Qb Recruit Better Than Riley Dodge?

Keith7

I noticed they've given QB commit Javia Hall a 3-star / 5.6 rating on rivals. Riley was a 3-star / 5.7 coming out of high school. The difference is that Hall is about three / four inches taller with room to put on some weight. Does anyone think he could be a better fit for the Dodge offense or will he likely be moved to another position?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recr...avia-Hall-87813

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything that leads anyone to believe that Hall could run the offense better other than the fact he is taller?

His TD to INT ratio. Granted, these are high school numbers but if has actually been coached up to be this careful then I think he deserves a fair shot.

My expectation though is that in reality this kid will only be allowed to be a threat to Tune's job.

you really think td will let his last season at unt be determined by a new freshman qb while riley sits and watches?

I think and hope that TD pulls all stops, from practice to game planning to do what it takes to win. To me that means which ever QB can get it done, maybe more then one.

His TD to INT ratio. Granted, these are high school numbers but if has actually been coached up to be this careful then I think he deserves a fair shot.

My expectation though is that in reality this kid will only be allowed to be a threat to Tune's job.

Rileys TD/INT numbers were about the same as Hall in HS. And had a lesser WR corps to work with.

Riley's turnover ratio should go down as he matures/gets used to the speed of college.

I would not be convinced Javia could immediately come in and unseat a kid who has grown up in this offense, but I do like the idea of having someone under center with better arm strength than 2009 Riley.

Who knows? No one. Maybe 2010 Riley will have a stronger arm than anyone.

Who knows? No one. Maybe 2010 Riley will have a stronger arm than anyone.

Wouldn't count on it. Name me one college QB that has come into college with a weak arm and left with a strong one. Doesn't happen. About the only way would be through performance enhancing drugs.

It's one of those god given things. You got it or you don't.

Rileys TD/INT numbers were about the same as Hall in HS. And had a lesser WR corps to work with.

Did he? I think Riley's SLC teams were better than Hall's Skyline team. They went farther, beat people worse, put up more yards, had infinitely more tradition, coaching, and resources. You can argue pure talent at Skyline all you want (implying that, let's face it, SLC has more "lunchpail" guys), but Riley was plugged into a long standing system that had had year in year out success full of all-district guys... SLC had success before Riley (McElroy, Daniel) and after (Padron), each going as far or farther than Skyline ever did.

To say Riley had "lesser WRs to work with" implies he did more with less than Hall ever did... I just happen to disagree with that. In the hopeless vacuum of destitute DISD football, Hall led Skyline from the ashes with no tradition whatsoever, and a team that never approached the success of Riley's worst team. What Hall did at Skyline is far, far more impressive to me. JMHO.

Hall is a great shotgun QB prospect; period! Unless he's in for some gimmick play, I doubt he will ever see another position at UNT; or wherever he signs. An Andrew Smith type with a rifle arm. Because of a weaker schedule, Skyline did not pass as much as other spread offenses in the area. Despite very good statistical numbers, they lacked the monster numbers of a Scotty Young (Ryan) or Matt Joeckel (Arlington). It appears to have helped UNT by remaining off the radar of higher profile programs.

He could use a redshirt year to gain 10-15 pounds and get acclimated to the system. I don't think he will command immediate playing time ahead of the other guys. However, as a true freshman, there will not be a drop off in talent or production; if pressed into service. He is too frail right now to be a running type QB. He is, however, extremely quick and elusive in the pocket (more so than the others, including Dodge) We just need his signature!

As stated previously, I look for William Cole to take some snaps out of the Wildcat offense. (decent enough arm to keep the defenses honest)

He could use a redshirt year to gain 10-15 pounds and get acclimated to the system. I don't think he will command immediate playing time ahead of the other guys. However, as a true freshman, there will not be a drop off in talent or production; if pressed into service. He is too frail right now to be a running type QB. He is, however, extremely quick and elusive in the pocket (more so than the others, including Dodge) We just need his signature!

I say we use him for 2 minutes in 2010 !!!

Edited by NT03