I can not wait for Saturday to get here...got my Herculez kit and American flag bandanna and will be pulling up at some Greenpoint bar about 9 am to stake out my spot.

(My) Saturday Line-Up

GK - Tim Howard (duh) - Top five keeper in the world...maybe even other worlds.

Backs - Steve Cherundelo, Jay DeMerit, Carlos Bocanegra, Johnathon Bornstein -

I thought through the first two games defensive lapses in the middle were on DeMerit and was surprised to see him in yesterday's line-up...however I thought he was brilliant against Algeria and am now of the belief that the sketchy play in the back is due to Onyewu not being 100% fit. Cherundelo has been great, Bornstein was solid and I really like the move of Bocanegra to centerback. The other thing that should keep Gooch out against Ghana is that Boateng, Ayew and Gyan, Ghana's best attackers, are not big...at all...but they are very fast. Gooch is a bad match-up.

Midfield - Landon Donovan, Maurice Edu (sub: Benny Feilhaber), Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey -

Donovan, Bradley and Dempsey are givens...they have all three been absolutely outstanding and something tells me Dempsey's luck is going to change Saturday. Edu has been the best defensive midfielder thus far and I think setting an early defensive tone in the back, especially the first 15 minutes while the backs are still waking up, will go along way. Feilhaber was great closing the game yesterday and if the US needs an offensive kcik-start in the second half he'd be the guy I'd call upon.

Forwards - Jozy Altidore, Herculez Gomez (sub: Robbie Findley) -

Again, Jozy is a given...it makes me so happy to know that this kid is just 21 and the future of US soccer is in his hands. The second forward is kind of a toss up to me...I like Buddle's size and he looked good in the warm-ups, but I felt he looked nervous against Algeria. Gomez had two great strikes on goal, though one he should've just hit with some finesse, and he played a brilliant ball that Dempsey buried on the disallowed goal. However he seemed out of sync up front and played some very poor routine passes. I haven't been too thrilled with Findley, but he does work well with Jozy. I'd start Gomez and his good energy and see if his knack for finding the ball around the goal pays dividends in the first half...and then finish with Findley.

Just my two cents...thoughts?

I like Gomez for the start over Findley, and I like Feilhaber as a sub as he tends to bring some new energy into the mix as a sub and tends to help control that midfield at times when the US is breaking down a bit in the midfield. Bornstein worries me a bit, but he held is own yesterday and as Onyewu is definitely not 100% fit, I'd go with Bornstein. Onyewu can come in late if needed. Bradley is having an absolutely fantastic World Cup and is developing into a real team leader.

I'll be with the bride at the Ginger man and Idle Rich in Dallas watching the game and drinking some great beers. It is going to be a great day. Ghana scares me as they are so you and athletic. However, I like playing them in the round of 16 over Germany just for the psychological fact that Germany is, well, Germany and a traditional soccer power whereas Ghana is a bit of an unknown to the US squad so no reason to have any psychological disadvantage. Challenge for the US will be for them to not go down a goal early and to keep the pressure up in the midfield. The US back line just does not give me a great sense that they are "together" as yet, but a win over Ghana and a trip to the round of 8 could do a lot to bring the back line together.

Dempsey "deserves" a goal after all his trials and tribulations. He is being beat up by the opposing teams and he is handling the misfortunes well. I hope he gets a goal Saturday (for several reasons). For me, he had definitely earned it!

USA-USA-USA!!!!!!

I would start Findley over Gomez. I would actually start buddle over findley, but thats just me.

Gomez is young and "not ready" for a starting role. I really super-duper doubt that Bradley will start Gomez the rest of the time for the world cup. He subbed him out for that simple reason that he isn't ready for such a big role yet. He is great coming off the bench and that is where he should stay.

Buddle is a solid player and I expect him to get a lot of playing time. Bradley likes Findley because of his speed but I am not convinced that he should be the guy to compliment Altidore. I say put in Buddle.

By the way, Altidore isn't that great, IMO. But, his size and power is excellent against most Defenses.

I like your midfield set up with Stewart and Benny as possible subs.

As for D, I wish Spector would get in there instead of Bornstein. I like his play. He is great. He makes my soccer pants go crazy.

Edited by Travis

I would start Findley over Gomez. I would actually start buddle over findley, but thats just me.

