Houston Starting Quarterback Case Keenum Tears Acl

NT80

Houston lost 5th year senior QB Case Keenum to a season-ending ACL injury trying to tackle a UCLA defender on an interception Saturday. They also lost their backup QB to another injury for the season (very similar to UNT's rash of injuries to QBs).

Questions remain about if UH would apply for a 6th year for Keenum with a medical redshirt, or if he even wants one. How does this impact UNT? If he is granted a medical redshirt year (something UNT seems unable to ever get approved), he could then play in the opener at the new Mean Green Stadium. Otherwise, it means the backups including a true frosh are getting valuable experience they wouldn't have had by the time they play UNT next year.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/09/19/houston-loses-starting-backup-quarterbacks/

Edited by NT80

Jeff, that very good question is making me brain tired already here at 7:21 AM. :D

Seriously, Keenum would be nuts to come back to UH and risk further injury. As we all know, the NFL is wary of drafting injury-prone athletes although I think this was Keenum's first. I think we're all just sick that Derek Thompson will not have a full season under his belt.

Who knows, maybe our next QB at UNT is presently a Texas HS senior as it is. I think we have a nice new palatial home to show one, now don't we? :)

GMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Houston lost 5th year senior QB Case Keenum to a season-ending ACL injury trying to tackle a UCLA defender on an interception Saturday. They also lost their backup QB to another injury for the season (very similar to UNT's rash of injuries to QBs).

Questions remain about if UH would apply for a 6th year for Keenum with a medical redshirt, or if he even wants one. How does this impact UNT? If he is granted a medical redshirt year (something UNT seems unable to ever get approved), he could then play in the opener at the new Mean Green Stadium. Otherwise, it means the backups including a true frosh are getting valuable experience they wouldn't have had by the time they play UNT next year.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/09/19/houston-loses-starting-backup-quarterbacks/

With our without Case at QB, the opener against UH is a BIG mistake. Based on what we have returning and who they have returning, we are going to get our butts kicked in our new stadium opener. We really need to find a patsy to open this thing up with....and I mean a real patsy. Why can't we schedule Abilene Christian or somewhat like that. We have in the past with good results. Most people do not give a rats a.. who we play. They want to see the new stadium and they want to see a WIN.

• Upvote 2

Texas State.... ?? Long time rival (more games against them than anyone I think, I think NMSU is second). They are in state and would bring some fans, and are very large.. nearly 30,000. . Don't want a first game would that would be a blow-out against us and also wouldn't want to schedule an unknown either.

Absolutely nothing in a low divison such as ACU is.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

With our without Case at QB, the opener against UH is a BIG mistake. Based on what we have returning and who they have returning, we are going to get our butts kicked in our new stadium opener. We really need to find a patsy to open this thing up with....and I mean a real patsy. Why can't we schedule Abilene Christian or somewhat like that. We have in the past with good results. Most people do not give a rats a.. who we play. They want to see the new stadium and they want to see a WIN.

I agree 100%....bad choice for opener....will get reaction..new stadium...same old unt football....and after years of we suck...oh boy ! stupid by RV !

It amazes me at how much flack RV gets for scheduling UH at home to open the new stadium. We gripe and moan about how few in-state games we play. Not only do we get an in-state game against a very good program not named Texas, we get them at home to open up the new place. If we get rocked in our first game, it won't be the only time that will happen over the next few decades, I can assure you of that. But, if UH decides that they want to start a series with UNT because we asked them to play us in our stadium opener, then we will have "won" a much bigger deal than just the game. We need these games against other in-state schools, especially if we will never be in a conference with them. I just don't understand how beating Abilene Christian to open a new stadium will really help the situation. So, if we lose to UH the next game 72-0, that won't be as bad because we opened up our stadium with a win over a spare? Here's an even crazier thought: Let's hire someone who can actually get us ready to play a competitive game against UH in the home opener!! I know, I know, that's just ridiculous talk.

• Upvote 3

I think it is the fault of the strength and conditioning coordinator that Keenum tore his ACL and the backup broke his collarbone. I also think RV should be drawn and quartered for scheduling anyone but Paul Quinn College for the first game. Oh, and regarding the new stadium, the portals are too small, the north endzone looks ridiculous, the midfield logo is facing the wrong way and all of the $100.00 I find are wrinkled.

