Hypothetical : If We Start Out 0 - 3 Do We Fire Dodge

NT03

Let's say we start out 0 - 3. Do we go ahead and fire TD & let Chico or DeLoach take over for the rest of the season ?

Would give us a clean slate & must needed boost before conference starts

I don't care if we lose by 7 pts to Rice and 3 pts to Army , moral victories are over for this era. No reason we can't beat Rice & Army. I really hope we start out 2 - 1 and have a ton of confidence heading into FAU.

I think I speak for 99% of all of our fans when I say " we can't handle another poor start"

I think naming Chico HC after the Army game ( if we start 0-3) would be our only chance to win a few games in Belt play and gain some enthusiasm as we head into the new stadium

* I hope we don't have to think about this , but what if ? *

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm not sure if I follow. Chico and D-Lo will both have pretty close to total control over the offense and the defense. If we lose the first 3 games, at least one of those two will be every bit as much to blame as Coach Dodge. So we then throw the added responsibility of head coach upon one of them instead of allowing them to direct all their focus on their side of the line? I don't agree, unless something is pointing to Dodge as the problem. At the end of the season, if we have a season like any of the last 5, there needs to be a complete housecleaning.

But really, considering this is before the season even starts, I see this as an unnecessary thread. Our recent history has not been kind, but can't we show a little hope for the new season?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Let's say we start out 0 - 3. Do we go ahead and fire TD & let Chico or DeLoach take over for the rest of the season ?

Would give us a clean slate & must needed boost before conference starts

I don't care if we lose by 7 pts to Rice and 3 pts to Army , moral victories are over for this era. No reason we can't beat Rice & Army. I really hope we start out 2 - 1 and have a ton of confidence heading into FAU.

I think I speak for 99% of all of our fans when I say " we can't handle another poor start"

I think naming Chico HC after the Army game ( if we start 0-3) would be our only chance to win a few games in Belt play and gain some enthusiasm as we head into the new stadium

* I hope we don't have to think about this , but what if ? *

it would take 7 or 8 losses before they let dodge go. i would rather start over with a proven head coach than another assistant learning on the job.

But really, considering this is before the season even starts, I see this as an unnecessary thread. Our recent history has not been kind, but can't we show a little hope for the new season?

What's the point of a message board then ? You want me to pump you full of Green Kool Aid.

How about if we start out 3 - 0 , should we give Dodge a extension ?

Of the 2 cases , which one is more likely ?

Your right, our past is why there is liitle hope and until something is proven on the field this is a very legit question

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

You tell me . . . I'd be curious to know, based on that response.

Well based on that response this board is no place for hypotheticals , something to discuss in the off season or preparing for what might come in the future & speculating what might happen if our history does in fact repeat itself

Let's face it , this is a real possibility ( us going 0 -3 ) & Dodge is not above any criticism. Until he produces a winning product on the field then 5 - 31 is all we can go by at this point.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well based on that response this board is no place for hypotheticals , something to discuss in the off season or preparing for what might come in the future & speculating what might happen if our history does in fact repeat itself

Let's face it , this is a real possibility ( us going 0 -3 ) & Dodge is not above any criticism. Until he produces a winning product on the field then 5 - 31 is all we can go by at this point.

If you and I were talking privately, I think this would be an interesting conversation. But current players, coaches, and parents read this board, as do recruits. Are you planning on holding up a sign at the first home game saying, "0-3=Fire Dodge"? Of course not, you want to cheer the team on, not bring them down. Not to say that I haven't said anything stupid on this board--we all probably have. I just believe discussions ought to bear in mind that this is a public message board.

No, I think Rick lets him live for the entire season. Coach Dodge knows what he has to do to be here for the stadium opener.

Would a 0-3 start ensure his exit? Probably, but he shouldn't be fired at that point. Just wait until the season is over.

Fire him after game 3 if he goes 0-3....why wait, start giving the new HC experience at the UNT hc position.

We let him finish out the season... but, no way do we keep him here if he can't win 7 games.

Very, very good!

Since the ultimatum is for the entire season, there is nothing to be gained by firing a coach before he has a chance to achieve the goals you set. Firing a coach before the end of a season rarely ever does anything good. Firing him three games in during what is actually one of the rougher parts of the season makes no sense what so ever!

No, I think Rick lets him live for the entire season. Coach Dodge knows what he has to do to be here for the stadium opener.

Would a 0-3 start ensure his exit? Probably, but he shouldn't be fired at that point. Just wait until the season is over.

IF we start 0-3 and we finish with 7 wins, folks we're talking about a possible conference championship and a N.O. bowl bid (including a win over Troy, MT, or KSt)!

Fire him at 0-3, or wait for the end of the season... either way, you have a lame-duck coach for the season.

