I Guess I Saw A Different Game

NorthTexan95

I keep hearing how people still see 6-6... for the life of me I don't see it.

What God's green earth do you see that will get us there?

We might be able to win against WKU, Army, and FIU/FAU. But, with our inconsistency i don't see how we can win all of them... Just a couple.

Over the course of a season mistakes are correctable, talent gaps are not. That is what people see. This team has the talent to win out....or lose out if they keep beating themselves. It's entirely up the players to bear down and start doing the things it takes to win.

our starting qb has had 8 turnovers the past 2 games. am i the only one who thinks its time for a change?

Yes...He also leads the conference in total offense and is 28th in the nation overall...And whom would you start in his place?

Mistakes are coachable, talent is not...

our starting qb has had 8 turnovers the past 2 games. am i the only one who thinks its time for a change?

Tho I'm not happy with everything that has gone on , you can't put it all on Riley. I know that on at least 2 picks the WR ran the wrong route. Just remember he knows this system better than anyone so more than likely he's putting the ball where it should be.Now he has thrown a few picks that he just seemed to loft and I hope he is learning from those mistakes. Mistakes will happen , he is still a freshman.

It's impossible to know what Tune would do if he were in , but I think it's unrealistic to think he wouldn't at least a few TO's as well if he had started the last 2 games as well.

Some good points in this thread with out too much just plain "I hate Dodge" stuff or "his ass better be out of here" stuff. That, in itself, is an improvement...I believe created due to the improved play by the Mean Green so far this season. Before the season started many were wanting to see improvement. If you can't see improvement in this team over the last couple of years you simply are not looking. The ULL should have been in the win catagory, and the reason it is not can be an excellent "coach-able" for the staff. Riley is a red shirt freshman and will continue to make red shirt freshman mistakes, but there in no argument that the kid has talent and that he seems to have the team behind him. The team came back to lead late ... late...in the 4th qtr and without a pretty "not so smart" play and a pretty bad call the Mean Green walk away with the "W". Close, so very close...and while that "close" stuff only counts in washers and hand grenades, it shows the progress being made on the field and by the coaching staff.

OK, maybe UNT will not go 6-6..OK, I predicted 5-7 and will stay with that.

Man, this loss hurt....but, "upon further review", I see the progress I had been looking forward to seeing. I( sense a win for homecoming, and I can't wait to be there this Saturday for the win...OK, and for the tailgating too.

GO MEAN GREEN!

What happended ? I've never heard this before , it was before my time

Tyler, besides taking a .500 team and turning into a 2 win team, almost got NT put on NCAA probation for giving players improper benefits. Among other things, he let players make long distance calls from the athletic department phones. That doesn't sound like much today, but in 1981 calling from Denton to Dallas cost you about $1 a minute with a three minute minimum. You phone bill was often as much as your power bill back then!

Tyler had been fired after the 78 season from Mississippi State for getting them put on NCAA probation. MSU had to forfeit 18 games between 75 and 77 because of Tyler changing a 9-3 '76 season from 9-2 and ranked 20th in the AP poll into an official 0-11. After all of that, NT hired in for the 81 season to replace Jerry Moore who had jumped to Texas Tech.

Tyler managed to alienate the faculty, the alumni and even NT coaches in other sports. Those of you who thought DD said bad things to and about fans never encountered Bob Tyler!

When the NCAA made NT move to the newly created 1AA class because of our previous three (or was it four, I forget exactly) year's average attendance and stadium size, the faculty was so mad at Tyler it led to a move to drop football altogether. A few faculty members always thought that way, but Tyler caused the number of them feeling that way to increase dramatically.

While Todd Dodge is not perfect, our recruiting has improved since he got here, our attendance has increased since he got here, the number of positive national stories about our team increased since he got here and the overall support for football on campus has increased since he got here. In Bob Tyler's case, all of those things got worse during his single year.

That is why Bob Tyler is unquestionably the worst coach in our history.

Yes...He also leads the conference in total offense and is 28th in the nation overall...And whom would you start in his place?

Mistakes are coachable, talent is not...

this is a team sport. regardless of his individual stats, we have only won 1 game, and he gave ulala 10 points on picks pulse fumbled on about their 25. i bet he also leads conference in interception to touchdown ratio, and probably ranks high nationally as well. in colorado/texas game coach hawkins benched his qb[also his son] after two 1st half interceptions. i have a hard time beleaving that if our qb was not the coaches son he would not have replaced by nathan tune at halftime.

