K-state Game Date Changed?

NT80

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My hometown is across the highway from Groves, Texas. Does that count?

Then I guess you know how much better Brett Duhon was as an 'Athlete' than Dodge was at PA Jeff. Enough said... Go PN-G over PA Jeff...ANYDAY!!! Wait, PA Jeff is no more...like Dodge SHOULD BE at North Texas!!!!

I am going to guess that K State tried to get out of this game and this is what happened. Notice that they still have a spot available at the beggining of the year? That whole To Be Decided stuff? Well, K State learned its lesson this year with playing a Belt team too early in the season when UL-Lafayette beat them. The good thing is that K State also learned the hard way that scheduling two IAA's will keep you out of a bowl - despite being 6-6, they could not get a bowl invite due to two IAA wins and only one can count. So they probably told us to take it or leave it. Of course we are going to take it - we are North Texas and this will be the 2nd Big 12 school to EVER visit Fouts (Baylor being the first since the Big 12 formed). Thanksgiving is THURSDAY. How long do you guys celebrate? I am done with it by the time I hit the turkey the third time. I might hit up Black Friday for a couple of sales but other than that, Turkey day is done by Saturday. What is the problem? The students? The K-State fans will more than make up for those students that go home... and they have to be back by Monday for school anyway - its not like they are off for a full week or anything. I can't wait for this game and I predict - WE WIN!

Edited by stebo

Wow - from the sounds of some of these replies, I guess DFW is a ghost town during Thanksgiving weekend!

I'm hoping that out-of-town visitors to my house will actually swell our family's attendance at the game by at least double.

i was thinking the same thing. people make it seem like it's a ghost town in denton that weekend. sure, the attendance is a worse, but the teams aren't exactly stellar. maybe this will change some peoples mind about going to a game, but i'll be there with the wifey and any family that comes to town for the weekend. we don't all leave...especially if there is a game that saturday!

I am going to guess that K State tried to get out of this game and this is what happened. Notice that they still have a spot available at the beggining of the year? That whole To Be Decided stuff? Well, K State learned its lesson this year with playing a Belt team too early in the season when UL-Lafayette beat them. The good thing is that K State also learned the hard way that scheduling two IAA's will keep you out of a bowl - despite being 6-6, they could not get a bowl invite due to two IAA wins and only one can count. So they probably told us to take it or leave it. Of course we are going to take it - we are North Texas and this will be the 2nd Big 12 school to EVER visit Fouts (Baylor being the first since the Big 12 formed). Thanksgiving is THURSDAY. How long do you guys celebrate? I am done with it by the time I hit the turkey the third time. I might hit up Black Friday for a couple of sales but other than that, Turkey day is done by Saturday. What is the problem? The students? The K-State fans will more than make up for those students that go home... and they have to be back by Monday for school anyway - its not like they are off for a full week or anything. I can't wait for this game and I predict - WE WIN!

You know two big problems for this time of year in Denton, one several people go out of town for Thanksgiving and they just don't care about UNT football enough to adjust their plans and hell why should they we suck. Second is this game is last or second to the last game of the year, though I hope Dodge figures out how to coach in D1 football in all likely hood we will be at the end of a bad season with a big butt kicking coming at home. Then just to top it off the weather in Denton can be really rotten, and our fans just don't care enough to brave the elements, see earlier statement why should they we suck.

And that is a big prediction, it would be nice to win. Then again maybe Deloach will be the interim coach by then. If he is I think our odds will be better.

Many of you assume this will be the last weekend or game at Fouts. Well, there could be another week of football the following weekend as some teams had to schedule this year. And if you're counting on a ton of K-State fans to fill the stands, don't forget it is their Thanksgiving weekend too. Many of them won't travel to Denton that weekend or the end of their season like they might at the start of the season.

Many of you assume this will be the last weekend or game at Fouts. Well, there could be another week of football the following weekend as some teams had to schedule this year. And if you're counting on a ton of K-State fans to fill the stands, don't forget it is their Thanksgiving weekend too. Many of them won't travel to Denton that weekend or the end of their season like they might at the start of the season.

but remember, only north texas has major issues with thanksgiving games...not other schools...heavens no!!!

