It's Official Nevada To The Mwc With Fresno

MeanGreen61

And remember that our athletics department said our best strategy was to "wait and see".

Yeah. That worked out real well.

You would have rather we jumped to a WAC now without Boise, Nevada and Fresno? OK, they will have the BYU basketball team. Wait and see seems to have been the best of bad choices.

But I didn't give you a minus for suggesting otherwise!

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1

And remember that our athletics department said our best strategy was to "wait and see".

Yeah. That worked out real well.

You are right. We could have ended up in the WAC which stands for We Ain,t a Conference. Where would you have asked RV to send us?

• Upvote 1

You are right. We could have ended up in the WAC which stands for We Ain,t a Conference. Where would you have asked RV to send us?

I'm just saying that while we're sitting around waiting for something good to happen, Fresno State and Nevada were obviously pitching their case. And that is EXACTLY what they said they were doing.

"[university President] Glick said Nevada officials will reach out to the MWC to gauge the conference's interest in the Wolf Pack." - June 12, 2010

And remember what UNT said they were going to do.

"We'll wait and see what happens."

No risk, no reward.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm just saying that while we're sitting around waiting for something good to happen, Fresno State and Nevada were obviously pitching their case. And that is EXACTLY what they said they were doing.

"[university President] Glick said Nevada officials will reach out to the MWC to gauge the conference's interest in the Wolf Pack." - June 12, 2010

No risk, no reward.

That has been my stance from day 1. I don't like this building the belt attitude because lets face it....it doesn't and won't do anything for NT or frankly any other school within the conference. The SBC is the dump of college football and everybody knows it. There is no building the belt because it will always remain the dump of CFB IMO. RV needed to be on his arse and pitching what NT has and what they have to offer and make it public that hey we want in on the realignment movement. The no risk no reward is the perfect description of what I believe has been going on in regards to conference talk for RV.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No risk, no reward.

so you would have been okay with nt reaching out and trying to get a WAC invite???

only to see it almost dissolve...

i'm happy with what the school did. no one could have seen this happen. passiveness can pay off...ya never know

so you would have been okay with nt reaching out and trying to get a WAC invite???

Where exactly did I say that?

And if we did join the WAC, there is no telling what might have happened. Maybe BYU doesn't leave MWC and then Fresno/Nevada never gets an invite. Maybe WAC gets aggressive and goes after UNT, Tulsa, and UTEP.

The point is we waited around hoping for a MWC invitation to fall into our laps and we got nothing.

• Upvote 1

You people who second guess our decisions are way off base. Maybe if we could see all of the cards, you could get upset. UNT hired Chuck Neinas to get the scoop. I'm confident RV has MUCH better information than any of us do.

TCU coach Gary Patterson on BYU possibly leaving MWC: "Let’s see what happens in the next two weeks before you make any judgements .. see wht happens on the national landscape. Things I know that maybe you don’t know."

How come no one is killing Gary Patterson for saying, "let's wait and see what happens..."? Shit, if TCU would have shown it was renovating a stadium sooner, the Big XII or PAC10 might have snatched them up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What a bunch of strange comments. Many instead of praising a wise decision on NT' s part, to stay out of the WAC; chose to hammer NT for not being more pro active. This despite most of if not all posters on this board having no idea who or how often NT is talking to relative to realignment. Some of you are as delusional as the La Tech fans. Barks and Bytes is an interest read right now. Most would rather be independent than consort with that lowest of low conferences, the Belt. Some incredibly believe that a CUSA or MWC bid is imminent. Back to NT, it appears to me that NT is doing almost everything possible to be attractive to a better conference, but the sad fact is for both La Tech and NT that you have to be wanted. The conference shuffle could result in a great opportunity or disaster for NT or La Tech. NT at least is in a much better position than L. Tech who could very easily not have any conference. Football can survive as an independent but long term it will kill the other sports. Despite our friends in Ruston's view; the Belt is looking increasingly better.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4

Gary Patterson and TCU don't NEED to do anything. They have the luxury of being able to wait things out - we don't.

Nevada publicly stated they were making their pitch to MWC. I mean, they just came right out and said it and many sportswriters snickered at the audacity. MWC had just invited Boise State, why would they even look at Nevada? Without a doubt, Nevada gets an A+++ for their work and the results. Even if they become bottom dwellers for a few years, they upgraded their athletics department big time.

Hawaii announced last night they will explore all of their options. Every other WAC team is doing the same thing. I guarantee you that LA Tech is calling CUSA, Big 12, and (yes) the Sun Belt about how they would be a great contributor to those conferences.

