Unt To The Wac Would Be An Upgrade...

babigos

La. Tech: "An up and coming program" really? Talk about cash strapped. Their facilities are horrendous and they've mortgaged everything to be in the WAC. The would jump all over a CUSA invite if one came.

Mortgaged everything???

Our athletic budget has increased $4 million from 05-06 to 08-09.

We have added $6 million in improvements to our athletic facilities.

We have ended fiscal year 07-08 and 08-09 with surpluses in our athletic budget.

We are announcing a major athletic facility addition in the very near future despite the state being in financial difficulty.

Our 5 year average for travel expenses is $1.7 million, while ULL has a 5 year average of $1.2 million.

• Upvote 1

Mortgaged everything???

Our athletic budget has increased $4 million from 05-06 to 08-09.

We have added $6 million in improvements to our athletic facilities.

We have ended fiscal year 07-08 and 08-09 with surpluses in our athletic budget.

We are announcing a major athletic facility addition in the very near future despite the state being in financial difficulty.

Our 5 year average for travel expenses is $1.7 million, while ULL has a 5 year average of $1.2 million.

Take the Millions the state give you out of your budget and see what happens to your surplus. It will be interesting to see what the "major addition" actually comprises.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Take the Millions the state give you out of your budget and see what happens to your surplus. It will be interesting to see what the "major addition" actually comprises.

The direct instutional support is state mandated and capped by the legislature. This same law forbids all schools in the University of Louisiana system from charging any student athletic fees. None of the direct instutional support can be used for facilities. This will be completely funded by private donations and bonds; unless the law has recently changed.

So the $3 per semester credit hour that your students currently pay to support your atheletic department. We are not allowed by state law to implement.

Edited by dchi72
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Tech's national profile in football peaked in 2001 with the WAC title. After the run leading up to it, the Dogs were getting close to breaking out. Nothing like a politician AD who figured it'd all just work out, letting the air out of the tires.

A frickin men

Eppy4life...I was at that game in OKC and I was damn proud of our band!

I was there too. What exactly were you proud of? The green wigs? The Obama mask? I do think our band sounded good, they always do. But they looked dumb. The other three schools kept a clean, professional look while our band members thought it was time to show the world their personality.

• Downvote 1

Personally I think the way the landscape has changed, Tech could find a better future in the Belt simply because the money is about to become more similar, the Belt bowls are more regional and Tech could be the tipping point to finally open the Ibowl doors and move the league up the BCS revenue chart.

• Upvote 1

Personally I think the way the landscape has changed, Tech could find a better future in the Belt simply because the money is about to become more similar, the Belt bowls are more regional and Tech could be the tipping point to finally open the Ibowl doors and move the league up the BCS revenue chart.

I know some of the Tech fans still hate everything about the Sun Belt, but do you think their administration still does? And has the Sun Belt administration - Wright Waters specifically - gotten past the ugliness of a decade ago?

No one is moving to CUSA anytime soon as there are no openings and a raid us unlikely for a while. Hawai'i, Fresno, SJSU and Nevada make no secret about wishing La Tech would move to another conference - any conference including the Sun Belt will do. But the WAC will not throw someone out just as we will not throw out ULM to create an opening for Tech.

I was there too. What exactly were you proud of? The green wigs? The Obama mask? I do think our band sounded good, they always do. But they looked dumb. The other three schools kept a clean, professional look while our band members thought it was time to show the world their personality.

Pep bands from all across the country often dress up at basketball games tho? That's...like...a tradition. Maybe the schools that were at our regional site weren't, but I saw many games with bands with colored wigs and the like.

Sun Belt bball tournament? That event is like a pep band circus show with a little basketball played between songs. Well, my experience, anyways.

Bands are in prime position to not only show personality, but also tactically show off their free throw distractions/toys. I've seen everything from dizzying optical illlusions, to life-size female blow up dolls in bikinis. And that is not referencing our band.

• Upvote 1

Your four year average is $1.9 and ULL's is $1.2.

However, it seems odd that you compare ULL who is 180 miles away and uses different airports and has a different set of schools that they can bus to.

Why not look 35 miles down the road to ULM who would bus in a similar manner and use the same airports?

If you look at their four year average, ULM spends $850,000. On average the past four years ULM has spent a million dollars less per year on travel than Tech has.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 2

I know some of the Tech fans still hate everything about the Sun Belt, but do you think their administration still does? And has the Sun Belt administration - Wright Waters specifically - gotten past the ugliness of a decade ago?

No one is moving to CUSA anytime soon as there are no openings and a raid us unlikely for a while. Hawai'i, Fresno, SJSU and Nevada make no secret about wishing La Tech would move to another conference - any conference including the Sun Belt will do. But the WAC will not throw someone out just as we will not throw out ULM to create an opening for Tech.

From what I hear, Tech is the only thing stopping their membership. I've heard from two different places that Tech had contacted their school and told their presidents that if ULM were booted they would join immediately.

I don't think the bodes well for the possibility of their joining. Tech had two opportunities to leave ULM twisting in the wind and passed on both. The first was when the football league formed (and I suspect internal Louisiana politics prevented them from blocking) and the second was when we had to go to 8 full members. If Tech had returned and said, we want to be full members end this business of two-year contracts making ULM a football member and we'll come back, it might have worked. That window is closed now.

Your four year average is $1.9 and ULL's is $1.2.

However, it seems odd that you compare ULL who is 180 miles away and uses different airports and has a different set of schools that they can bus to.

Why not look 35 miles down the road to ULM who would bus in a similar manner and use the same airports?

If you look at their four year average, ULM spends $850,000. On average the past four years ULM has spent a million dollars less per year on travel than Tech has.

Game, set and match?