Gomez is young and "not ready" for a starting role. I really super-duper doubt that Bradley will start Gomez the rest of the time for the world cup. He subbed him out for that simple reason that he isn't ready for such a big role yet. He is great coming off the bench and that is where he should stay.

Buddle is a solid player and I expect him to get a lot of playing time. Bradley likes Findley because of his speed but I am not convinced that he should be the guy to compliment Altidore. I say put in Buddle.

By the way, Altidore isn't that great, IMO. But, his size and power is excellent against most Defenses.

As for D, I wish Spector would get in there instead of Bornstein. I like his play. He is great. He makes my soccer pants go crazy.

I really liked Buddle coming into the Cup and was very surprised to see him not starting against England...but he has looked overwhelmed...he had chances against Algeria that I feel Gomez would've buried, or at least been more assertive on. I think Gomez's energy early would be beneficial up front, especially if you play more defensively in the midfield.

I too would love to have seen Spector...but I have a hard time believing Bradley would play him in a knock-out game having not used him at all in group play. Same goes for Stewart and Clark.

Jozy is still developing...but I think his play in this Cup has been good enough to get him a significant upgrade in club teams...starter for middle of the road Premiership or la Liga. With his talent, physical tools and the improved seasoning he should get with better clubs for the next 4 years again leave me very confident in the future of US Soccer.

CBL, I like your lineup, though I wouldn't mind seeing Gooch on and Bocs on the left as I just don't trust Bornstein.

I also prefer Gomez to Findley starting. Gomez is finisher and seemed to work very well with Jozy and I was surprised to see him taken off at the half. I think Findley coming on late (60-75) would be the best for him as he will be even faster at that stage going against tired legs on Ghana's backline.

I am not sure what you guys see in Gomez for the starting role over Buddle. He has a decent shot but is young and isn't the smartest player. That is why he was pulled from the Algeria game at half (just like Torres in the game before). Buddle does some great stuff off the ball that Gomez seems not able to do (positioning, defending, drawing out the D).

Buddle, Torres, Stewart, Bornstein are all great players when we are using them in the role they are made for right now. They are best used as reserves for the better players. Give them some years and they could be special for our team.

The only thing that really bothered me out of Buddle in the Algeria game was when he was near-side post with the ball at the end of the game and had no one on him and just gave the ball away right in front of the goal. Outside of that, I feel his play has been more than adequate.

I am not sure what to think of Findley, though I trust him more than I do Gomez.

All are decent players, but I think the Forwards are the weakest unit we have on the team. So you could make a decent arguement for any one of our forwards (including the ones who didn't make the final roster, i.e. Ching) to take a starting role.

The good news is we have a relatively young team and I look forward to what the future holds because of it.

I think Buddle is Jozy light. Notice how that just about got in each other's way against Algeria. They are too similar and don't complement each other right now. Gomez has a scorers nose and is on great form right now. He combined well with Jozy, getting balls that Jozy knocked down and seems to be the best fit with him.

Findley is a different player and I think his pace will trouble any team, but I think he is more effective as a sub giving him a great speed advantage than normal.

Spector and great should not be allowed in the same sentence. Both he and Altidore were not very good in the Premier league. But somehow Jozy raises his game at the international level. However Bornstein scares the hell out of me. Prefer neither sees the field. I'd play Buddle. Then again i usually disagree with bradley 90% of the time and we still won the group. So in Bradley i trust for now.

Spector and great should not be allowed in the same sentence. Both he and Altidore were not very good in the Premier league. But somehow Jozy raises his game at the international level. However Bornstein scares the hell out of me. Prefer neither sees the field. I'd play Buddle. Then again i usually disagree with bradley 90% of the time and we still won the group. So in Bradley i trust for now.

Spector has done very well during the confederations cup and through qualifications.

He has proven his worth in the past and has done well for us.

Is that trust gone now that he started Clark?

Who thinks Bradley made some bad personnel decisions?! I DO!

Yep, agree...some of his personnel decisions leave me quite puzzled!

Too bad...once again US give up an early goal. This time it hurt badly. This was a fun game to watch. We watched it at the Ginger man in Dallas. The place was full of fans and the scene was electric. Fund time, but would have been even better with a win by the US. Good run to the round of sixteen...at least the US showed better in the round of 16 did England. man, what's up with England? Rooney was a non-factor throughout the tournament for England. Big surprise. Time to dump that foreign-born coach I would think!

