Canales, Recruiting Possibilites

Besides the obvious fact that he's developed games plans for I-A/FBS school for well over a decade, I think Canales would give us the opportunity to open the recruiting up beyond what we've seen in the past - even moreso than when Dickey was here.

The guy was at Snow JC for years, and they are a regular JUCO power. His years of service there, added to what Gandy is already bringing to the table, would pretty much give us JUCO pull from coast to coast.

Like Texas, Florida is a state that produces a wealth of football talent. Canales has been helping USF recruit against the instate Florida powers with some success. I like the idea of having that known connection to Florida prep coaches.

There's alot of speed in Florida and if Canales could just bring in one per year that'd be a plus. And, Florida kids - like Texas kids - seem to have no reservation about leaving the state to get playing time.

Sorry guys, I'm just excited that we really may be getting this guy on board. He's got experience in the Pac-10, the ACC, the Big East, and the NFL in additional to coaching with one of the godfathers of the college pass game, LaVell Edwards at BYU.

This would be the biggest coaching hire at UNT since we had Hayden Fry on the sideline. I'm really hoping this dream comes true. We've needed some really great news here for a long time.

• Upvote 7

Besides the obvious fact that he's developed games plans for I-A/FBS school for well over a decade, I think Canales would give us the opportunity to open the recruiting up beyond what we've seen in the past - even moreso than when Dickey was here.

The guy was at Snow JC for years, and they are a regular JUCO power. His years of service there, added to what Gandy is already bringing to the table, would pretty much give us JUCO pull from coast to coast.

Like Texas, Florida is a state that produces a wealth of football talent. Canales has been helping USF recruit against the instate Florida powers with some success. I like the idea of having that known connection to Florida prep coaches.

There's alot of speed in Florida and if Canales could just bring in one per year that'd be a plus. And, Florida kids - like Texas kids - seem to have no reservation about leaving the state to get playing time.

Sorry guys, I'm just excited that we really may be getting this guy on board. He's got experience in the Pac-10, the ACC, the Big East, and the NFL in additional to coaching with one of the godfathers of the college pass game, LaVell Edwards at BYU. This would be the biggest coaching hire at UNT since we had Hayden Fry on the sideline. I'm really hoping this dream comes true. We've needed some really great news here for a long time.

that's exactly what i was thinking with the recruiting and learning under the originator of the spread offense. this would be a great addition if it gets done!

All great points TFLF. I was curious if there's a list of players who certain assistants contacted/recruited on some sort of database (rivals or scout for example)? It'd be interesting to see how committed the kids were to the coach versus the institution.

Recruited B.J. Daniels to USF out of Tallahassee when FSU ignored the hometown boy:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/3086/3086

Recruited Willie Tuitama to Arizona: http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/related/33996

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=3662100

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-usf-commits-react-to-leavitt-firing,0,1977794.story

http://southflorida.scout.com/2/928677.html

Sorry guys, I'm just excited that we really may be getting this guy on board. He's got experience in the Pac-10, the ACC, the Big East, and the NFL in additional to coaching with one of the godfathers of the college pass game, LaVell Edwards at BYU.

This would be the biggest coaching hire at UNT since we had Hayden Fry on the sideline. I'm really hoping this dream comes true. We've needed some really great news here for a long time.

$omething tell$ me that Canale$ i$n't gonna be here. Anyone have any gue$$e$ a$ to why?

• Downvote 1

Good post, and I have to agree. Canales will attract recruits for sure with his pedigree. Huge get for UNT, and big time hire.

Anyone notice the downfield passing in that video against Florida State? I know FSU struggled this season, but c'mon it's Doak Campbell Stadium and they always have NFL caliber athletes. Also, the throwback across the field to the TE in the corner of the endzone was beautiful!

Ah, yes! The dreaded tight end!

Here's highlights of the USF win over Western Kentucky from last year...first play shown? From the 1...two tight end set, QB behind center...handoff...TOUCHDOWN!

Rick, we have our man! He understands what to do at the goal line!

This is a guy I wish Canales would immediately call:

Tarean Austin

He's interested in two Sunbelt schools and he's open to leaving the state of Florida, since he appears to be leaning to Western Kentucky.

Canales probably had a "hit list" of potentials in his pocket that he's pull out and is now working on.

This is a guy I wish Canales would immediately call:

Tarean Austin

He's interested in two Sunbelt schools and he's open to leaving the state of Florida, since he appears to be leaning to Western Kentucky.

Looks like from the Rivals page, he's committed to...New Mexico??? :o

List of the 5 Canales recruits he signed in 2009 and the ones he was targeting.

http://usf.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Year=2009&Sport=1&Coach=528

If any of these guys ever decided to transfer or are unhappy with their current situation maybe they give ol Mike a call ???

• Upvote 1