If you fire him after a hypothetical 0-3 start, it doesn't matter if you promote D-Lo or Chico for the remainder, no matter how they do, they're gone when the new coach is hired. Ask R. McNeil at E.Carolina. Players will quit on the team and the whole year is lost this way.

If you let him coach out the year after the hypothetical 0-3 start, then barring a miracle, there are surely more losses coming and the whole year is lost this way as well. At least there is a chance for the 2010 season to mean something here though.

We have expectations. The team has expectations. Let's hope the team's expectations are greater than ours.

Let's go coach Dodge! Prove your supporters (myself included) right!

• Upvote 1

No...Coach Dodge was brought back for a 4th year---he deserves a full year to see what happens.

And btw....we might just be underdogs in all three of the first games. So everyone who is expecting Army and Rice to be guaranteed Ws...may be in for a rude awakening.

• Upvote 2

If you and I were talking privately, I think this would be an interesting conversation. But current players, coaches, and parents read this board, as do recruits. Are you planning on holding up a sign at the first home game saying, "0-3=Fire Dodge"? Of course not, you want to cheer the team on, not bring them down. Not to say that I haven't said anything stupid on this board--we all probably have. I just believe discussions ought to bear in mind that this is a public message board.

point taken , but if the coaching staff and players don't think that anything negative is said on a fan message board when we have been in the gutter the last few years then they are delusional.

It's the off season , I just wanted to bring up a interesting topic we can discuss. That being said I really hope for a 2 - 1 start. The Rice game will be a good measure on how good we are/aren't

• Upvote 5

We'd have to be obliterated in the first 3 games for myself, and most likely Rick, to consider an early season firing. As previously mentioned, Dodge has no more control over offense and defense is up to Deloach...so you can't really fault Dodge completely unless he somehow overrides Chico's decisions and starts going for it on every 4th down or something.

As Yogi Berra might say...it takes a full season to see how many games a coach can win in a full season! This whole concept of "fire Dodge" based on some hypothetical start to the season amuses me, but also tires me. It's like beating the same dead horse over and over. Any true fan of the Mean green is more than a little frustrated about the way the last few seasons have gone. And, I, like 99% of the other members of the Mean Green nation know Coach Dodge is in a "make or break" year with the Mean Green. Given that everyone knows the situation, let's just see how it plays out. I think the loyal fans will be treated to a great season and at least six wins.

Every team out there is 0-0 for now heading into the new season. It is a time to get excited about college football and how the Mean Green will do this year. It is not the time to drag out the same old worn out topics. No offense meant to NT03 and I am not aiming these comments at him personally, just everyone who wants to play the "fire Dodge" game over and over and over given this or that record. We will all know how it turns out given time and the season's outcome. Sure, message boards are for whatever you want to say, so NT03 has every "right" to start the thread. However, as for me, I choose to look at the season in a positive light. I believe the Mean Green faithful are going to be rewarded for their support these past few down years.

2010 will see the Mean Green come storming back, and we'll be witness to the return of the "Mean" in the Mean Green!

GO MEAN GREEN. I am so ready for some Mean Green football. Bring it on!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I disagree with the notion that this board be blindly rah-rah so as not to harm the delicate psyche of the team, parents, coaches, fans etc.

Also, I think this far out from the season is when we can get the best view of the Big Picture.

It would be a nightmare scenario if we let Canales coach this team. 1) I don't think he is all that great 2) It would mean we sucked to start out and that ain't cool, man.

But, to answer the thread question: 0-3 = fire the dude. Lame duck coach < Interim coach

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I disagree with the notion that this board be blindly rah-rah so as not to harm the delicate psyche of the team, parents, coaches, fans etc.

Also, I think this far out from the season is when we can get the best view of the Big Picture.

It would be a nightmare scenario if we let Canales coach this team. 1) I don't think he is all that great 2) It would mean we sucked to start out and that ain't cool, man.

But, to answer the thread question: 0-3 = fire the dude. Lame duck coach < Interim coach

If a message board has ever effected the way a player plays or the way a coach coaches then we have even bigger problems than I thought

If anything putting something out there that is " negative " should only motivate both players & coaches more

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I am never in favor of firing a coach mid season. What does that get us? Promoting one of the assistants doesn't help the team get better. I don't think that you can reasonably assume with this staff that if Dodge goes we are keeping anyone and that we are training our next coach.

I am never in favor of firing a coach mid season. What does that get us? Promoting one of the assistants doesn't help the team get better. I don't think that you can reasonably assume with this staff that if Dodge goes we are keeping anyone and that we are training our next coach.

So your in favor of lameduckin' it through the rest of the season after an 0-3 start? eek.