Looking Ahead

cdizzle86

I was/am excited about Holmen as well, but it was hard to get him alot of minutes this year with the way Tramiel and Odufuwa played coupled with alot of games that we fell behind early, and having to dig out (therefore needing Tramiel and Odufuwa on the court as much as possible).

I think we'll see more of him next year with Eric gone. I also hope to see more of Alzee at the point to get him ready for his Jr. & Sr. years.

Desmond Yates sat out his first year as a redshirt.

His first year on the floor, as a redshirt freshman, he played 24.7 minutes per game, 2nd in minutes per game among all MTSU's frontcourt players. Yates averaged 10.9 points and 4 rebounds. He was one of only 2 Blue Raiders to average more than 8.7 points per game.

Jacob played as a true freshman and only averaged 13.5 minutes per game. If you take his averages and extrapolate out to the same amount of time Yates played as a redshirt freshman (not a perfect measure, but a reasonable approximation for the sake of comparison)... Jacob would have averaged 8.8 points and 4.4 rebounds.

Considering what Jacob did as a true freshman getting irregular minutes backing up a dominant frontcourt and with a lineup full of other, preferred scoring options... I'm very optimistic about his future.

I'm not saying he's going to develop into the next Desmond Yates. But I think that if you take his numbers in context, Holmen didn't have too bad a year. It'll be interesting to see how the minutes are split next year between him, Kedrick, and Alonzo Edwards.

I think Holmen will be very good. He has a nice 15-18 foot jumper, can play around the basket, is very athletic. Its amazing what experience and maturing does for you. I think he will be very good. Alzee came on late and i think he is going to be very good as well. I would like to see us go get a lights out shooting guard, preferably a freshman.

I think Holmen will be very good. He has a nice 15-18 foot jumper, can play around the basket, is very athletic. Its amazing what experience and maturing does for you. I think he will be very good. Alzee came on late and i think he is going to be very good as well. I would like to see us go get a lights out shooting guard, preferably a freshman.

Holmen had to make the adjustment of seeing guys just as big and athletic as he is every game. It's a learning process. In high school, it was either a perimeter shot or a dunk for Holman. He needs to learn how to get his shot and how to play with his back to the basket, which he will. He also needs to learn how to play position defense. This is his glaring weakness, at least to me. He has the good fortune to not have to many expectations heaped on his shoulders until his junior season.

I expect you will see him average around 9 and 5 next year, playing about 20 minutes a game. Hogans will be back and Edwards will probably be ahead of Holman developmentally. Nice luxury to have.

As far as the last scholarship, please God, please, give us a true point guard.

I'd rather add more size on the interior. We didn't lose because of Josh...we lost because we weren't deep enough in the paint.

We lost for a variety of reason, the main one being that they were flat out a better basketball team and could roll out 6'9" athletic guy after 6'9" athletic guy from thier bench.

Josh was to short to get his shot, could not create, and was a non-factor, and that is also a part of the reason we lost. Point guard should be the highest priority for the last scholarship.

If I recall with Tramiel and George in the lineup we were -3 on the day. When we were missing one or the other or both ...we were -17. To me that says if we had more quality interior guys we coulda stayed with them. Now I know post players don't grow on trees....but it tells me we need to look for a transfer/JUCO/Freshmen post.

And hope the ones we have now develop.

• Upvote 1

If I recall with Tramiel and George in the lineup we were -3 on the day. When we were missing one or the other or both ...we were -17. To me that says if we had more quality interior guys we coulda stayed with them. Now I know post players don't grow on trees....but it tells me we need to look for a transfer/JUCO/Freshmen post.

And hope the ones we have now develop.

Wouldn't adding Kedrick Hogans back into the fold go a long way towards improving interior depth? I think between Odufuwa, Hogans, Edwards, Spencer and Holman...and maybe Knox...JJ considers the front-court set for next season.

If Babb, or another good D-1 transfer, is a legit possibility, I think that has to be priority number 1. After that, I'd take Kevin Olekaibe...the freshman scoring guard from Las Vegas.

Adding a point guard to next season's roster seems moot...behind DJ and Josh...and to a lesser extent Alzee...what ever PG is added next year isn't going to crack the PG rotation.

I think the only place JJ could add a player that would really help this team NEXT season with the final scholarship would be to add a JUCO shooting guard to push Collin and Alzee for the 5th guard spot next season. I think looking to 2011-12 is more important with the last scholarship.

I was hoping Jacob Holmen would really contribute this past year because he was highly touted coming out of high school. I know he's very young, but i'm interested in everybodys opinions on him for the future.

I am very excited about Holmen's future at North Texas. As pointed out already by others, Holmen was very productive in the minutes that he was allotted. He is only going to get better. A lot better.

Remember, this was Holmen's first season playing against other big men, and this will be Holmen's first spring and summer to work out in a college weight program. Prior to this past fall Holmen didn't specialize in only in basketball at Whitehouse as he also starred on the track team.

I predict that Holmen with have upper body strength resembling Quincy Williams by next season without losing any of his quickness, and by his junior year will be a monster at power forward.

Edited by ADLER

Anyone else thing Holmen might end up as another Harold Stewart? I know it's still early but he just doesn't seem to have any standout skills on the court

No. Holman has already put up better numbers as a freshman than Stew did at any point in his career. Whether or not they're good shots, Holman has legit range to 17 feet...20'9" with all kinds of time and space...and thats something Stew never had. Holman just needs to mature and vastly improve his shot selection.

No. Holman has already put up better numbers as a freshman than Stew did at any point in his career. Whether or not they're good shots, Holman has legit range to 17 feet...20'9" with all kinds of time and space...and thats something Stew never had. Holman just needs to mature and vastly improve his shot selection.

Numbers yes, but Stewarts forte was defense, a part of the game Holmen is just getting aquainted with. Holmen if he works hard has the physical ability to be very good, but playing behind Spencer at the end of the year shows he still has a long way to go.

I really like the upside for Holmen. If he really has a 42 inch vertical along with his other talents, he sure should be able to develop into a great rebounder/defensive player as well as become a serious scorer down low. KSU's quick rebounding and putbacks, as well as our inability to do the same pretty much kept us from having a chance to get into that game. Sure hope Holmen has a great off season. Incidentally, did anyone catch one of the CBS announcers (forgot which one) near the end of the game question in dismay that Holmen, as one of the best players in Texas, chose to go to school down in Denton at North Texas? Kinda hacked me off since I wasn't exactly in a great mood at that point anyway.