Full Neinas Report

Brett Vito

From Page 4 (a highlighted section):

The current UNT budget of $16,600,000 is fifth highest in the conference and is below the median of $17,800,000.

If we're the fifth highest, how are we below the median?

There are nine football programs. If we're 5th among those nine, we are the exact median (4 higher, 4 lower). If we're counting all 12 programs in the conference, then we're above the median (the arithmetic mean of the 6th and 7th highest budget programs).

If we're 5th, then we can't be below the median.

How much did we spend on this report again? :blink:

Wow that was really bad. My hope is that we chose Neinas in a political move to improve our chances of a CUSA invite. Otherwise what a complete and total waste of money. I am not prone to hyperbole but I could have compiled that in three hours for the price of two cups of coffee.

For crying out loud...

If this were turned in as a paper for either of the Freshman English composition classes at UNT... It MIGHT get a "C". If the instructor were grading quickly and lazily, and didn't notice the FACTUAL ERRORS.

Unreal. Maybe we can hire another firm to do some macaroni artwork so that the administration will have a 3rd voice encouraging more spending on Athletics.

For crying out loud...

If this were turned in as a paper for either of the Freshman English composition classes at UNT... It MIGHT get a "C". If the instructor were grading quickly and lazily, and didn't notice the FACTUAL ERRORS.

Unreal. Maybe we can hire another firm to do some macaroni artwork so that the administration will have a 3rd voice encouraging more spending on Athletics.

In even more disappointing news I've recently learned of a small chain of restaurants up here called "Two Boots"...the two boots representative of the cuisines of the Italian and Yucatan peninsulas...

I agree. I was expecting the key to problems of not being recognized as the athletic program I think we all want North Texas to be.

A couple of things I noticed;

His reference to "Green Village." Probably an oversight, but for a top dollar analysis paper, I think the proper name should be used.

I found the phrase, "Denton is 35 miles from Dallas, but Dallas is 200 miles from Denton" really interesting. There's something about Lake Lewisville. People from Dallas County seem timid about crossing.

I don't know what "There are no tombstones at North Texas" means.

I was simply expecting a lot more and to learn something I didn't already know.

No more injuries

GO MEAN GREEN

Two things.....

1.) The idea of targeting more of Denton County....I agree in that there are more than enough fans to buildup a fanbase that we haven't even touched. Start the billboards in Lewisville and stop short of Gainesville. Incorporating more of the team accomplishments on the billboard's empty space (or even a couple just for the teams) is a good idea...but one that we could think of on our own.

2.) How do I get that man's job??? I am gonna nuke my career counselor. I agree with the post above that this was a political move to get clout within the CUSA's decision makers circle.

Edited by All About UNT

Two things.....

1.) The idea of targeting more of Denton County....I agree in that there are more than enough fans to buildup a fanbase that we haven't even touched. Start the billboards in Lewisville and stop short of Gainesville. Incorporating more of the team accomplishments on the billboard's empty space (or even a couple just for the teams) is a good idea...but one that we could think of on our own.

2.) How do I get that man's job??? I am gonna nuke my career counselor. I agree with the post above that this was a political move to get clout within the CUSA's decision makers circle.

one last thing....UNT has done a decent job of utilizing Social Media but needs to step it up. Anyone that has UNT as their school on Facebook should be getting invites to groups revolving around the school and esp the athletics. There is no better way to communicate with people on an easy medium like that keeping them updated with Sporting Events...Watching Parties....etc. Offering a free-ride to an aspiring Social Media Marketer would be a fantastic way to have someone lead the charge in coordinating this and at a low cost.

For crying out loud...

Yeah, but we will have to provide the macaroni and manilla paper. The Elmer's glue is on their own dime, however!

From Page 4 (a highlighted section):

If we're the fifth highest, how are we below the median?

There are nine football programs. If we're 5th among those nine, we are the exact median (4 higher, 4 lower). If we're counting all 12 programs in the conference, then we're above the median (the arithmetic mean of the 6th and 7th highest budget programs).

If we're 5th, then we can't be below the median.

How much did we spend on this report again? :blink:

I guess they meant Mean? Not Median?

People misunderstand those all the time, or throw around math phrases they don't really know. I just had this conversation last week:

Me: Sounds interesting, give me a ball park estimate.

Vendor: Well, ORDER OF MAGNITUDE wise, $10,000.

Me: huh.gif

Vendor:...

Me: So it might be as much as $99,999? blink.gif

Vendor: No, thats not what I said...

Me: That is exactly what you said.

Vendor: Uh, what?

Me: Do you know what order of magnitude means? dry.gif

Vendor: Uh... sad.gif

At first I thought I hadn't downloaded the entire report.

On the positive side, things that we thought were true have been verified by a well-qualified, unbiased source. I really hope there was a lot in the verbal presentation that didn't make it into the written report. No, I hope there was a verbal presentation with material that didn't make it into the written report.

Very poorly done, however anyone expecting much in a written public report were very over optimistic. Hopefully, there was a lot more communicated than written.

I really expected at least a more upbeat puff piece, but this document is totally worthless. The only real recommendation, I saw in this report was to market more to the imediate Denton area instead of the broader DFW. Problem is that I don't see NT doing much of either. I guess his main point and you really have to search is to consistently win in the Belt and not worry about conference affiliation. I don't know why you would want a consultant to list published reported budgets and compare them on a chart. First, someone with his background should know that this numbers are very suspect and should at least provide some insight in to what these numbers actually mean.

I expected nothing but boiler plate and a few obvious recommendations and even on that basis, this report falls short.

Edited by GrandGreen