Looking Beyond The Win Column

James Mosley

Thank you for posting this.

I am not saying that the original poster is wrong... And mr. mosely certainly is entitled to his opinion. But, I have heard from players in the program that have said otherwise.

Yes, we are a few plays away from 6 wins. But, we are also a few plays away from being completely winless. The "if you take away this and that" sort of thing doesn't add up because that can go the other way too. We should just count what really happens.

sorry, i am one of those negative neds that is having a hard time seeing through this. I agree though that it seems that dodge is a pretty good guy that cares about the behavior off the field which I can appreciate. But, i think we can actually find someone like that plus win a few more ball games.

You are not being negative, just calling what you see...it's true though we are just as many plays away from being winless and several more plays away from being 1-2 wins total instead of 5. I hope Mr. Mosley is right but until I see it, I will have my doubts and as TTG posted a story a few weeks ago, the historical numbers of this coach going 8 wins and a bowl after three years like these is VERY low.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Thanks, Mr Mosley, for your insight from a player's parent's perspective. It is very encouraging to hear that there is a positive atmosphere in the locker room, and can see real merit in what you've said here about the narrow misses and what improvement there has been. Combined with the players we expect to see on the field next year, this gives me some optimism. I do however, think that an analytical approach by the coaching staff should lead to remedies for what are valid concerns. Here are a few that I think need to be addressed:

1.) Some teams seem to be able to stop our running game by loading the box; from what I've read, a strategy that can be hard for a spread team to counter. Whether it's personnel or schemes, I think that we could come up with something to both: get our offense to challenge this, and, among other things, hold a lead better by running out some clock.

2.) Teams must be seeing something in the formations or personnel we use to block for our punting unit. Something needs to be done; those blocked punts have been real momentum changers.

3.) Our defense is still giving up too many big plays, especially late. I think the personnel we are using on the line (at this point) can do the job, but Saturday should be a real test for outside containment. I hope we can improve in pass defense over the next two games, especially compared to our last game.

I also want to thank Mr Mosely for his thought provoking post. You are not afraid to speak from the heart sir and I applaud you.

This forum can be brutal enough to scare away any parent. But, I wish that more parents would take the time to publicly support the coaching staff and the university during times like these. Most of us alumni don't have a clue what is going on from the parents perspective. If you as a parent are happy with your son's education both on and off the field, then that is something to uplift all of us. Your comments made my day.

This season has been a heartbreaker . I don't know if I have ever backed a team that has had so many gut-wrenching losses in one season.

Coach Dodge seems like a really good man. I hope that he is able to turn this thing around. And, when he does, I hope that he will not take anything said in this forum personally. While some of the criticisms here can seem pretty harsh, these are just passionate fans that are venting their frustration the only way they know how. Some of Dodge's biggest critics here are guys that give almost all their free time to supporting the team. So, while I may not agree with the negative comments myself, I respect the opinions of those that give so much time and effort to the program. North Texas has too few alumni that really care about the football team.

I remember a comment by Andy Reid (Eagle's coach) a while back. Andy takes a beating in Philly because he has not won a Super Bowl, despite all the playoff success. Andy never holds personal grudges against the fans and always says that he would rather have passionate/angry fans than those that could care less. I hope TD has the same attitude towards fans and their passions.

FWIW, our last coach here lost my support when he dissed the fans, even if it was deserved at times.

Sorry for the personal rant ;)

Edited by akriesman

There have been some excellent points made in this thread. In truth we are only 9 points away from being 5-5 and 16 points away from being 6-4. Indeed, we should be 6-4 but for leads we’ve given up in the fourth quarter. I also believe we dominated all of the close games we’ve both won and lost from a statistical standpoint. I don't remember the specifics anymore but some of the close loses should have been double digit wins but for penalties and mistakes. These are things that can be corrected.

Also, a case can be made that should 7-3 but from some mistakes/bad calls in the Middle Tennessee State game but that's more of a stretch.

Further, most of our players are Freshmen and Sophomores and we have been competitive in most of our games unlike previous years. All of this bodes well for the future.