I've purchased season tickets the past five years, but I've never attended on Thanksgiving weekend. Next year I WILL because it's K-State!!

dude...what???? you miss a game??? come on now! who cares if it's thanksgiving or not...be there!!!! it's good times!!!!

edit....i don't know how to quote multiple posts so i just do it in separate posts...

Edited by radiogreen

A few of you people have some lousy memories.

North Texas vs Ark State. Nov 26th, 2005: In Denton two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance: 7,691

North Texas vs ULM. Nov 25th, 2006: In Monroe two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance:12,107

North Texas vs WKY. Nov 24th, 2007: In Denton two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance:5,027........if that????

North Texas vs Ark State. Nov 29th, 2008: In Denton two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance:9,761

North Texas vs Ark State. Nov 28th, 2009: In Jonesboro two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance:8754

Nah, there's not a damn reason for anyone to be concerned about hosting yet another game on Thanksgiving weekend.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

North Texas vs Ark State. Nov 26th, 2005: In Denton two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance: 7,691

North Texas vs ULM. Nov 25th, 2006: In Monroe two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance:12,107

North Texas vs WKY. Nov 24th, 2007: In Denton two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance:5,027........if that????

North Texas vs Ark State. Nov 29th, 2008: In Denton two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance:9,761

North Texas vs Ark State. Nov 28th, 2009: In Jonesboro two days after Thanksgiving. Attendance:8754

Nah, there's not a damn reason for anyone to be concerned about hosting yet another game on Thanksgiving weekend.

Rick

so send those numbers to Rick V and complain about it some more....or just get some people out to the game and enjoy it for what it is... A NORTH TEXAS HOME GAME!!!!

Rick

Yes, that's the attendance figures from people that have already paid for their tickets; season ticket holders and students. From a cash flow perspective, it doesn't really matter whether they show up or not.

All the tickets sold to KSU fans will be additional cash.

When all else fails, follow the money trail. And, there was probably an additional financial incentive from KSU for moving this game.

I give up - we should just cancel the game. The K-State coach was very vocal in several newspapers that he wanted to cancel this game. I am going to bet that they did everything that they could to try and get out of it. Showing our attendance from the last 5 losing seasons is not a good barometer Rick - because we were playing for nothing but pride and the teams were non-marquee schools. K State... on any day... in Denton (at Fouts), is a good thing. Since the Big 12 was formed, we have only been able to talk one other school to play AT Fouts and that was lowly Baylor. Do you remember how fun that was? Why would we just cancel the game because of the weekend? Make the best of it and start planning now! Can't wait to see big time football in what might be Fouts' last football game!

By the way - HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope that everyone is being safe tonight out in Mean Green land!

Edited by stebo

If we are not in Mobile or New Orleans this will be our bowl game! It reminds me of those games at the end of Hawaii's season where the Warriors played Wisconsin, Washington and Michigan State. They went to the islands for a pre-bowl game and to Hawaii fan it was a nice carrot at the end of the season stick. Think of how great it would be to end our reign in Fouts with a win over the program that built it's legacy starting with a win over us back in the 80's.

Make no doubt about it, this is our bowl game and will be a bigger opponent than we will play in the bowl (I can glass overflowit right? It's New Years!)

So nut it up, get on the marketing trail and let's make this bowl game meaningful! It's up to us and we must be those gracious hosts that send them back to the little apple with a buttkicking!

GMG

P.S. - my first Vegas New Years - it rocked!

so send those numbers to Rick V and complain about it some more....or just get some people out to the game and enjoy it for what it is... A NORTH TEXAS HOME GAME!!!!

No, I like posting them here to give the excuse-making lemmings more material to make more excuses for moves like this.

Stebo Showing our attendance from the last 5 losing seasons is not a good barometer Rick

Sure it is because besides the fact that we are still losing, and other than the '03 season, we didn't make it a common practice to do something so retarded as to play on the week or weekend everyone goes out of town for vacation to visit family when we were winning('01-'04). I can't find the announced attendance for that '03 game against New Mexico State, which was played on Tuesday, November 25th, 2003, two days before Thanksgiving, and was televised on ESPN. But I was there and I'd generously give the attendance a guess at 13,000-15,000?

Regardless as to why this game was moved doesn't change the fact that it will affect the attendance negatively compared to what it would have been originally.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

No, I like posting them here to give the excuse-making lemmings more material to make more excuses for moves like this.

