Canales After The Game

emmitt01

Some things I noticed:

Was he crying? If so, that shows a lot of care.

He said, in no uncertain terms, "Lance Dunbar is the best running back in the Sun Belt conference." That kind of unequivocal statement shows how he feels about these players. Most coaches would stick to "coach speak".

Gave credit to Riley for toughing it out. I agree.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Some things I noticed:

Was he crying? If so, that shows a lot of care.

He said, in no uncertain terms, "Lance Dunbar is the best running back in the Sun Belt conference." That kind of unequivocal statement shows how he feels about these players. Most coaches would stick to "coach speak".

Gave credit to Riley for toughing it out. I agree.

I believe he was crying, just before he went on the air.

I'm excited for Coach Chico to carry us the rest of the season. His passion is already transferring to the players and good things are happening. Next week is a huge test with Troy. Let's all get out to Fouts to support this TEAM!!!!!!

Congrats Mean Green on a very well played and coached football game today.

He's a very passionate guy. I don't think RV is in a hurry to name a HC , because Chico deserves the chance to at least show what he can do

I met Coach Canales before the Army game, and really enjoyed talking to him. He seems like a great guy...VERY passionate about NT and football...and I believe he definitely deserves a shot to be our next HC at NT.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

• Upvote 1

I believe he was crying, just before he went on the air.

tears of joy for UNT and his players.....I like it...like RV (and myself), we all get very emotional when it comes to the Meangreen and our passion for these young men and NT....I like the emotion and his heart....I hope he gets a fair shot at the HC opening....personally, I think he would be great (at least in some role)...I guess we will see what happens in the remaining games.

I wonder what RV thinks?

Canales openly says he wants to be the head coach of North Texas next year. This was the best I've seen us play since 2004. Troy is coming to town next Saturday. If Canales can put together a gameplan and beat Troy, RV will have a hard time not placing Canales at the top of his list.

I like Leavitt too, but if Canales can run the table on the remainder of the Sun Belt, and play close with Kansas State, will we still need Leavitt?

Canales openly says he wants to be the head coach of North Texas next year. This was the best I've seen us play since 2004. Troy is coming to town next Saturday. If Canales can put together a gameplan and beat Troy, RV will have a hard time not placing Canales at the top of his list.

I like Leavitt too, but if Canales can run the table on the remainder of the Sun Belt, and play close with Kansas State, will we still need Leavitt?

With that scenario, I personally don't think so. I mean, even the most skeptical about Canales have set the bar at 3 wins to put Canales in the "can't ignore" category. If he wins 4 out of 5, any of the other candidates would have to make a stronger case than their surrogates have so far, especially if they haven't shown us any particular reason to think they know and care about North Texas.

You're joking, right? Of course we still need Leavitt. He took the USF program from NOTHING to a BCS conference in a decade with less than we we have now in a state just like TExas football wise. IF we don't hire Leavitt, I'd be all for hiring Canales. If both were still employed at USF, or Leavitt was still at USF, a coordinator from Boise or USF is who we should be targeting, ie Canales. But since Leavitt is available, we should go for him. I would think Leavitt would keep Canales.

I would also think Leavitt and Canales like each other, since Jim hired him twice. But they don't have to like each other as long as they work well together.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

If Coach Canales does that, I would definitely hope he becomes the frontrunner. But I really don't think he beats Troy. Regardless, if he can get 3 wins out of this team in the 5 games he coaches, he will have accomplished something I'm not sure any other coach could do under the circumstances.

4 wins = frontrunner for the HC job.

3 wins = solid candidate.

2 wins = somewhere in the mix.

1 win = we can definitely do better with another hire.

• Upvote 1

If Coach Canales does that, I would definitely hope he becomes the frontrunner. But I really don't think he beats Troy. Regardless, if he can get 3 wins out of this team in the 5 games he coaches, he will have accomplished something I'm not sure any other coach could do under the circumstances.

4 wins = frontrunner for the HC job.

3 wins = solid candidate.

2 wins = somewhere in the mix.

1 win = we can definitely do better with another hire.

If he somehow beats Troy, Middle & K state I will be pissed if he doesn't get the job !

• Upvote 4

the answer is NO...canales will have earned the position in my opinion....but I don't see this happening...don't have the QB for it...RD almost gave this game away with interceptions that were just dropped...so , will RD kill off Canales chance at HC ?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

First of all, congrats To Coach C and team for their win over WKU.

Yet I hope beating any team from a very lightly regarded 2010 Sun Belt Conference does not become our barometer for anyone on this present staff or beyond to become UNT's HFC, including DeLoach who I think if we look at others of our present staff he should be included, too and why not; after all, his defense did quite well today, right? (Where are all the DeLoach supporters from years past anyhow)?

If Coach Canales leads this team to beat the Kansas State Wildcats, I say hand him over this job on a silver platter and get him ready for the dry roast beef and english peas dinner circuit speaking to UNT alums all over Texas; but if some continue to think SBC success "year in and year out" will get us any higher ranking or get us up to the level of the Boise's of the NCAA world, then I think most any objective bystander (not to be found on this forum) would tell all of us on GMG.com to wake up and smell the coffee. Then they might also ask us: Why did yall waste all that money on a new stadium--just to be SBC football champions without being anywhere close to a Top 25 ranking? :unsure: Just my .02 and I happen to know many, many others who feel just about the same and have for decades with their upwardly bound attitudes for Mean Green football.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

the answer is NO...canales will have earned the position in my opinion....but I don't see this happening...don't have the QB for it...RD almost gave this game away with interceptions that were just dropped...so , will RD kill off Canales chance at HC ?

You are blaming Riley for Canales potentially not getting the job? Wow. Wow.

wow.

jesus.

UNT dropped 3 interceptions too. It happens. Riley had a solid game. It isn't an accident that our running game started working when they had to respect the QB.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 3

First of all, congrats To Coach C and team for their win over WKU.

Yet I hope beating any team from a very lightly regarded 2010 Sun Belt Conference does not become our barometer for anyone on this present staff to become UNT's HFC, including DeLoach who I think if we look at others of our present staff he should be included, too and why not; after all, his defense did quite well today, right? Where are all the DeLoach supporters from years past anyhow?

If Coach Canales leads this team to beat the Kansas State Wildcats, I say hand him over this job on a silver platter and get him ready for the dry roast beef and english peas dinner circuit speaking to UNT alums all over Texas; but if some continue to think SBC success "year in and year out" will get us any higher ranking or get us up to the level of the Boise's of the NCAA world, then I think most any objective bystander (not to be found on this forum) would tell all of us on GMG.com to wake up and smell the coffee. Then they might also ask us: Why did yall waste all that money on a new stadium--just to be SBC football champions without being anywhere close to a Top 25 ranking? Just my .02 and I happen to know others who feel just about the same way and have for decades.

GMG!

I'm surprised that you're leaving out one thing: passion. Canales may have it; he seems to have decided that he most definitely wants THIS head coaching job. The others that have been mentioned seem to want A head coaching job, somewhere. Sir, never discount the impact of mental attitude and a certain intangible called drive.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2