Like The Way Unt Prez Lane Rawlins Talks

MeanGreen61

From the UNT Yahoo team report.

Quote To Note: “We think that we can talk to coaches in that top echelon. If you don’t aim high, you will never get there.”—Lane Rawlins, North Texas president, to the Denton Record-Chronicle.

To me this says we'll go after a former head coach name guy instead of a coordinator. At least I hope that's what he is saying. :)

Quote To Note: "We think that we can talk to coaches in that top echelon. If you don't aim high, you will never get there."—Lane Rawlins, North Texas president, to the Denton Record-Chronicle.

Why don't save the thousands that we will pay the "national search firm" and make Lane official. I have liked everything about this guy and I think he would be a great President for us!

Why don't save the thousands that we will pay the "national search firm" and make Lane official. I have liked everything about this guy and I think he would be a great President for us!

Rawlins was responsible for hiring basketball coach John Calipari when he was at Memphis.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

Since I don't particularly like basketball. Nor do I keep up with it to any noticable extent. That reference means nothing to me.

:cry:

You should come watch a basketball game this year. I'll bring baklava. I'll buy you a Scrappy Burger. It's fun times for the whole family.

I too would like to keep Rawlins. He has not acted like a interim appointment at critical times for the University on many fronts.

However, I think he took this job on as a temporary assignment, and he wouldn't mind going back to a life without the daily stresses of an active university president.

Since I don't particularly like basketball. Nor do I keep up with it to any noticable extent. That reference means nothing to me.

Well, Calipari has been spectacularly successful and has coached some of the most controversial and sanctioned teams in NCAA hoops history (although the NCAA has pointed out that he himself has not been "indicted"). Perhaps we should see Calipari as a study in whether getting the wins in enough. I still think Rawlins is justifiable in his pride in that hire, but wonder why the problems (seemingly caused by the players, but in one case resulting from a test score that wasn't known by anyone until the season was well underway) seemed to follow Calipari. In the universe of college basketball, he's probably found his perfect place at Kentucky.

I think a fairly thorough reading of Rawlins tenure at Washington State shows great interest by Rawlins in their football program, but the one hire made while he was there, Bill Doba, was considered pretty much a slam dunk internal hire, with Rawlins basically approving the process without being too involved, except as an enthusiastic supporter of WSU football. After he left, the next President was nowhere near as supportive, and Doba, who only had one winning season (his first, with Mike Prices recruits), and on at 6-6. Doba was fired after going 30-29 in five seasons, replaced by Paul Wulff, who, is 4-28 midway through his third season, and may provide us some (small) comfort in achieving a lower winning percentage over 3 years than Todd Dodge before he's done, probably at the end of this season.

One lesson I think in all this is, and I think Rawlins has been pointing this out, is that we need to get this right; for one thing, he probably wants to retire before too long, and for another, we really need to change our overall level of support. And, we'd better pray that the next President has the interest and knowledge in sports that Rawlins does.

Talk is cheap. Whenever I here that Leach has been contacted, then I will get excited.

What did you expect him to say, "we are only interested in second level coaches?"

It's all media relations until we have interview confirmations.

I wouldn't look for too many "interview confirmations." If someone isn't hired, they don't want it to come out they were interested and the university doesn't want to get into a bidding war for anyone they want. There will be lots and lots of rumors with few confirmations.

I really do wish we could get more confirmations.

I wouldn't look for too many "interview confirmations." If someone isn't hired, they don't want it to come out they were interested and the university doesn't want to get into a bidding war for anyone they want. There will be lots and lots of rumors with few confirmations.

I really do wish we could get more confirmations.

Maybe GMG members should start dining at some of the nicer eating establishments in Denton over the next month.

He is not the interim president, he is the UNT president, but it is only for a year.

"On April 16, 2010, the University of North Texas System Board of Regents appointed V. Lane Rawlins as UNT's president for 2010-11. The appointment, effective May 14, is expected to run through summer 2011 as UNT conducts a national search for its next president. Rawlins succeeds Phil C. Diebel who became UNT's interim president following the resignation in February 2010 of President Gretchen M. Bataille."

V. Lane Rawlins bio...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V._Lane_Rawlins

Quote To Note: “We think that we can talk to coaches in that top echelon. If you don’t aim high, you will never get there.”—Lane Rawlins, North Texas president, to the Denton Record-Chronicle.

Has the ghost of Jitter Nolen entered into Lane Rawlins? (Wait a minute, let me check and see if ol' Jitter is no longer among us). :blink:

Amazing, we have this kind of president yet it is so North Texas'esque that we would have "interim" preceeding his title. Someone put interim on our chancellor's title and maybe his vision for UNT-Denton would magically increase (as we know it has from him for UNT-Dallas). UNT-Denton better figure out that if it ain't tied down at our main campus, ol' Lee will snatch it up and move it to Dallas. (Of course, I say that figuratively).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I also like the way president Rawlins is an athletics advocate/cheerleader, and I know that most of us on here love our Mean Green, but for me, I want the new president to be focused on getting UNT to Tier 1 status first and foremost. If that person is Pres. Rawlins, and he wants to stick around, then by all means, sign him up! If not, then we need to hire the most qualified person to get us to Tier 1. Hopefully that person is well-rounded enough to understand the role of athletics in building a University. We certainly know Rawlins is, with his "3 A's" approach (Academics, Arts, Athletics).

Has the ghost of Jitter Nolen entered into Lane Rawlins? (Wait a minute, let me check and see if ol' Jitter is no longer among us). :blink:

I think he's still up right. I found a listing of "Distinguished Honorary Alumni" and some on the list are listed and deceased and Jitter Nolen is shown as alive. It appears to be from the 2010 Alumni Awards.

I have my new signature.

I think he's still up right. I found a listing of "Distinguished Honorary Alumni" and some on the list are listed and deceased and Jitter Nolen is shown as alive. It appears to be from the 2010 Alumni Awards.

Long story and I cannot remmeber all the details now, but Jitter got railroaded out of Denton with what I think amounted to legal action bluffs by a couple of our BOR's. Oh well.....

GMG!