Let Me Be The First...

NCMeanGreen

I may have seen some missed tackles... but I also saw a defense that was asked to defend all but maybe 2 drives from their side of the 50 and stopped the first 4,5, or 6 of those and forced FGs and turnovers. If we were looking at the starting position, this game could have gotten incredibly nasty.

I will not harp on missed tackles after this game. The offense had the opportunities and didn't come through. The defense, save the last very critical drive, played admirably, IMO.

Rice is a bad team. This will be the only W for them in 2010.

I hate to say it. But, outside of their kicker and punter, I was not very impressed at all with Rice.

I really thought that we had more talent and speed on both sides of the ball. But, our special teams are just atrocious.

• Upvote 1

I hate to say it. But, outside of their kicker and punter, I was not very impressed at all with Rice.

I really thought that we had more talent and speed on both sides of the ball. But, our special teams are just atrocious.

Their PK , Boswell if you remember was on his way to Denton last year until the last week of signing day when Rice called.... Man what a difference he would have made tonight

Edited by NT03

if you are embarrassed leave or find a solution! poor tackling isn't his fault, it's the players. i hate that the guys are failing, but they are doing their best and coming up short. this is my school, my team, and i'm supporting them. if you aren't, then leave. you are right...the coach didn't lose this game. the players just came up short. i hope next week will be better.

Look, if you can tell us to leave we can tell you the same. I have been following this program since '93 and its the SOS. You look in the toilet and call a turd the USS Lexington. This is my school, my team and I'm sick of apologists telling me a turd is an aircraft carrier. Leave your support behind, we don't need anymore Neville Chamberlain's telling us that we are okay. We are not okay. We are the laughing stock of D1 football. Instead of telling us that we should leave, I would like to introduce you and fans like you to the door.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is simply a culture of losing. I don't think this team thinks it can win. You cannot continue to lose these close games unless mentally a team simply not know or believe they can shut the door. That lies at the feet of Coach Dodge. To be up and not be able to close in the 4th quarter over and over again is ludicrous. This may be the only game a get a chance to see this year in person. I feel like I will see somebody walking our sidelines when opening across the street.

Great game! Amazing heat! Fun times!

Hope for the Mean Green, my team forever!

GMG

• Upvote 2

I thought this was a must win and I still think it was to set the tone for the rest of the season. I saw too many of the same stupid mistakes, we should have won this game we just find a way to lose. I hope Dodge pulls it out but I think the odds of him doing it just cut in half.

Those that talk about Rice Two years ago well this is a different team by a long shot and we should have cooked them. WE HAD EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO WIN THIS.

Maybe we will get a spark in New York.

King...thanks again for taking us into your tailgate today. The guys and I really appreciate it! This game has so many parallels with last year's Ohio game it isn't even funny. The only plus I can see out of this situation (and I hate to say it) is that you can expect Derek to come out swinging with everything he has to show that he has the skills to be our starting QB. If we can get him to play smart...calm, cool and collected...then I expect great things from him. Army = Must Win....or the season is done with maybe 3 wins. WKU even put some points up on UK today...as they are getting better as well. With FAU giving MSU a good run...MTSU almost beating Minny...and Troy almost taking OSU to the woodshed again I am nervous that those three teams are almost certain Ls at this point. We have to get this together or we all lose (not just Todd).

King...thanks again for taking us into your tailgate today. The guys and I really appreciate it! This game has so many parallels with last year's Ohio game it isn't even funny. The only plus I can see out of this situation (and I hate to say it) is that you can expect Derek to come out swinging with everything he has to show that he has the skills to be our starting QB. If we can get him to play smart...calm, cool and collected...then I expect great things from him. Army = Must Win....or the season is done with maybe 3 wins. WKU even put some points up on UK today...as they are getting better as well. With FAU giving MSU a good run...MTSU almost beating Minny...and Troy almost taking OSU to the woodshed again I am nervous that those three teams are almost certain Ls at this point. We have to get this together or we all lose (not just Todd).

Anytime damn glad to have you, please join us for the season.

I hope Derek can be our new wild-card, but I see the whole season now going as last year's.

