Persepctive From A New Season Ticket Holder

McKinneyMiner

Last year my 8-year old son and I attended the Army game and had a great time... A close, disappointing loss, but a great game...

After the season I asked him if he would like to get season tickets for the next season and he immedialtely replied, "YES!"...

So, we cleared some budget and bought 2 season tickets in section B...

As the season approched we were both incredibly excited...

We attended the Alumni game-watching party at Fox and Hound for the Clemson game and had a great time...

Which brings us to last night's game...

We had a previous engagement, so we didn't get to tailgate which he loves to do... We arrived at the stadium about 20 minutes before game time...

We saw the sky divers and got to see the band...

The student section provided an incredible, big-time atmosphere...

The game was so tense and relentless that I kept wondering how a 10-year old was taking it...

Well, he was yelling his lungs out, pounding the bleachers and cheering on HIS team...

When the game was over I looked at my son and I saw that he was disappointed, but then he looked at me and said, "I am so glad you bought season tickets Dad. This was SO fun and it's going to be a great season!"

Isn't that what all this is really about...??

I want UNT to win as much as anyone... And I honestly believe they are so, so close...

But more importantly I am looking forward to each and every game this season and in seasons to come to spending time with my son at a football game on fall Saturdays...

PRICELESS moments. From one who's "little one" is now 32, I want to tell you how much your post "warmed my heart" after such a heartbreaking loss. I was fortunate enough to get to meet you and your son at the Fox and Hound watch party, and asked about his arm and his football experience. It was obvious to me tat he loves football, but he loves being at football events with his Dad even more. Enjoy each moment as in a blink of an eye your 10 year old will be 31 just like my "little guy". Best post I have read in along time and really places the game in its most proper perspective.

Hope to see you at the next home game...you and your son!

GO MEAN GREEN!

First off, a VERY warm welcome to you and your son. We need another 5,000 or so duos just like you.

Unfortunately though, the game isn't won or judged on the production of warm and fuzzies. What's keeping the fence sitting father-son duos away is not lack of game day production or the absence of family fun. It's mounting and predictable losses. Even those among our most die-hard are wearing out.

When Frank Solich was fired by Nebraska AFTER a winning season nobody cited his lack of "fun" that he produced. Nobody went home from their stadium swearing never to return because their kids weren't entertained.

I know of one hard-core MG fan and the wife of another who have sworn off watching until there is a regime change. Some will make light of this and say they're bad fans or "quitters" but keep something in mind. These were the true believers, the ones who literally put their money where their mouth is...not the many many who need that excuse to get invested at all. We can make excuses and hand our entire coaching staff citizenship awards, which I have no doubt they deserve, but we cannot continue to pretend niceness builds a fan base.

Last year my 8-year old son and I attended the Army game and had a great time... A close, disappointing loss, but a great game...

After the season I asked him if he would like to get season tickets for the next season and he immedialtely replied, "YES!"...

As the season approched we were both incredibly excited...

We attended the Alumni game-watching party at Fox and Hound for the Clemson game and had a great time...

We had a previous engagement, so we didn't get to tailgate which he loves to do... We arrived at the stadium about 20 minutes before game time...

The game was so tense and relentless that I kept wondering how a 10-year old was taking it...

Well, he was yelling his lungs out, pounding the bleachers and cheering on HIS team...

When the game was over I looked at my son and I saw that he was disappointed, but then he looked at me and said, "I am so glad you bought season tickets Dad. This was SO fun and it's going to be a great season!"

I want UNT to win as much as anyone... And I honestly believe they are so, so close...

But more importantly I am looking forward to each and every game this season and in seasons to come to spending time with my son at a football game on fall Saturdays...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Welcome.

Took the family last night and they had a blast, also. Glad you guys enjoyed the experience. It is night and day at UNT as far as game-day experience.

Ok emmitt I will say it.....they are fair weather fans. We all know the type. They will only support when you are doing well and dump you like a two bit you know what when things get a little tough & care commonly called quitters. They would be the ones who departed the Alamo before the fighting started.

I have seen enough good teams, bad teams and everything in between along with some really bad games to some exciting games in all my years. Win or loose I'm there. It's not about who the coach is or who the AD is or who is playing or not playing it is about sport and watching a bunch of guys playing football on Saturday night. Lastly, it is about seeing people you have not seen in a while and catching up.

• Upvote 1

Ok emmitt I will say it.....they are fair weather fans. We all know the type. They will only support when you are doing well and dump you like a two bit you know what when things get a little tough & care commonly called quitters. They would be the ones who departed the Alamo before the fighting started.

I have seen enough good teams, bad teams and everything in between along with some really bad games to some exciting games in all my years. Win or loose I'm there. It's not about who the coach is or who the AD is or who is playing or not playing it is about sport and watching a bunch of guys playing football on Saturday night. Lastly, it is about seeing people you have not seen in a while and catching up.

These same "fair weather" fans I speak of are the ones who travelled to away games, had season tickets for Dodge years 1-3. Even Tina Turner eventually told Ike enough is enough. Nice try.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That is a refreshing perspective. A big welcome aboard. This train sometimes seems like it is going somewhere. Other times it seems like the commuter train going back and forth every 30 minutes. I hope your son keeps that green fever -- we need folks just like you.

That is a refreshing perspective. A big welcome aboard. This train sometimes seems like it is going somewhere. Other times it seems like the commuter train going back and forth every 30 minutes. I hope your son keeps that green fever -- we need folks just like you.

These same "fair weather" fans I speak of are the ones who travelled to away games, had season tickets for Dodge years 1-3. Even Tina Turner eventually told Ike enough is enough. Nice try.