Sure it is because besides the fact that we are still losing, and other than the '03 season, we didn't make it a common practice to do something so retarded as to play on the week or weekend everyone goes out of town for vacation to visit family when we were winning('01-'04). I can't find the announced attendance for that '03 game against New Mexico State, which was played on Tuesday, November 25th, 2003, two days before Thanksgiving, and was televised on ESPN. But I was there and I'd generously give the attendance a guess at 13,000-15,000?

Regardless as to why this game was moved doesn't change the fact that it will affect the attendance negatively compared to what it would have been originally.

Rick

Fair enough - I say that it sells out. And a sell out before Turkey Day or after Turkey Day looks the same on paper to me. Let's say that it doesn't sell out - let's say that we get - gulp - 25,000 people there for it. K-State wanted to CANCEL this game. I would bet ANY amount of money that this was their way of screwing us when we HELD OUR GROUND. Look at their schedule, they have an OPEN spot the second week of the season. But when do we have a better chance of winning the game? In week 2 or week 11 or 12? Something to think about. We should be praising our AD for holding this game together, not complaining about the date in my opinion.

Edited by stebo

For all my life, I've been told that North Texas is a commutter school. So if that's true, and I don't think it is, commute your green self back the same distance you travel for your MWF school day.

And what would NT fans do, by the way, if we were to be so lucky to be invited to say, the Hawaii Bowl ? "Hawaii's too far." "Hawaii is too hot." "I'm having my in-laws over that day." "I can't stand leis."

It makes me wonder is North Texas is ready for prime time.

Beat Kansas State

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe

If we are not in Mobile or New Orleans this will be our bowl game! It reminds me of those games at the end of Hawaii's season where the Warriors played Wisconsin, Washington and Michigan State. They went to the islands for a pre-bowl game and to Hawaii fan it was a nice carrot at the end of the season stick. Think of how great it would be to end our reign in Fouts with a win over the program that built it's legacy starting with a win over us back in the 80's.

Make no doubt about it, this is our bowl game and will be a bigger opponent than we will play in the bowl (I can glass overflowit right? It's New Years!)

So nut it up, get on the marketing trail and let's make this bowl game meaningful! It's up to us and we must be those gracious hosts that send them back to the little apple with a buttkicking!

GMG

P.S. - my first Vegas New Years - it rocked!

So, you are saying we will be 4-7 (assuming this is the last game of the year) going into the K-State game, yet you expect a victory? If you are calling this our "bowl game", I assume you don't expect us to make one, thus our best record going into this game would be 4-7.

This game on this date will draw maybe 18K, whereas if it was played in the warm September sun, it would easily draw 25 - 28k. If you don't see this, you are only fooling yourselves.

So, you are saying we will be 4-7 (assuming this is the last game of the year) going into the K-State game, yet you expect a victory? If you are calling this our "bowl game", I assume you don't expect us to make one, thus our best record going into this game would be 4-7.

This game on this date will draw maybe 18K, whereas if it was played in the warm September sun, it would easily draw 25 - 28k. If you don't see this, you are only fooling yourselves.

First off, K State only beat 4 Div I teams this year. And they got beat by the Louisiana Cajuns - so I think that a win is very attainable. Secondly, I will bet you $1,000 right now - without knowing a thing about next season's record when we play K-State - they we will draw more than 18K. In fact, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you were trying to make some point and say that we have over 22K. North Texas fans have no pride. They do not believe in their own fan base. They bitch and moan and complain about even the GOOD things that happen. We get a Big 12 team to come and you complain about the day that the other school most likely demanded. You get a new stadium and you complain about the design. I am seriously sick of it. So put your money where your mouth is - we will give the grand to the athletic department as part of the stadium campaign - and you will have to admit to this board that you were talking out of your ass because you like to complain like a little girl about everything that is North Texas.

Either you don't follow North Texas or you don't read threads thoroughly. K State tried to BACK OUT OF THIS GAME. It was either - we cancel the game - or we accept the date that they provided for us. What would you have North Texas do, cancel the freaking game? If you believe that is the right decision - than YOU are fooling yourself.

