Non-aq Coaches Continue To Fall

KingDL1

A little suprised that Weatherbaby is out at ULM. They weren't paying him anything and I doubt that they will be able to find a comparable coach on their budget. ULM has the lowest budget in all of the Belt (around $8 million a year for the entire athletic dept). I think that Weatherbie was making right at $180K but maybe it was a little more. They had him for the first year at $1 buck because he wanted to screw over Navy. Navy had to pay him the other $999,999.00 that he was guaranteed (previous contract of a million a year). I believe that ULM gave him around $80K a year for his second year with Navy and our tax dollars covering the other $920K... and then he has gone up a little each year since his old Navy contract expired. I always thought that Dickey would do something like this but we were not competent enough to put in a clause that stated if he was let go and found another job - we will subsidize the difference of the contracts. I see that the lesson has been learned with Dodge and I am sure that Dickey is happy to have his half million in the bank as USU and UNM probably paid him enough to live off of.

Back to Weatherbie - his record hasn't been that bad but their attendance is absolutely pathetic/terrible. If anyone thinks that NT is a tough place to coach at - they need to drive to Monroe, LA. Fun place to tailgate in the Grove but I think that I would want to shoot myself if I was ever forced to live there.

Edited by stebo

Back to Weatherbie - his record hasn't been that bad but their attendance is absolutely pathetic/terrible. If anyone thinks that NT is a tough place to coach at - they need to drive to Monroe, LA. Fun place to tailgate in the Grove but I think that I would want to shoot myself if I was ever forced to live there.

And yet they fired their coach instead of whining about being "competitive" or "progress". Even the most downtrodden amongst our conference brethren have a little something called pride.

Guest GrayEagleOne

All the coaches were there for more than THREE years.....

Let's be realistic..............

Here's realism....

I just scanned the records of every NCAA coach since its existence in cfbdatawarehouse.com. There are several thousand listings. I found about 20 coaches who coached more than 10 games that had a poorer record than Todd Dodge that lasted more than three years. All but five of those were at small schools. Of the five, one had exactly the same record as Dodge and was fired at the end of his third year. He was Fred vonAppen, who was at Hawaii from 1996-98. The four that made it to their fourth year were Peter Stevens (Temple), Doug Weaver (Kansas State), Joe Avezzano (Oregon State) and Carl Franks (Duke). None were successful in their fourth year.

Admittedly, if anyone was more successful after their third year they would not be in this study but I did a lot of random searches of coaches and found no one that was able to overcome the stigma of having a less than .500 percentage in each of their first three years.

Here's realism....

I just scanned the records of every NCAA coach since its existence in cfbdatawarehouse.com. There are several thousand listings. I found about 20 coaches who coached more than 10 games that had a poorer record than Todd Dodge that lasted more than three years. All but five of those were at small schools. Of the five, one had exactly the same record as Dodge and was fired at the end of his third year. He was Fred vonAppen, who was at Hawaii from 1996-98. The four that made it to their fourth year were Peter Stevens (Temple), Doug Weaver (Kansas State), Joe Avezzano (Oregon State) and Carl Franks (Duke). None were successful in their fourth year.

Admittedly, if anyone was more successful after their third year they would not be in this study but I did a lot of random searches of coaches and found no one that was able to overcome the stigma of having a less than .500 perProxy-Connection: keep-alive

Cache-Control: max-age=0

ntage in each of their first three years.

And of all these coaches, THE MOST SUCCESSFUL ONE finished with EIGHT career victories.

That's right - in the history of CFB, only Four coaches besides Football Trilli were kept on with only 5 wins in 3 years... of those four, the MAXIMUM CAREER WIN TOTAL was 8 total wins. 8.

Chew on that amazing stat for a while.

And of all these coaches, THE MOST SUCCESSFUL ONE finished with EIGHT career victories.

That's right - in the history of CFB, only Four coaches besides Football Trilli were kept on with only 5 wins in 3 years... of those four, the MAXIMUM CAREER WIN TOTAL was 8 total wins. 8.

That is right in line with what I have said for a week now. We will bring back a coach, who had NO experience as a head college coach, with a 5-31 record expecting him to do something in his fourth year that has NEVER been done. You know I am seriously starting to believe, that Dodge will be here the ENTIRE 5 years. If they plan on making no changes this year and bringing back all of the staff and they manage to win 4 or more next year, he WILL be here for his fifth season.

Here's realism....

Admittedly, if anyone was more successful after their third year they would not be in this study but I did a lot of random searches of coaches and found no one that was able to overcome the stigma of having a less than .500 percentage in each of their first three years.

What an amazing stat, thanks for sharing, now, if you'll excuse me...

nw0uc2.gif

That is right in line with what I have said for a week now. We will bring back a coach, who had NO experience as a head college coach, with a 5-31 record expecting him to do something in his fourth year that has NEVER been done. You know I am seriously starting to believe, that Dodge will be here the ENTIRE 5 years. If they plan on making no changes this year and bringing back all of the staff and they manage to win 4 or more next year, he WILL be here for his fifth season.

If the AD gives Dodge a fifth year, it better be because he won 7 games and received an extension. If you all think recruiting is in danger now, it will really tank if we give Dodge a fifth year without an extension. No one would come here under the circumstance of not knowing who the coach will be in 2012. Next year is really it--we either go to a bowl or we get a new coach. Its the silver lining to this thing. And if Dodge gets a 5th season with anything below 7 wins from our university, then you really have to ask yourself if this all is really worth your time, energy, and most importantly, your money. Actually, it may not even be worth it all NOW.

Look at it this way, if we get those 3 wins next season that's one more win than this season and will be a career high for Dodge!

:D

Actually, that is not true. Unless i'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

Joe Novak at Northern Illinios won only 3 games his first 3 years at NIU. Including a loss to UNT.

His 4th year he went 5-6. Then two years of 6-5. Then i think he won 8, 10, and 9 games the next three years. Then a couple of 7-5 type years before going 2-10 and then retiring.

Novak went 3-30 his first three years, then a year of 5-6, then 7 straight winning seasons.

So it can be done, for our sake i hope TD can do it.

Actually, that is not true. Unless i'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

Joe Novak at Northern Illinios won only 3 games his first 3 years at NIU. Including a loss to UNT.

His 4th year he went 5-6. Then two years of 6-5. Then i think he won 8, 10, and 9 games the next three years. Then a couple of 7-5 type years before going 2-10 and then retiring.

Novak went 3-30 his first three years, then a year of 5-6, then 7 straight winning seasons.

So it can be done, for our sake i hope TD can do it.

Was either school FBS (or D1 as it may have been called then) at the time?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Mr. Black, you are right about Joe Novak. I missed him because he wound up with a winning percentage of .453 which I admitted in the second paragraph could happen. I just didn't pick him in the several hundred that I randomly sampled that had a winning percentage greater than .138.

FIU has been in the highest division since 1968 which was more than 20 years before Joe Novak started coaching them.