Not to hijack this really cool thread, but I'll always remember one of the headlines for the story of Ike dying: "Ike beats Tina Turner to death". Yes, from a tabloid, and yes, sick, I know.

Great post, McKinneyMiner, simply great! You and your son are now officially hooked on our favorite drink--green kool-aid! :lol:

And it was great to have seen all you guys: Mark aka eulesseagle, Harry, Emmitt aka Emmitt01, FFR aka Rick, Don aka Huff, Jack aka GrayEagle, EagleMBA, Tony aka KingDL1 (the beer was cold & timely); SUMG, NT80, GreenGrenade II, DennyK, Mark "the trackster", and others my mild demensia prevents me from remembering.

Whether we like it or not--whether we agree or agree to disagree--whether our opinions on GMG.com are mild disagreements or just plain'o knock down drag out pi$$y' opposite opinions of each other that makes us not want to meet at the Mean Green family dinner table to break bread during said dinner...........that is whether we like any of this or not--the fact remains that...

We Are North Texas & We Are One Heck'uva Extended Family (albeit sometimes dysfunctional). B)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Not getting who you're talking about. Does anyone here? And how long has it been since we've been "doing well". And, among the guys who left the Alamo first was the one who came up with the flawed "strategy" for defending it.

But, back on topic, welcome aboard, McKinneyMiner. I honestly had a great time myself, although I'd like to have those last 5 or 6 minutes back.

Edited by eulessismore

I admit, I cheer for laundry...

The red (and blue) of the Texas Rangers

The blue and silver of the Dallas Cowboys

The orange of the UTEP Miners

and...

The green of the UNT Mean Green...

Every season I cheer on old hands and new faces, but in the end it is about the laundry...

Win or lose I am a die hard fan for the teams I support...

And that is exactly what I am teaching my son...

I try not to get too wound up about the things I have no control over, like who the coach is, who the athletic director is and even who the players are...

Once they are employed by or play for my team they get 100% support (and even criticism) until they are no longer with us...

I know some people say that my money and my attendance is my "voice" with the team... I have never thought that way...

The team is put together by individuals who don't answer directly to me and I offer my support one way or the other...

If that makes me a blind, naive fan then that is what I am...

That being said, see you at the next game...

• Upvote 3

welcome aboard, McKinneyMiner. I honestly had a great time myself, although I'd like to have those last 5 or 6 minutes back.

Funny thing...

When Riced scored their last TD it never even occurred to me that Tune wouldn't take us down for either a game winning TD or FG...

I was stunned when that didn't happen...

I honestly believed that much...

Not getting who you're talking about. Does anyone here? And how long has it been since we've been "doing well". And, among the guys who left the Alamo first was the one who came up with the flawed "strategy" for defending it.

But, back on topic, welcome aboard, McKinneyMiner. I honestly had a great time myself, although I'd like to have those last 5 or 6 minutes back.

Being a Texas history afficianado, I didn't realize anyone left the Alamo early after General Antonio de la Santa Anna (self acclaimed Napoleon of the West) troops arrived much earlier than their winter travel itenary suggested they were supposed to.

Hellsbells! How am I going to tie anything of a Mean Green nature into this post?!? :shocking: Oh, wait a minute...

REMEMBER RICE!

PS: I am so bummed out after that Rice loss for everyone starting with Coach Dodge to the rest of the Mean Green Nation. That one hurt.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I hate to derail this thread, since it's a very good start to a topic. I might know who he is talking about, and if it's not the same, then there are at least 2 cases of this happening.

Funny thing...

When Riced scored their last TD it never even occurred to me that Tune wouldn't take us down for either a game winning TD or FG...

I was stunned when that didn't happen...

I honestly believed that much...

I love your outlook on things. It's how I try to look at things as well. I've been stunned many, many times.

So did I. I also believe we will win at least 7 games. The only time I ever considered giving up on a season was during a long bus ride back from ULM in 2001, and the next week we turned everything around. I always expect to win and don't want to miss out when it begins.

And that is why I try to preface my TDodge talk with "IF" he is dismmissed. I want whats best for Todd Dodge and what is best for North Texas--if the twain shall meet for a common success--so be it. Amen. :innocent::rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

As the season approached we were both incredibly excited...

The game was so tense and relentless that I kept wondering how a 9-year old was taking it...

Wonderful. That really is what it is all about. My son and I had a similar experience last night.

Wonderful. That really is what it is all about. My son and I had a similar experience last night.

and to be honest...even my father after last night's game called me and asked if I could possibly bring him to a game sometime. He is a Michigan State grad (BA and MA) and goes to at least 4 games a year of the Spartans. For him to say that about desiring to go to a Mean Green game is almost tear-jerking.

sooo...just for the record. Only one man left the Alamo when giving the chance to (Travis's famous speech)....the rest were like us and in for the long haul. I just hope outcome of the scenario is what separates the two situations.

I know of one hard-core MG fan and the wife of another who have sworn off watching until there is a regime change. Some will make light of this and say they're bad fans or "quitters" but keep something in mind. These were the true believers, the ones who literally put their money where their mouth is...not the many many who need that excuse to get invested at all. We can make excuses and hand our entire coaching staff citizenship awards, which I have no doubt they deserve, but we cannot continue to pretend niceness builds a fan base.

I guess my question for you Emmitt is:

If it's completely justifiable for these fans you speak of to swear off watching until there's a regime change, then why are you still watching?

I think the answer is, it's not OK... that's why you still show up. That's why I still show up. Why would you continue to subject yourself to these losses? Because you are a FAN! I don't know all of the details on the fans you speak of, but to me they reek of "fair-weather fandom". We need more fans like you and fewer fans like the ones you speak of.