This board baffles me. Todd Dodge doesn't throw Nathan Tune's interceptions or cause him to fumble. Todd Dodge can't hold Lance Dunbar's arms tighter so he doesn't fumble. Todd Dodge does not block on punt. Todd Dodge doesn't kick the ball out of bounds. Todd Dodge doesn't drop interceptions or miss tackles. As a matter of fact Todd Dodge doesn't call the offensive plays or tell Riley Dodge to get in the game. Do you think he goes to practice and coaches to throw interceptions, drop balls, kick the ball 50 yds out of bounds, every person imaginable block your opponent in the back, let your opponent block punts, miss tackles etc etc etc. You want to blame this game on someone? Blame it on the player's and their inability to execute and finish a game. Do you honestly think bringing in Mike Leach is going to fix our problems??? You can bring in Bill Belichick, Mack Brown, Lou Holtz, Jimmy "f-ing" Johnson, IT DOES NOT MATTER UNLESS THE PLAYERS EXECUTE THEIR ASSIGNMENTS. Get real people. Do you think they coach how to block or catch the ball differently??? You can have the greatest scheme offensively and defensively but if the players that are to be executing this scheme fail to execute their assignments then how the hell is that the coaches fault?

My suggestion: Get behind your team. This board is a cesspool from failure, complaining, and people that think they know the problems but are undoubtedly in the wrong.

Go Mean Green. This season is far from over and far from being a loss.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 15

While I am frustrated as anyone and disheartened by this loss, and yes I blame the coaching for the use of Riley, not teaching how NOT to kick kickoffs out of bounds, special teams, and tackling, we still have 10 games to go. I think we all know where we stand on the keep Dodge/fire Dodge argument, but we have to stand behind and support the team. Can we please put off this talk for at least a couple of games?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This board baffles me. Todd Dodge doesn't throw Nathan Tune's interceptions or cause him to fumble. Todd Dodge can't hold Lance Dunbar's arms tighter so he doesn't fumble. Todd Dodge does not block on punt. Todd Dodge doesn't kick the ball out of bounds. Todd Dodge doesn't drop interceptions or miss tackles. As a matter of fact Todd Dodge doesn't call the offensive plays or tell Riley Dodge to get in the game. Do you think he goes to practice and coaches to throw interceptions, drop balls, kick the ball 50 yds out of bounds, every person imaginable block your opponent in the back, let your opponent block punts, miss tackles etc etc etc. You want to blame this game on someone? Blame it on the player's and their inability to execute and finish a game. Do you honestly think bringing in Mike Leach is going to fix our problems??? You can bring in Bill Belichick, Mack Brown, Lou Holtz, Jimmy "f-ing" Johnson, IT DOES NOT MATTER UNLESS THE PLAYERS EXECUTE THEIR ASSIGNMENTS. Get real people. Do you think they coach how to block or catch the ball differently??? You can have the greatest scheme offensively and defensively but if the players that are to be executing this scheme fail to execute their assignments then how the hell is that the coaches fault?

My suggestion: Get behind your team. This board is a cesspool from failure, complaining, and people that think they know the problems but are undoubtedly in the wrong.

Go Mean Green. This season is far from over and far from being a loss.

Wow. Where to start. Coaches call the plays. They called the wrong plays on two critical possessions tonight. Especially the last play of the game. I would think the coaches are partially to blame. Wouldn't you?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I guess the biggest question marks I have formed over my head is how the defense, albeit improved can be so maddeningly inconsistant. One series, they stuff the run, pressure the quarterback and make Rice's offense look feeble. One series later they give up big plays and the corners drop easy pickoff opportunities. I don't share the venomous feelings toward Dodge that some other posters do, but I do believe a change at head coach is necessary to end the culture of failure that permeates this program. We cannot allow the momentum of opening our new stadium to be derailed by failure upon failure.

That all being said, I hope the best for coach Dodge and the Mean Green in our remaining 10 games and I would welcome them proving me wrong.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

• Upvote 2

Im no "Billski", but you have to make sure the routes you call are run past the 1st down marker on 4th down plays.