So, here's an idea...what do you think about FIFA installing a rule that all national teams must be coached by a citizen of the nation they are coaching? Might give some young coaches around the world a real chance to develop. Just a thought as there are so many teams playing with foreign coaches.

• Downvote 1

Yep, agree...some of his personnel decisions leave me quite puzzled!

Too bad...once again US give up an early goal. This time it hurt badly. This was a fun game to watch. We watched it at the Ginger man in Dallas. The place was full of fans and the scene was electric. Fund time, but would have been even better with a win by the US. Good run to the round of sixteen...at least the US showed better in the round of 16 did England. man, what's up with England? Rooney was a non-factor throughout the tournament for England. Big surprise. Time to dump that foreign-born coach I would think!

So, here's an idea...what do you think about FIFA installing a rule that all national teams must be coached by a citizen of the nation they are coaching? Might give some young coaches around the world a real chance to develop. Just a thought as there are so many teams playing with foreign coaches.

I don't think that will be an issue as no team has ever won the cup with a foriegn coach. THink about all the Gus Hiddink has done for multiple countries. It would seem that allowing coaches to work outside of their own countries will only help the deveolping countries get better.

Not that FIFA would ever consider what is best for everyone, just what can line their own pockets!

I don't think that will be an issue as no team has ever won the cup with a foriegn coach. THink about all the Gus Hiddink has done for multiple countries. It would seem that allowing coaches to work outside of their own countries will only help the deveolping countries get better.

Not that FIFA would ever consider what is best for everyone, just what can line their own pockets!

Even though no one has ever won the world cup with a foreign coach, 3 teams with foreign coaches did make the finals.

I would settle for a world cup final. :)

Even though no one has ever won the world cup with a foreign coach, 3 teams with foreign coaches did make the finals.

I would settle for a world cup final. :)

Okay, KRAM I watched the entire game on Saturday and when 85% of it is just back and forth movement of the ball it is boring. The scene/environment for this tournament is great, but the game is just boring. Watching these men run up and down the field for 120+ minutes is a whipping. Soccer just needs more action.

My two boys were watching with me and gave up about half way through the first half, plus I was tired of the constant, "When will someone score?" questions.

Now it is on to the beautiful game of baseball and the Rangers in first place and on the cusp of the best record in the league.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Okay, KRAM I watched the entire game on Saturday and when 85% of it is just back and forth movement of the ball it is boring. The scene/environment for this tournament is great, but the game is just boring. Watching these men run up and down the field for 120+ minutes is a whipping. Soccer just needs more action.

My two boys were watching with me and gave up about half way through the first half, plus I was tired of the constant, "When will someone score?" questions.

Now it is on to the beautiful game of baseball and the Rangers in first place and on the cusp of the best record in the league.

I cannot account for some people's choice in sport. My suggestion to you is to just watch baseball and never mind soccer. You obviously don't get it and don't want to get it. No crime in that. Enjoy your 3+ hour baseball games where it includes 3 hours of standing around. Great excitement that. No wonder so many baseball players are so fat and out of shape...they rarely have to move. But, if that's your game, go for it. Enjoy what you want.

Besides, now you can stop complaining about a sport you don't seem to like. Everyone gets to pick the sports they like, Lifer. As long as you like the Mean green, I could care less about whether you like soccer or not.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thought I could tug your chain and get you going on this Monday morning. I really did watch the entire game and actually enjoyed it, but I think it was the fact that it was U.S.A. and the World Cup.

The point of my post that spiced up your Monday morning is what I think the problem is with the sport in America, and why I would have a hard time going to an MLS game or watching one on television. There's just not enough action, and that is a result of our culture.

The skill level of some of these players is just amazing and fun to watch. I think what hurts teh U.S.A. is that our best athletes choose more mainstream American sports, football, basketball, baseball, to play, where the youth of the world grow up with soccer and that is all that they really know well. Basketbal and baseball have started to grow internationally and American football is just an oddity to much of the world so many of the youth of the world only watch and don't participate, or are much more focussed on soccer. The opposite is true here and hurts our national team, although they played great in the World Cup tournament this year.