Tyler, besides taking a .500 team and turning into a 2 win team, almost got NT put on NCAA probation for giving players improper benefits. Among other things, he let players make long distance calls from the athletic department phones. That doesn't sound like much today, but in 1981 calling from Denton to Dallas cost you about $1 a minute with a three minute minimum. You phone bill was often as much as your power bill back then!

Tyler had been fired after the 78 season from Mississippi State for getting them put on NCAA probation. MSU had to forfeit 18 games between 75 and 77 because of Tyler changing a 9-3 '76 season from 9-2 and ranked 20th in the AP poll into an official 0-11. After all of that, NT hired in for the 81 season to replace Jerry Moore who had jumped to Texas Tech.

Tyler managed to alienate the faculty, the alumni and even NT coaches in other sports. Those of you who thought DD said bad things to and about fans never encountered Bob Tyler!

When the NCAA made NT move to the newly created 1AA class because of our previous three (or was it four, I forget exactly) year's average attendance and stadium size, the faculty was so mad at Tyler it led to a move to drop football altogether. A few faculty members always thought that way, but Tyler caused the number of them feeling that way to increase dramatically.

While Todd Dodge is not perfect, our recruiting has improved since he got here, our attendance has increased since he got here, the number of positive national stories about our team increased since he got here and the overall support for football on campus has increased since he got here. In Bob Tyler's case, all of those things got worse during his single year.

That is why Bob Tyler is unquestionably the worst coach in our history.

Who did Dennis Parker ever beat other than ACC & Nichols State? Oh yeah he was the other HS experiment wasn't he?

Who did Dennis Parker ever beat other than ACC & Nichols State? Oh yeah he was the other HS experiment wasn't he?

Dennis was only given 3 years. In Matt Simon's first year, the guys Dennis recruited won the Southland. That was also Simon's only successful year as as his recruiting quality went down every year there after. Simon was why the cupboard was so empty of quality players when DD arrived.

Tyler never coached again at any level after he was fired. Parker went back to high school as a head coach and then moved to HC at TLC. Parker was also fan friendly.

Dennis was only given 3 years. In Matt Simon's first year, the guys Dennis recruited won the Southland. That was also Simon's only successful year as as his recruiting quality went down every year there after. Simon was why the cupboard was so empty of quality players when DD arrived.

Tyler never coached again at any level after he was fired. Parker went back to high school as a head coach and then moved to HC at TLC. Parker was also fan friendly.

Parker had the team learn the Alma Mater and had them gather in front of the Band at the end of the game to sing along with the students.

Having seen both Parker and Simon closely during my years working down at the AD, this is a summation in my opinion of both:

Parker was a great family man and had a strong faith. He was meant to be a high school coach--he connected with kids and their families and really wanted them to become better men as he played a fatherly role. He was very much unprepared for being a head coach of a college team, though. He was very much in over his head. I remember in his last year, he spent the entire off-season and fall camp having the team read a book called Psycho-Cybernetics because he was convinced that his guys would understand that we could go up to Lincoln, Nebraska and beat them. He was so convince that we would go up there and compete and he talked to the team about when Odessa Pemian came into Marshall ranked #1 and his team out there beat them by a point. He thought UNT could do the same because his Marshall team knocked off that grand program out west in Permian. Well, we lost a squeaker 76-14 to a team that played for the national championship in I-A. It just showed how out of place he really was at UNT.

Simon was not in over his head as a head coach at a college. He had a lot of experience as an assistant, especially under Don James at Washington, where they won a national championship. He had a great offensive mind and he especially connected with the running backs and the OLine. His saga was really the most disappointing of any UNT coach since Fry--he had GREAT potential, but two things absolutely sunk his tenure as a head coach--he was unbelievably paranoid and he believed that he was often a victim of racism. Before games, he would meet with the head coach at midfield and openly accuse them of spying on his practices. During practice, he would send various staff over to students who were at practice to enjoy a nice day and ask them why they were there. During games, he would accuse the referees of being racist--one particular game, he told one ref that all the official wanted was for Simon to call him "Massah", which immediately drew a flag. He would call the DRC and complain that the owners there were racist and wanted him fired. In the end, that paranoia just buried him. The chip he carried on his shoulder was great when he wanted to motivate the team in a big game. But when the opponent was not a big name, his teams almost always got outplayed because he couldn't motivate them against the lesser opponents. Simon SHOULD have been a successful coach here, similar to what the Troy coach has been to them--in place for many years and having a reputation as someone you really could lose to if you weren't prepared. But his personal stuff just did him in, at least in my opinion.