Canales because I like him and I want him to be our OC next year, but let's not forget he learned a lot of what he knows from Jim Leavitt. Canales is a passionate guy? Well, Leavitt is even more passionate. Let's not be so easily appeased. It takes an entire staff of good coaches to be successful year in and year out. Let's not settle for good when we can have great. Do we still need Leavitt - are you kidding me?? We'd be absolutely crazy to not hire Leavitt if he's willing to take on the challenge of being our head coach.

Have to agree with this.

WKU is 1-7. Riley was back at QB instead of Baine; nothing against Baine he just needs more experience. A couple other players were back that we didn't have against FIU.

I love Canales' passion and his ability to motivate players but lets cool the jets on naming him HC until we see how the rest of the season turns out and who the other candidates are. I know I would keep Canales over the Prairie View coach or some OU assistant.

One last thing...the best compliment from the WKU broadcasters on the webcast: "WKU needs to stop scheduling UNT for the homecoming games." :D

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

What assistant coach doesn't learn from a HC? Fry/Snyder......Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Don't we play K-State the last game of the season against Coach Snyder?

Some HC's are harbingers for their assistants.

Edited by eulesseagle

You are blaming Riley for Canales potentially not getting the job? Wow. Wow.

wow.

jesus.

UNT dropped 3 interceptions too. It happens. Riley had a solid game. It isn't an accident that our running game started working when they had to respect the QB.

I am saying, if RD turns the ball over several times in the next SBC games, we could lose those games for that reason....if we lose the SBC games, then Canales is not likely to have much of a shot at the job....that is exactly what I am saying....RD's turnovers = lost games...lost games=hire different HC.....much like what happened last year. In the end, the W/L record is what counts, for the most part!

Edited by houstonmeangreen
  • Downvote 3

At least it won't be Riley's play.... Now if Riley goes down again??

i don't think the 3rd or 4th string qb's play should count against him. if he can get wins out of a team with all these injuries, then he should get credit, but he shouldn't be blamed for losing games with such a beaten up team.

he's in a good spot right now....wins will help his chances of getting the hc spot, but losses shouldn't hurt his chances in my opinion. unless, the losses are directly because of his decisions.

I'm surprised that you're leaving out one thing: passion. Canales may have it; he seems to have decided that he most definitely wants THIS head coaching job. The others that have been mentioned seem to want A head coaching job, somewhere. Sir, never discount the impact of mental attitude and a certain intangible called drive.

It is not hard to believe that our most times every year win over WKU would cause this groundwell of support from about 10 or so people on GMG.com, not couning all the extra new posters who were obviously asked "from certain quarters" to come on this board and hype a certain UNT assistant coach. Yet no matter how you slice it or spin it all this is still coming from a football program with a 6 year losing streak; also, an assistant that no matter how you spin him still has no "successful" FBS head football coaching experienc; and still has no record of where he's been in his past (even as an assistant) which caused a run on ticket sales from the masses or the selling of luxury suites. This is the formula North Texas powers that be know they have to meet to satisfy the masses (and for them to do some selling themselves).

Passion? Don't most coaches (head football coaches and assistants) at the FBS level have passion? If they don't, they'd probably be selling insurance somewhere in the USA. We don't need a cheerleader, we need someone who has prior experience of success way beyond the Sun Belt Conference level. The SBC will not cut the mustard for most UNT alums--ask them what they hear in the DFW workplace about our membership in the SBC. We hear, "if North Texas could just get in another conference" but that subject is for another thread when we run out of other things to speculate about. :unsure:

North Texas officials will most likely defer to the the HFC recommendation of Chuck Neinas who we are (once again) paying a nice sum to give us that recommendation. I just don't think at least 2 of these 3 (Neinas, our Prez & AD) are thinking in terms of looking within the the Denton, Texas, City Limits to make our next hire and I think most on this board would concur with that and have with their posts. If we hire from within, then we need to get some of that consultant money back from Neinas IMO. :blink::) (Still, if Coach C beats Kansas State--then Neinas can be taken off his job immediately and just pro-rate pay him IMHO)

Still.......most on this board want a name coach and to quote Greggo' Williams of The Fan (again) "I've got twenty dollars" that still says that will happen once all this overnight hoopla of a win over lowly WKU dies down. The only head turner for Canales will not come from a weak 2010 Sun Belt Conference (hellsbells, ULM just beat Troy for heaven's sake) ;) but if Coach Canales led the way in beating Kansas State then I'd say...........hire him on the spot-- but most of us on GMG.com are also realist about such things as that happening, too. (Remember, with a healty Mean Green football team we still got beat by Rice U at our place and are they still sitting on 2 wins this season)? :(

Bottom Line Still Is: Rick V knows he needs to sell tickets to thousands of UNT alums who haven't been to games in years. (We still only had about 24,000 for our home season opener). Rick also knows he needs to make people think that his 2'nd HFC hire means North Texas is really serious about going up to the next level (which the new football stadium has already created that whether UNT wanted that added to its plate or not) plus......

