New North Texas Head Coach Poll

Harry

Hootenhappylavender... I forgot to mention that Fran's A&M teams beat Texas his last 2 seasons coaching there. Anyway...Bower is a good coach, but I've heard nothing to indicate he is interested in coaching here... Fran interviewed the last time around, so I'd expect him to interview again... RV may like Bower, but I don't think the search firm will select him as the best option for North Texas. Just my opinion.

Fran interviewed in 2006? when he was still at A&M?

Fran might have interviewed at NT. Back in 1991, there was word that he wanted our job, but we gave it to our first of two high school coach experiments, Dennis Parker. I think, at the time....Fran was head coach at a small school in Kansas (Pittsburgh State?). Anyway, not sure if he interviewed back then.....but he definitely wanted to.

Does anyone really think Leach is even a remote option? Forget about the money aspect, RV couldn't control Dickey; can you imagine Leach here? It would be fun and I think he would win but highly unlikely. . Out of that group, I would go with Leavitt a proven program builder and to my knowledge never complained about USF lack of resources. Also his character questions seem to be small compared to Leach.

This is the most likely scenario. Leach won't come and we don't want him; Fran sucked at A&M where he had all the resources he wanted; Bower is retired and for good reason, his day in the sun was the 90s. Leavitt w/Canales sounds like a winning combination.

• Upvote 1

What are our chances of actually landing one of these candidates??? I would love to see Mike Leach or Dennis Franchione. But I still am not sure no matter how much we want one of these guys that they will not become head coach here. Unless we put up significant money for their salary....that is just me but I hope that I am wrong and one of these guys come to coach us next year!!

Leach won't be our guy, I just don't see him coming here.

Personally I'd love to see what a man like Fran can do here. Let's face it, we need a headcoach that has serious Texas ties and can recruit the hell out of this state. Fran can not only do that, but is the only realistic candidate that can bring in the kind of staff we need, one with experienced football coach's who know what they're doing. People can have their opinions on Fran but overall he's a coach who knows what needs to be done to win, and that's exactly what we need here. He's coached at multiple levels of college ball and turned around programs in each them, great examples include UNM and TCU, many others to choose from though.

This is funny, first time on the message boards. It doesn't surprise me that with people dense enough to think that Peterson would leave Boise to come to UNT, there are those who desperately want Jim Leavit to be the next coach. Really? The guy never won a championship with USF, not in C-USA or the Big Least. Honestly with the kind of talent they could recruit out of Florida to finish up middle of the pack every year is unimpressive to me. I can't imagine it was one incident with one player that got him fired. Seems to me that he didn't have the respect of his players (for whatever reason, kinda seems like a nut. who knows how he treated his players) or they would have played for him to their full potential and WON. I don't know who the next head coach should be, but some of the comments and ideas on here are just funny. We need a big name? For what!? we have great facilities, a brand new stadium, a talent rich state and a community that loves and cares about football. What UNT needs is a guy who can WIN! A coach that get the players to play for him. UNT needs a winner and I hope whoever they decide to hire can do just that.

Not to mention that people think they have real influence on here, haha that's why RV is where he is and people are on message boards arguing over something that they have zero control. I guess because it's entertaining. GO GREEN! beat MTSU

Harry, I recommend you suspend any creation of new members until after the new Head Coach is named, I think we have enough of Canales family on here already.

• Upvote 2

Not to mention that people think they have real influence on here, haha that's why RV is where he is and people are on message boards arguing over something that they have zero control. I guess because it's entertaining. GO GREEN! beat MTSU

Apparently you have missed RV's response posts on this fan message board. I'm sure he watches, because he actually posts here.

And, ya, you are a huge Mean Green fan. I can tell by your "GO GREEN" exclamation. Perhaps you should at least learn the proper phrase before jumping on here, don't ya think?

• Upvote 1

Changed my vote to Canales. I've seen enough. I believe we will win on Saturday, and a 3-1 Belt record meets my standards, and is enough evidence for me that Canales can have NT challenging for the Sun Belt title and a bowl game next season. I don't know if any of the other candidates could have pulled that off under these circumstances.

• Upvote 2

Still the majority of votes indicate that a known commodity HFC is head and shoulders above any other specific kind of coach for North Texas.

That part has not changed since the beginning of this poll, either.

I hope Neinas will help put an end to this smack board mob-esque intellect and non-sense very soon. It has been quite an educational experience and validates what some of us have known for too damn long about why we have not done much nationally or on a ranked basis for close to 40 years. We have met the enemy and the enemy is... ;)

GMG!

• Downvote 3