• Upvote 1

It amazes me at how much flack RV gets for scheduling UH at home to open the new stadium. We gripe and moan about how few in-state games we play. Not only do we get an in-state game against a very good program not named Texas, we get them at home to open up the new place. If we get rocked in our first game, it won't be the only time that will happen over the next few decades, I can assure you of that. But, if UH decides that they want to start a series with UNT because we asked them to play us in our stadium opener, then we will have "won" a much bigger deal than just the game. We need these games against other in-state schools, especially if we will never be in a conference with them. I just don't understand how beating Abilene Christian to open a new stadium will really help the situation. So, if we lose to UH the next game 72-0, that won't be as bad because we opened up our stadium with a win over a spare? Here's an even crazier thought: Let's hire someone who can actually get us ready to play a competitive game against UH in the home opener!! I know, I know, that's just ridiculous talk.

I like UH as the opener. Regional CUSA opponent that will bring some fans.

Houston, plus Rice, Smut, Tulsa, et al are the schools we want to become aligned with in a conference. We need them on our schedules to show them we have great attendance and soon a great new facility!

Good job by RV.

Edited by NT80

With or without Keenum...I don't anticipate a NT win next season. Frankly, I am expecting a complete ass whipping. That is unless some program snags away Kevin Sumlin and staff and we can capitalize on their new coach/system.

Jeez, should we even suit out and play the game? I saw a rag-tag bunch from North Texas play and beat the #20 ranked San Diego State Aztecs at Fouts Field many years ago. Never say never...

Anything is possible when your players come out of the tunnel like Sam Houston's army did when they raced along that swamp prairie near present day Houston and then they kicked Santa Anna's army's a$$ in about 15 minutes. By the way, the Battle of San Jacinto is one of the 10 Most Decisive Battles in World History. God Bless Texas!

GMG!

Jeez, should we even suit out and play the game? I saw a rag-tag bunch from North Texas play and beat the #20 ranked San Diego State Aztecs at Fouts Field many years ago. Never say never...

Anything is possible when your players come out of the tunnel like Sam Houston's army did when they raced along that swamp prairie near present day Houston and then they kicked Santa Anna's army's a$ in about 15 minutes. By the way, the Battle of San Jacinto is one of the 10 Most Decisive Battles in World History. God Bless Texas!

GMG!

I am just trying to be realistic. Yeah there's hope and you never know but I have been burned way too many times the last half decade or so. So that is why I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I'm not against playing Houston at home...just wish we had a game that seemed more winnable for the first one thats all.

so much of the grand opening is about creating a good feeling in fans to return and support the mg...getting your ass kicked by u of h in the first game is not the best idea and tlking about a win over a "spare" is outhere.....we are a horrible program and have been for most of the 35 yrs I have been folloeing the program...so I wouldn't assume us beating a 1aa program is written in stone...just look at our record...we barely beat wku , a provisioal 1a team. you don't want people, some who will be attending for the first time to leave with a neg attitude about unt football...it is bad enough as it is...sooooo sad.

so much of the grand opening is about creating a good feeling in fans to return and support the mg...getting your ass kicked by u of h in the first game is not the best idea and tlking about a win over a "spare" is outhere.....we are a horrible program and have been for most of the 35 yrs I have been folloeing the program...so I wouldn't assume us beating a 1aa program is written in stone...just look at our record...we barely beat wku , a provisioal 1a team. you don't want people, some who will be attending for the first time to leave with a neg attitude about unt football...it is bad enough as it is...sooooo sad.

We'll agree to disagree here, which is just fine. But, I will say this--if someone sees UH beat us 72-0 in our first game in the new stadium with a new coach and decides that they aren't coming back again because we suck and we never should have built a new stadium, I guess that will be the breaks we have to deal with. If we beat Nicholls State in the first home game in front of 28K by a score of 35-13 and that makes people want to come back the next week and we lose to UH 42-7, I just don't see how that creates anything. As a matter of fact, it seems like we want a fanbase made up of people who want to see us play UH than Nicholls State, no matter what the score will turn out to be. Again, I respect your thoughts on the topic, but I do look forward to seeing Cougar High come to town next September. To put it all another way, if we got a home again against Oklahoma instead of Houston, that would be awesome with me, even if they probably beat us by 8 TDs. Just playing OU at home would send a huge message to the rest of the area on what kind of program we finally have at UNT, especially with the new stadium. That is how I feel about playing UH instead of SFA or Sam Houston in an opener. We can get those games any day--we need these games against named regional opponents in Denton very badly right now.