Rudy... Please tell me you noticed the other receivers clearly past the first down marker? Dunbar was a check down (not the first check for clarification to you). Defense was backed off leaving a hole where dunbar caught the ball. Dunbar is a playmaker. Thompson made a decision to dump the ball to dunbar to make a play rather than tossing the ball up to covered recievers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

When you go 5-33 and you are expected to suddenly go 7-3 in the final 10 games...it is really too much to ask and expect. This team wont win 7 games. I think RV said 7 because he knew deep down that he wasn't going to go get there and yet it was one more season that he could have a cheap salary and hire a coach just in time for the new athletics fee to start. This team is not coached up. Look at Boise State, TCU....hell any decent non-aq schools and I am willing to bet that they are more disciplined and have more of a killer instinct than NT. I had my hopes up after last week but after tonight the reality has really set it. It is what it is and it is time to move forward to the new era of the new stadium and hopefully the new and big name coach.

• Upvote 1

This attitude of, "if you're embarrassed, leave the team/school" is not new, it is just what the administration has presented to fans in the past. That is the major reason that the 4th largest U in the state's home opening attendance couldn't fill up the endzone seats at DKR in Austin.

Winner, winner chicken dinner. This bunker mentality does nothing but push away the potential fans that get tired of the a**whipping that some of the "with us or against us" diehards tend to put out there (not trying to throw radiogreen under the bus, he's been a defender of mine, just making a general observation). That same bunker mentality also perpetuates the culture of losing that NT is stuck in...and amounts to little more than the repeated acceptance of failure. Rather than expecting and demanding more, the diehards just sit back and accept "moral victories" in the name of "I was here when it was way worse". After a while, it's kinda sickening.

All in all, it's safe to call this whole experiment an epic failure. Dodge needs to either submit his resignation or be fired on Monday morning. Chico needs to take the helm in the interim, and NT needs a new coach roaming the sidelines of the new stadium next year. If RV fails to recognize this need, perhaps he should go, too.

New stadium, new coach, new staff, new attitude. Call me crazy like some did in the chatroom last night, but I think Mike Leach should be that new coach. He's been shunned (and, therefore, will be less expensive than normal), he has something to prove, and he's batshit crazy enough to take on a flailing program like NT.

Edited by JayDub
  • Upvote 6

Look, if you can tell us to leave we can tell you the same. I have been following this program since '93 and its the SOS. You look in the toilet and call a turd the USS Lexington. This is my school, my team and I'm sick of apologists telling me a turd is an aircraft carrier. Leave your support behind, we don't need anymore Neville Chamberlain's telling us that we are okay. We are not okay. We are the laughing stock of D1 football. Instead of telling us that we should leave, I would like to introduce you and fans like you to the door.

Don't ever insult the Lady Lex....."The Grey Ghost." I did my CQ's on her and she ain't no turd.

I agree we are all very frustrated, but I would at least wait a few more games till we start the fire dodge chants. He has to get to 7-5 to keep his job. Were 0-2, he has a challenge, but I wouldn't say fire him now.

No...no...sorry, I totally disagree with that. We just lost to a VERY bad Rice team. Does anyone honestly think we could get seven wins this season? So...we are gonna beat Troy? ULL just beat ASU (who I thought would spank us, btw) so I am not looking for us to beat them. Face it...the lowly SB has passed us by. We held on to a dud of a coach for too many years.

Tired of the excuses. Tired of the "we are showing improvement".

In Year 4 you WIN...you do not show improvement!!!! :angry:

TD is finished here...

• Upvote 1

I may have seen some missed tackles... but I also saw a defense that was asked to defend all but maybe 2 drives from their side of the 50 and stopped the first 4,5, or 6 of those and forced FGs and turnovers. If we were looking at the starting position, this game could have gotten incredibly nasty.

I will not harp on missed tackles after this game. The offense had the opportunities and didn't come through. The defense, save the last very critical drive, played admirably, IMO.

The offense had the opportunities and didn't come through. The defense, save the last very critical drive, played admirably, IMO

The defense was the only thing keeping us in the game....so I agree....but RICE was so bad....they dropped the ball a couple of times...sure TD's...this score could have easily been Rice by 14 to 21 points.

We may never get our of the Sunbelt or stop becoming the butt of every college football joke. The biggest problems seem to be at the coaching level. We can't win at the subelt level and can't beat a 2/10 team like Rice when playing at home....very sad indeed for a school of 37,000.