Meanwhile, we're hiring consultants to start doing studies to make suggestions on what to do in 2 years. The Big 6 are consolidating their nefarious power in an attempt to position themselves for The Great Purge, and the MWC seems to be the only non-AQ conference that knows what they're doing.

I would feel much better if we knew for certain that we were doing something other than "wait and see".

Then again, maybe RV and the administrations aim was not to go west again sensing instability in both conferences. I think it would be short-sighted of us to criticize our administration when it is obvious the chips haven't stopped falling. Let's see how this all shakes out before we light the torches and storm RV's manor. The WAC and the MWC seem very unstable at this time.

• Upvote 4

What a bunch of strange comments. Many instead of praising a wise decision on NT' s part, to stay out of the WAC; chose to hammer NT for not being more pro active. This despite most of if not all posters on this board having no idea who or how often NT is talking to relative to realignment. Some of you are as delusional as the La Tech fans. Barks and Bytes is an interest read right now. Most would rather be independent than consort with that lowest of low conferences, the Belt. Some incredibly believe that a CUSA or MWC bid is imminent. Back to NT, it appears to me that NT is doing almost everything possible to be attractive to a better conference, but the sad fact is for both La Tech and NT that you have to be wanted. The conference shuffle could result in a great opportunity or disaster for NT or La Tech. NT at least is in a much better position than L. Tech who could very easily not have any conference. Football can survive as an independent but long term it will kill the other sports. Despite our friends in Ruston's view; the Belt is looking increasingly better.

---Absolutely agree.... I am wondering what NMSU and the others that left the Belt to go to WAC are thinking now..... Those are now the core of the WAC. Since joining the WAC has lost UTEP, Nevada, Boise, and Nevada. I didn't think at the time that the WAC was better and actually potnetially a bad situation because of possibily being raided... which has happened. There are only six teams left....three? from SunBelt and LaTech. The bad thing is there really aren't any good options in the area to add. Options seems to be pick up lower ranked Big Sky members (or drop down and join them) or possibly go after Texas State and UT-San Antonio. It is a conference is very bad shape.

---Thank goodness we were smart enough to stay away from that disaster. Add to the obvious problems is it is in a bad time zone, a sparsely populated area, gets little national media attention, and involves a lot of travel which is really bad for sports other than football. I am betting people at LaTech and NMSU are really depressed today. The Belt was a far better option..... and it still exists... and is slowly getting more attention.

we seem to have an inflated perception as to the value of our athletic program as relates to other mid-major conferences. why would we think that mt. west would have interest in us at this point in time? one problem that we have no control over is our location. tcu feels they have the dfw market, as does smu. this makes it extremely difficult for us to be considered by c/usa as well. [tcu faces the same issue with big 12]. although the wac has more lives than felix the cat, it appears they will soon be history. of the 6 remaining schools, 4 are former belt members. you must admire the mt. west. by destroying the wac, they probably prevented the loss of byu. if so, look for houston to become its 12th member. goals should be reasonable and obtainable, with a little pie in the sky. in my opinion, our goal should be to build our athletic program so that it has value when future conference change takes place, which it will.our cornerstone should be our new stadium, winning football team, and fan support for our programs. fan support is the key. our support of our mens basketball team is terrible. at present our fan base is "all hat and no cattle". unless we can increase attendance in all sports, successful or not, then we will always be on the outside crying to get in. the responsibility is ours, not administrations.the buck should stop with us.

• Upvote 1

--It would not shock me if the Belt added LaTech and readmitted NMSU and create East/West divisions. Those two need to do something and the WAC is now seems to be an awful option.

--Another factor is "Will the Big-XII try to find two teams from somewhere to go back to 12 teams. They are moving slowly which is the best thing to do. I can't see them taking SMU (too much bad history with them).... so who is left...? We don't look like a great option NOW but we are in huge market with a huge alum base if we can tap into it. The Dallas area is building closer and closer to Denton as well. Houston and Memphis might be possible as well. Rice and Tulsa are just very small and no large potential fan base. TCU...who knows.... Baylor for one seems to hate them.

Many of you may not remember the Big West days it was awful a lot of travel expenses which left little to nothing to build athletics at NT. Have you folks ever thought that the pieces are beginning to come together. What I mean is you have the Consultant who is well connected and will be advising NT also the interim President at NT had worked with this consultant to bring about the Conference USA.

I am upbeat that what could be happening behind the scenes is possible reshuffling of two conferences to become more regionalized or formulating a new conference which would draw teams from both the Sunbelt and CUSA. Do not know but you can bet that both RV and the Pres along with the Board of Trustees are looking at how to best put NT ahead in a conference realignment.

Agree that the WAC is imploding and will become an old 1-AA conference. The MWC would not serve NT because of high travel costs and little press coverage due to time zone differences.

• Upvote 1