Edited by stebo

First off, K State only beat 4 Div I teams this year. And they got beat by the Louisiana Cajuns - so I think that a win is very attainable. Secondly, I will bet you $1,000 right now - without knowing a thing about next season's record when we play K-State - they we will draw more than 18K. In fact, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you were trying to make some point and say that we have over 22K. North Texas fans have no pride. They do not believe in their own fan base. They bitch and moan and complain about even the GOOD things that happen. We get a Big 12 team to come and you complain about the day that the other school most likely demanded. You get a new stadium and you complain about the design. I am seriously sick of it. So put your money where your mouth is - we will give the grand to the athletic department as part of the stadium campaign - and you will have to admit to this board that you were talking out of your ass because you like to complain like a little girl about everything that is North Texas.

Either you don't follow North Texas or you don't read threads thoroughly. K State tried to BACK OUT OF THIS GAME. It was either - we cancel the game - or we accept the date that they provided for us. What would you have North Texas do, cancel the freaking game? If you believe that is the right decision - than YOU are fooling yourself.

Where did this come from? Just wondering, or is it a guess? Bitch and cry people take this to the extreme, our record past record for attendance late in the season, especially Thanksgiving weekend is poor. We have no reason to think that will change much by next year unless we are really winning. I don't think it is a shot at our fans to reflect on the truth, this game no matter what the turn out the Saturday after Thanksgiving is would have had a much higher turnout earlier in the season. I think we may see a bunch of local K-State fans show up even at this date. But I am fairly sure our UNT fans will be down, well unless we are winning and on our way to New Orleans. I would even take it one step further if we beat K-State this weekend we are going to a bowl.

Where did this come from? Just wondering, or is it a guess? Bitch and cry people take this to the extreme, our record past record for attendance late in the season, especially Thanksgiving weekend is poor. We have no reason to think that will change much by next year unless we are really winning. I don't think it is a shot at our fans to reflect on the truth, this game no matter what the turn out the Saturday after Thanksgiving is would have had a much higher turnout earlier in the season. I think we may see a bunch of local K-State fans show up even at this date. But I am fairly sure our UNT fans will be down, well unless we are winning and on our way to New Orleans. I would even take it one step further if we beat K-State this weekend we are going to a bowl.

Here you go:

Kansas State Trying To Get Out Of Game In Denton:

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...hl=kansas+state

One game away

The nonconference portion of Kansas State’s 2010 football schedule is almost complete. Next season the Wildcats will play host to UCLA, Central Florida and Missouri State. K-State’s fourth game is yet to be determined.

The Wildcats had previously planned on playing a road game at North Texas, but Snyder said “that may not happen.” It is his desire to play all four nonconference games at home.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1605677.html

Notice that it says "HAD PREVIOUSLY planned to play North Texas" - this article tells me that K State (at the time it was written) had every intention of cancelling this game. We were originally scheduled to play them on 9/25. Maybe that date will remain. It really doesn't matter - the point is that with 11 months notice, we should be capable of planning accordingly for this game, no?

Edited by stebo

Here you go:

Kansas State Trying To Get Out Of Game In Denton:

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...hl=kansas+state

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1605677.html

Notice that it says "HAD PREVIOUSLY planned to play North Texas" - this article tells me that K State (at the time it was written) had every intention of cancelling this game. We were originally scheduled to play them on 9/25. Maybe that date will remain. It really doesn't matter - the point is that with 11 months notice, we should be capable of planning accordingly for this game, no?

I read all that, just not sure where the thanksgiving weekend came up as take it or leave it? I would assume we were paid to move it, but I am guessing as well.

I read all that, just not sure where the thanksgiving weekend came up as take it or leave it? I would assume we were paid to move it, but I am guessing as well.

K-state owed us a game in 2010...just a game, at some point, during the 2010 season. Soooooo, if k-state calls us and says "we will come there thanksgiving weekend" the choices are two-fold. Say "ok, see you then" or "no, we refuse to play a game thanksgiving weekend so we'll cancel the contract". There is no leverage for a third option since they've done what they were obligated to do.

And here's something else to think about. IF our schedule shook out in such a way that thanksgiving weekend had to be a home game (and we could debate the merits of letting this happen AGAIN) what would you do if you were RV? Play a team like ULM or FIU, or move your one "marquee" game to this date in hopes of having their drawing power keep some of your fanbase interested on this weekend?

Botoom line is this, it isn't ideal but it may have been the only choice.