SNOW DAY

UNTFan23

For once you guys have snow and I don't.  It was 7 degrees here this morning though (Amarillo).  I can't stand the weather here.

Zeke, I wish it was snow...instead...it's the characteristic sleet and freezing rain that falls in DFW.

So........are we placing bets yet on if theres school tomorrow? tongue.gif

I think it will be safe to say that there will be NO AM classes. However, seeing how the roads were on TV at 5pm tonight, the Denton area has been hard hit. Even if there are afternoon classes, how many students would actually risk driving if they really have to.

The key thing will be, will the temperature get above freezing?

I heard that the temps were not supposed to get out of the 20s tomorrow. At least it that is what it said this afternoon on the internet at weather.com. And as I look outside my window at Crumley, all I see is a white road!!! It doesn't look good for AM classes. That is good news because I only have one class on Tuesdays and that is at 8 AM. So if this holds out, no class tomorrow for me!!!

I am sorry, this is all my fault. You see, each time I have moved to a new state the area experiences their worst winter storm in decades. First winter in Illinois - 27 inches of snow in 24 hours. First winter in DFW - the metroplex turns into a gigantic skating rink. I apologize for the inconvenience!

Bowling Green received 2 inches of snow last night and 1 inch Saturday night, but I didn't have a whole lot of trouble commuting to work this morning. Snow packed roads are driveable, it's the ice you have to worry about. People here tend to drive reasonably well in snow and ice as we get 5 or 6 snow storms a year.

GreenEggs&Ham winter driving tips:

1. Keep 4 car lengths distance to the car in front of you.

2. Do not panic if you begin to slide and don't apply the brakes!

3. If you begin to slide, turn the steering wheel into the direction you want the car to go. Remain calm. You would be amazed how many times I saved my arse by staying calm.

4. Use 2nd gear or low 2 in heavy snow. My Grandfather retired from the road dept. here and he taught me that one. It works!

5. Keep your gas tank full and never drive over 35 mph. Also turn rear defroster on to melt ice and snow as it accumulates on your rear window to improve visability.

6. I have used my ABS to stop on ice before, but try it in the parking lot at low speed first. ABS transmits a pulsation to the brake pedal and takes some getting used to.

Ch.8's Wednesday evening 6pm news had a reporter in Denton live showing the I-35 traffic. He was near the Radisson with the camera looking over his shoulder, a nice view of Fouts! Earlier in the morning the Performing Arts Bldg was the background, plus they showed many UNT students enjoying the snow day off, including Clark Hall jazz musicians performing for students stuck inside. A lot of good UNT media for a slow news day. cool.gif

I am sorry, this is all my fault.  You see, each time I have moved to a new state the area experiences their worst winter storm in decades.  First winter in Illinois - 27 inches of snow in 24 hours.  First winter in DFW - the metroplex turns into a gigantic skating rink.  I apologize for the inconvenience!

What would you think about maybe moving to Oklahoma for a week every year, then moving back....?

smile.gif