Byu To Rejoin Wac In All Sports Except Football?

NT80

What is the WAC did regain Boise St. and has BYU in other sports besides football. I wonder if UNT would still have that open invitation to the WAC and if we would be more interested in it....Thoughts?

I think the invitation would still be open because I think Benson would love to have a presence in Texas although UTEP may be the most favorable option possibly in their minds. If UNT didn't show interest in the WAC after Boise State staying and BYU joined the conference outside of football then something is seriously wrong with RV. He would need to be called out by all UNT fans. And with BYU being independant, it doesn't mean we can schedule them in football pretty often. Maybe not every year but most years we can probably schedule BYU for home and way meetings.

• Downvote 1

As part of the deal BYU agreed to play 4 WAC teams every year in football

I think the invitation would still be open because I think Benson would love to have a presence in Texas although UTEP may be the most favorable option possibly in their minds. If UNT didn't show interest in the WAC after Boise State staying and BYU joined the conference outside of football then something is seriously wrong with RV. He would need to be called out by all UNT fans. And with BYU being independant, it doesn't mean we can schedule them in football pretty often. Maybe not every year but most years we can probably schedule BYU for home and way meetings.

This could be all kinds of good for UNT.

Without BYU, the MWC is already looking at some CUSA schools to fill the void. Most likely from the CUSA Texas schools. Houston and UTEP have already been mentioned but for us, the best thing would be for the MWC to invite SMU to join it's old rival TCU. This would have the following advantages for us:

1. Eastern CUSA schools wouldnt object to adding another Texas school, because it just replacing one for another.

2. CUSA would want back in the DFW Market

3. We wouldn't have to deal with SMU's objections to being in the same conference as UNT.

4. WAC schools (specifically La Tech) aren't an option. They don't have the $$$ to pay that $5m penalty

IF BYU pulls this off and does go independent, I think they will do well. They are one of about 5 teams that could pull this off, but I think it would actually help them if they do this. Follow Notre Dame's plan, keep playing name teams and rivals in football, and then join a conference for your other sports where you can succeed.

Assuming that the rumors are true and BYU does leave, and Fresno State and Nevada join, the MWC will still be in good shape, especially if they add UTEP and UH to the mix, which I think is probable. That would leave CUSA needing two teams. I think that MTSU looks very good to them and I would suspect that we would be next in line--unless SMU again backs La Tech and the other privates help to get them over, i.e. vote them in and help pay their WAC buyout. If not, we should be in good shape here. IF we do get black-balled again, though, we are going to be in the SBC for a long time.

Edited by untjim1995

With all this talk I still only see of aspirations of CUSA and CUSA only. Seriously being in the WAC with both Boise State, Fresno State and BYU would be awesome for the exposure of the whole conference and NT. Clearly the WAC in that scenario would be the best scenario NT could choose. But then again you never know with little ol North Texas.

• Downvote 2

I haven't seen this idea floated out there so I thought I'd throw my cards into the pile. Maybe BYU started thinking about going independent since they knew Fresno and Nevada were inbound to the MWC. Perhaps they weren't liking the idea of being associated with those 2 schools in particular so they figured the grass might be greener somewhere else.

I haven't seen this idea floated out there so I thought I'd throw my cards into the pile. Maybe BYU started thinking about going independent since they knew Fresno and Nevada were inbound to the MWC. Perhaps they weren't liking the idea of being associated with those 2 schools in particular so they figured the grass might be greener somewhere else.

I don't think so. I think the whole BYU thing was a move to strike a blow at the MWC. But Craig Thompson pulled off a master counterstrike and plunged a cold-blooded dagger into the heart of the WAC.

I don't think so. I think the whole BYU thing was a move to strike a blow at the MWC. But Craig Thompson pulled off a master counterstrike and plunged a cold-blooded dagger into the heart of the WAC.

So, if BYU does stay that leaves the MWC at 11. Why not take the plunch and go to 12. Who does everyone think might be on the MWC radar as #12?

With all this talk I still only see of aspirations of CUSA and CUSA only. Seriously being in the WAC with both Boise State, Fresno State and BYU would be awesome for the exposure of the whole conference and NT. Clearly the WAC in that scenario would be the best scenario NT could choose. But then again you never know with little ol North Texas.

Many see this statement has negative cause when UNT joins the WAC, we feel cheated because Houston will have joined MWC.

So, if BYU does stay that leaves the MWC at 11. Why not take the plunch and go to 12. Who does everyone think might be on the MWC radar as #12?

We would make the most sense travel-wise, especially since TCU doesn't want to be in the same conference as SMU. I don't think they'll expand to 12, though. It splits the pie more for no reason, and lowers the chance of their teams getting an at-large BCS bid, let alone an auto bid.