Having said that, I have concerns about the fact that we don’t have a qb that can both run and throw deep. RD is an excellent runner and he's accurate at short ranges. However, if you can’t throw accurately past thirty yards it means your always in the red zone for practical purposes. The field is shortened no matter where you’re at on the field which is big problem against athletic defenses. I also think we need to utilize a full-back more tight ends etc

Finally, we have big problems with our inability to blitz and/or put any type of pressure on the opposing qb. I thought our defensive woes would be cured when we hired Deloach but obviously that hasn’t happened. Hopefully they can fix the D with recruiting.

In the end, I think we have to stick with Dodge for another year.

He’s making progress. It’s really slow progress but it's progress nonetheless. If we switch coaches right now it could set us back years. I think we just have to hope that Dodge continues to grow and learn.

Having said that, I have concerns about the fact that we don’t have a qb that can both run and throw deep. RD is an excellent runner and he's accurate at short ranges. However, if you can’t throw accurately past thirty yards it means your always in the red zone for practical purposes. The field is shortened no matter where you’re at on the field which is big problem against athletic defenses. I also think we need to utilize a full-back more tight ends etc

RD is a redshirt freshman......and needs to grow through his mistakes & he will. Heck, I think he is an excellent qb for a freshman and will only get better just like the other "ton of freshmen and sophmores" that are playing.

On a side note: the first game of the season, last year, I sat next to Coach Dodge's father, Pastor Dodge. What a dynamic individual this man is and after talking with him one can only come to the conclusion that Coach Dodge is just as dynamic in moral values.

If I had a son I would want him to learn from the Coach.

One of the best posts i've seen all year! You are 100% correct. We could easily be 6-4 right now if we could just FINISH but unfortunately we don't know how to do that just yet but we are getting better. I never worry when we are losing by 20 or less, its when we are winning by 10 or less that I worry about. Give TD some time and mostly give these players some time, not everyone has to be so dang negative on this board. If North Texas limits mistakes, gets the lead early, and keeps their heads high and holds on to the lead, we will win this game!

GO MEAN GREEN! TANK ARMY!

We all value the opinion of Mr. Mosley and appreciate the contribution that his son is making to the program. I do wonder if Mr. Mosley may be a little to close to the situation to evaluate it fairly. I hope he is right. I hope we go bowling next year. I just don't see it.

We could be 6-4 if we scored X more points. Hell, we could be 10-0 if we had won our first ten games. What do those sentences have in common? We didn't do either. It is fools gold to say "if only this" or "if only that". The "if only" graveyard is littered with the skeletons of former college football coaches.

I see a team that is playing far worse than they did their first 2 games of the year, especially defensively and on special teams. Please, someone give me one good reason why they think this team will be better next year. A good reason, not the typical "we are young" excuse that ignores the fact the almost all of our starters have double digit starts at the college level.

Mr. Mosley, I hope your right, I hope this team works their tails off in the off season, gets bigger at every position, focuses on becoming better, and makes all of us who have lost faith eat our words. I am just beginning to wonder if Coach Dodge is in over his head at this level. We all agree that the only thing missing from Todd Dodge the coach is wins. Unfortunately, that is a pretty important component.

We all value the opinion of Mr. Mosley and appreciate the contribution that his son is making to the program. I do wonder if Mr. Mosley may be a little to close to the situation to evaluate it fairly. I hope he is right. I hope we go bowling next year. I just don't see it.

We could be 6-4 if we scored X more points. Hell, we could be 10-0 if we had won our first ten games. What do those sentences have in common? We didn't do either. It is fools gold to say "if only this" or "if only that". The "if only" graveyard is littered with the skeletons of former college football coaches.

I see a team that is playing far worse than they did their first 2 games of the year, especially defensively and on special teams. Please, someone give me one good reason why they think this team will be better next year. A good reason, not the typical "we are young" excuse that ignores the fact the almost all of our starters have double digit starts at the college level.

Mr. Mosley, I hope your right, I hope this team works their tails off in the off season, gets bigger at every position, focuses on becoming better, and makes all of us who have lost faith eat our words. I am just beginning to wonder if Coach Dodge is in over his head at this level. We all agree that the only thing missing from Todd Dodge the coach is wins. Unfortunately, that is a pretty important component.