........Rick V needs a pretty strong stimulator of an interest maker among our masses (not just this board) to sell the remaining luxury suites, too. So with all this in mind, our AD has more to think about than just a couple more SBC wins and if he truly wants to turn this program over to an assistant coach from a perennially losing football staff because we would then become the first in the modern NCAA history to do that, too. Yet I think Rick V will still want to hire the "complete package kind of hire" for him to fulfill all his other needs as North Texas A.D. most of which surround the grand opening of the new Mean Green Stadium at the Mean Green Village.

We on GMG.com have the easy part of all this because all we ever do is still just speculate. Villarreal's eventual job performance could be evaluated with a more scrutinizing eye if he hires the wrong person. This hire will have a large semblance of zero tolerance toward getting the wrong man again.

I would guess Rick V is probably more in ling with thinking the one he does hire will prove to the general consensus of North Texas Exes/Mean Green fans that our school is truly serious about its football program as to go outside the box for a change and maybe even take Norm Hitzhges suggestion on DFW Metroplex radio:

"Why not North Texas being the next Boise?"

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

An 0-12 WKU team rang up 49 points against UNT at Fouts last year.

A 2-10 provisional WKU rang up 40 points against UNT at home in 2008 and lost on a last second pick-6 by Tobe in the waning seconds. That game could easily have been 47-44 in favor of WKU.

An FCS WKU lost to UNT at Fouts by 1 point in 2007.

Apologists gonna apologize, but in spite of the 4-0 record, it's not like WKU has a history of scoring only 6 points and offering no resistance whatsoever. This was a solid win. Period.

• Upvote 3

An 0-12 WKU team rang up 49 points against UNT at Fouts last year.

A 2-10 provisional WKU rang up 40 points against UNT at home in 2008 and lost on a last second pick-6 by Tobe in the waning seconds. That game could easily have been 47-44 in favor of WKU.

An FCS WKU lost to UNT at Fouts by 1 point in 2007.

Apologists gonna apologize, but in spite of the 4-0 record, it's not like WKU has a history of scoring only 6 points and offering no resistance whatsoever. This was a solid win. Period.

At which point does beating a school that will most likely finish in last place in an already lightly regarded Sun Belt Conference become a solid win? I would just call it a win, myself and I know many on this board who feel just like me. These are the progressives I speak of who want more than Bottom 25 SBC football champions. Hell, most of them are not even on this board and if they are they rarely post but have PM'ed me how amused they were with all the "small time thinkers" we have as alums. I can only tell them that that is all they know because that is all they've had.

Now give me red, I am catching up with the one I have a personal contest with to get the most red and a nice reward will go to the winner.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

i don't think the 3rd or 4th string qb's play should count against him. if he can get wins out of a team with all these injuries, then he should get credit, but he shouldn't be blamed for losing games with such a beaten up team.

he's in a good spot right now....wins will help his chances of getting the hc spot, but losses shouldn't hurt his chances in my opinion. unless, the losses are directly because of his decisions.

That's like the greatest job ever!! Sign me up.

I think we should all hold off on the coronation (including you, RV) until an exhaustive search has been completed and top candidates have been interviewed.

Thus was a great game. But it was only 1 game. This thing could fall apart again next week. I know wins around here don't come often, but let's keep it in a little bit of perspective, shall we?

At which point does beating a school that will most likely finish in last place in an already lightly regarded Sun Belt Conference become a solid win? I would just call it a win, myself and I know many on this board who feel just like me. These are the progressives I speak of who want more than Bottom 25 SBC football champions. Hell, most of them are not even on this board and if they are they rarely post but have PM'ed me how amused they were with all the "small time thinkers" we have as alums. I can only tell them that that is all they know because that is all they've had.

Now give me red, I am catching up with the one I have a personal contest with to get the most red and a nice reward will go to the winner.

GMG!

