President George W. Bush Coming To Speak At Unt

Regardless of your politics (granted I think most posters on this board lean to the right as is) this is awesome for UNT. Having a former President speak at our campus, regardless of approval ratings, helps in our quest for national recognition as a university, IMHO.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Regardless of your politics (granted I think most posters on this board lean to the right as is) this is awesome for UNT. Having a former President speak at our campus, regardless of approval ratings, helps in our quest for national recognition as a university, IMHO.

You mean like this presentation? http://web3.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=11361

I don't think any one speech will help us with national recognition, President Carter spoke here before. Where did President Bush speak last week? Last month? Last year? I don't know. It's not really that big of deal.

Edited by EagleGreen

You mean like this presentation? http://web3.unt.edu/...cfm?story=11361

I don't think any one speech will help us with national recognition, President Carter spoke here before. Where did President Bush speak last week? Last month? Last year? I don't know. It's not really that big of deal.

I tend to agree with you. If you ask me I wonder why we don't get more and more high profile people to come speak/tech at this university. It's all about paying up. While it is nice that Bush is going to speak here, I really don't think it is that big a deal.

so would everyone here also be so unhappy with Bill Clinton strolling onto campus with a freshly greased cigar in his mouth asking for $100k as well

As I said earlier...everyone has a price. It would be nice to get any president, dignitory, celebrity etc to come speak at this school but it has a price. I don't think it is a huge deal Bush speaking here nor would I think it is a big deal Clinton speaking here.

As I said earlier...everyone has a price. It would be nice to get any president, dignitory, celebrity etc to come speak at this school but it has a price. I don't think it is a huge deal Bush speaking here nor would I think it is a big deal Clinton speaking here.

My point exactly, I can not stand Clinton, but would love for him to come to campus for the exposure and if he charges $100k, $250k who cares it helps the University, can you imagine all the stories.

--- As far I know he has been back to Midland only once since being sworn into office..... to raise money....not to visit anyone... and he claims Midland is his hometown..... odd. His wife (Laura) shows up regularly to visit her mother. Correction... sorta twice... he came here on AF-1 the day he left Washington ... for a few minutes.... claiming he was back ... then left for Dallas.

--- In the same period Clinton has been here (actually Odessa) as well .... to raise money also.

--- Ford even came here when in office...

--- As far I know he has been back to Midland only once since being sworn into office..... to raise money....not to visit anyone... and he claims Midland is his hometown..... odd. His wife (Laura) shows up regularly to visit her mother. Correction... sorta twice... he came here on AF-1 the day he left Washington ... for a few minutes.... claiming he was back ... then left for Dallas.

--- In the same period Clinton has been here (actually Odessa) as well .... to raise money also.

--- Ford even came here when in office...

Crap, if I finally got out of the hell hole that is Odessa, I wouldn't want to go back there, either.

Guess you missed the stories about he and Laura greeting the troups returning home at DFW and the story about he and Laura driving down to Fort Hood the day after the shooting to visit the wounded. Many BS stories going around bout this second visit, so here is a Snopes link for the real deal. And amazingly enough, all those hateful stories about Pres Obama's visit are false, also (no surprise).

I think GWB refers to Midland as the place where he cut his teeth in the oil business more than his hometown, but I could be wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Crap, if I finally got out of the hell hole that is Odessa, I wouldn't want to go back there, either.

Guess you missed the stories about he and Laura greeting the troups returning home at DFW and the story about he and Laura driving down to Fort Hood the day after the shooting to visit the wounded. Many BS stories going around bout this second visit, so here is a Snopes link for the real deal. And amazingly enough, all those hateful stories about Pres Obama's visit are false, also (no surprise).

I think GWB refers to Midland as the place where he cut his teeth in the oil business more than his hometown, but I could be wrong.

Don't rob them of their hate, that is all they seem to have. :ph34r:

so would everyone here also be so unhappy with Bill Clinton strolling onto campus with a freshly greased cigar in his mouth asking for $100k as well

I'm all for any former president making a visit to speak at NT. Just don't act like they did it out of the goodness of their hearts.