A good reason: The team competed this year, and with two to three playmakers added to both sides of the ball we dominate the Sun Belt next year. I'm basing all my opinion on the fact that I believe we already have the players on campus and next year they make the plays. The poorly executed stuff you see costing us games this year goes away with what you called double digit college level starts. You can't replace experience. All the players will be wiser from the tough losses this year. Watching the games we lost this year over and over again you will see that it wasn't so much bad play calling, it had more to do with not taking care of your assignment. I've heard many posters talking about past players, players like Booger, do we have a Booger now? We have the Coach who coached him, but do we have the player. Again, it is my opinion that that type of player and more step up next year. I'm just basing my opinion on my strong belief that this team is sold out on what Coach Dodge is preaching, the players needed are in the wing, and it all comes together next year. It only seems right to let the entire group do it together because lately together is all they have. Losing and facing adversity has a way of running off the weak. I'm just proud the players and coaches lock arms and still stand tall when so many have left the battle.

North Texas 41

Army 31

Edited by James Mosley

A good reason: The team competed this year, and with two to three playmakers added to both sides of the ball we dominate the Sun Belt next year. I'm basing all my opinion on the fact that I believe we already have the players on campus and next year they make the plays. The poorly executed stuff you see costing us games this year goes away with what you called double digit college level starts. You can't replace experience. All the players will be wiser from the tough losses this year. Watching the games we lost this year over and over again you will see that it wasn't so much bad play calling, it had more to do with not taking care of your assignment. I've heard many posters talking about past players, players like Booger, do we have a Booger now? We have the Coach who coached him, but do we have the player. Again, it is my opinion that that type of player and more step up next year. I'm just basing my opinion on my strong belief that this team is sold out on what Coach Dodge is preaching, the players needed are in the wing, and it all comes together next year. It only seems right to let the entire group do it together because lately together is all they have. Losing and facing adversity has a way of running off the weak. I'm just proud the players and coaches lock arms and still stand tall when so many have left the battle.

North Texas 41

Army 31

I really, really, really, hope your right.

North Texas 41

Army 31

Well, if this is what we are getting near the end of 3 yrs of TD at the helm, then i don't think I'm up for any more....he, himself said in his last post game interview he made two terrible calls in the red zone...I think there were many more....yes this team has talent on it, it is the coaching that is the problem...lack of urgency when things turn in the wrong direction....lack of agressiviness of the defense...just watch Texas defense and see how aggressive they are...I dn't see this with the UNT defense but I use to see this with the UNT defense when Bogger was playing...we had a very good defense then....now we struggle to be in the game with the bottom of div I teams and usually lose to them...we let 2 TD leads go away..etc.

I will tell you this....schools that really want to win and be champions don't accept this kind of performance....period. UNt has for years but UNt has been the laughing stock of college football for most of the time I have been following it (since about 1975)...teams we use to regularly play and beat (ie boise state) and compete against (ie TCU) have moved on to bigger and better things (comittment) while unt has not (our wonderful record during the last 5 years)..I personally like TD, I really feel for the players and the students.

I hope you are right about things changing next year....I would much rather be 100 % wrong and you be 100% right..I just don't think this is the case. Unt needs to be more agressive to change the football culture at UNT.

Well, if this is what we are getting near the end of 3 yrs of TD at the helm, then i don't think I'm up for any more....he, himself said in his last post game interview he made two terrible calls in the red zone...I think there were many more....yes this team has talent on it, it is the coaching that is the problem...lack of urgency when things turn in the wrong direction....lack of agressiviness of the defense...just watch Texas defense and see how aggressive they are...I dn't see this with the UNT defense but I use to see this with the UNT defense when Bogger was playing...we had a very good defense then....now we struggle to be in the game with the bottom of div I teams and usually lose to them...we let 2 TD leads go away..etc.

I will tell you this....schools that really want to win and be champions don't accept this kind of performance....period. UNt has for years but UNt has been the laughing stock of college football for most of the time I have been following it (since about 1975)...teams we use to regularly play and beat (ie boise state) and compete against (ie TCU) have moved on to bigger and better things (comittment) while unt has not (our wonderful record during the last 5 years)..I personally like TD, I really feel for the players and the students.

I hope you are right about things changing next year....I would much rather be 100 % wrong and you be 100% right..I just don't think this is the case. Unt needs to be more agressive to change the football culture at UNT.

agree very much