Are you really a UNT Fan? Why waste your time getting on the boards to just be negative? I really dont get it. We Won! After all that has happened this season, 15 Injuries, Teammate Passing Away, HC getting fired. And these kids still went to WKU on their Homecoming, a week after putting 50+ Points on a Conference Foe and put up 400+ Yards Total offense, Defense allowed only 2 FG's, and we had 0 Turnovers.

You really want to find negative after all of that.

PlumMeanGreen You are in need of a Hug or something my friend....

• Upvote 1

Are you really a UNT Fan? Why waste your time getting on the boards to just be negative? I really dont get it. We Won! After all that has happened this season, 15 Injuries, Teammate Passing Away, HC getting fired. And these kids still went to WKU on their Homecoming, a week after putting 50+ Points on a Conference Foe and put up 400+ Yards Total offense, Defense allowed only 2 FG's, and we had 0 Turnovers.

You really want to find negative after all of that.

PlumMeanGreen You are in need of a Hug or something my friend....

Yes, I do believe I have a 30 plus year history of being a Mean Green fan. Are you with 3 posts a Mean Green fan? Are or you just another new propagandist on this board plugging your agenda? When you get close to a 1,000 post (give or take 500) I may then think you have some interest in the long term success of this football program.

I was a student during what still remains to many of us the golden era of North Texas football when we had wins that brought us national attention and even a Top 20 ranking. We just didnt' have a conference that had a bowl back then. We also didn't have enough years of that kind of success to suit us who were around during that period of time, but once you've seen that kind of success not matter how short-lived, nothing like what we've had of late (about 30 years of it) will ever suffice. Is that negative? I know many posters on this board who would say it is not at all and that they, too, feel the same way. Is wanting positive results at a higher level than Bottom 25 being negative? Well? :unsure:

Actually, you sound like a liberal who thinks anyone who doesn't agree with them is negative. Well, look where that kind of national philosophy is headed by all us "negative" Americans and all that will begin this Tuesday at a voting center near you.

GMG!

Go USA! (Lets get back to the basics of capitalistic life) :o

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

GMG!

I haven't done any research on the WKU team to know how really strong (I know, a very relative term) they are/were compared to us. What happened to them in the week AFTER they scored 50+ points on ULL? Did ULL collapsed after playing us? Did WKU spend this last week drinking and partying?

What I have observed is that our current team (injury riddled as it has been) has been a dumb mistake (or two or twelve) away from winning most of their games. Everyone here seems to think that the dumb mistakes and/or lack of focus is indicative of how the team is being coached. Now (for this game anyway) they seemed to have finally focused.

This should not have happened when a team has just lost it's head coach.

I guess we'll get a more clear indication of how focused (or re-focused) the team is when Troy comes into town next week.

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

Yes, I do believe I have a 30 plus year history of being a Mean Green fan.

Duly noted in some county record office. Never in my life have I seen so much emphasis placed on date of birth and college attendance when establishing the pecking order as I do around here.

Are you with 3 posts a Mean Green fan? Are or you just another new propagandist on this board plugging your agenda? When you get close to a 1,000 post (give or take 500) I may then think you have some interest in the long term success of this football program.

Well looky there. Closing in on 1300.

I was a student during what still remains to many of us the golden era of North Texas football when we had wins that brought us national attention and even a Top 20 ranking.

That makes me quite happy for you.

We just didnt' have a conference that had a bowl back then.

Because now, the New Orleans bowl is a premier showcase of athletic prowess.

We also didn't have enough years of that kind of success to suit us who were around during that period of time, but once you've seen that kind of success not matter how short-lived, nothing like what we've had of late (about 30 years of it) will ever suffice.

What does suffice? Top 50? Top 25? BCS national champions? There's a long ways to go before reaching any of those lofty expectations, so lets appreciate the small successes on the way.

Is that negative? I know many posters on this board who would say it is not at all and that they, too, feel the same way. Is wanting positive results at a higher level than Bottom 25 being negative? Well? :unsure:

Sorry that UNT only beat up a crappy WKU this weekend. I called, but Oregon and TCU had already made other plans.

Actually, you sound like a liberal who thinks anyone who doesn't agree with them is negative. Well, look where that kind of national philosophy is headed by all us "negative" Americans and all that will begin this Tuesday at a voting center near you.

GMG!

Go USA! (Lets get back to the basics of capitalistic life) :o

How's the conservative capitalist agenda going over at the Eagle's Nest where it belongs?

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

I would take Tune as qb over RD any day.

So would the coaches. That's why they named Tune the starter before the season and let him play until he got hurt. Congrats on this zany opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2